• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Edwards makes bad decisions, Can't shoot, terrible play maker and doesn't play defense.  What do people see in this guy? Plus the Hawks already have 2 young shooting guards on the roster so where does Edwards fit in?

You were one of the main Cam detractors last season too.  Do you see the potential with him now?  Edwards has tools that can't be taught and skills that can be coached up. I believe he's one of the top 3 youngest players in this draft.  

The Hawks need another scorer and Edwards could be that,  although not right away.  He also has defensive upside too. I rather have someone who would potentially be a great player than someone who tops out as a role player.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2

Part of that terrible playmaker stuff is because Hammonds was the only guy that could score or rebound consistently inside and that guy's energy and dedication was very much a rollercoaster this past season. Edwards can handle it and will help a point guard out because of it though believe patience will be key with him as well as all of the first round this year. Think the most patience required will be with his three pointer because the defensive part is more of an unknown. Crean just runs, runs and runs some more and truly doesn't seem to care about the D. Believe Edwards offense at some point will be a plus one guy like a much bigger and stronger version of Lou Williams. Don't expect anyone in this draft to come in and take over overnight. 

• Like 1

If we're truly going to make 20/21 a win or die year for multiple people, we don't have the time to facilitate another major learning year from a "risk" prospect, even off the bench. The play with Edwards is honestly a redshirt rookie year where he sees minimal to 0 time on the floor and more time in the G-league, which has a high unlikelihood of happening in any case, but that's what should be the play.

The way I see it, is if he doesn't bust, the likelihood is very high he's like Victor Oladipo, except not as far along and Victor Oladipo truly wasn't Victor Oladipo for YEARS. I think it's very likely he gets traded before he reaches his potential, maybe even traded more than once.

I'm also a no on Wiseman however, and I'm an "uncertain" on Toppin. 

10 hours ago, Thomas said:

Folks really don't like this draft anyway

Folks loved the 2014 draft and hyped it hard. Wiggins and Jabari didn’t amount to much. I agree though with a point guard heavy draft, the best we could do is BPA but if it’s a point guard at that spot we might wanna trade with a desperate team looking to move up but has bad front office skills. I’d love a trade with the Twolves or Suns, they always seem to find their way back to the lottery. Maybe swap for an unprotected 2023 pick or top 3 protected and a young rising guy in a trade.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Folks loved the 2014 draft and hyped it hard. Wiggins and Jabari didn’t amount to much. I agree though with a point guard heavy draft, the best we could do is BPA but if it’s a point guard at that spot we might wanna trade with a desperate team looking to move up but has bad front office skills. I’d love a trade with the Twolves or Suns, they always seem to find their way back to the lottery. Maybe swap for an unprotected 2023 pick or top 3 protected and a young rising guy in a trade.

Yeah, The Joker Is Wild with this draft. Not so sure anyone will be a consistent plus if played a good bit more than twenty minutes per their rookie season. Pretty confusing to me really. If we did take a point with a slight trade down I do like the two bigger kids just not sure with a rookie and Goodwin as our backups. Teague is not the end of the world to me depending on price. Still would like a SF in the middle or a tad later in the first to go with whoever we take early on.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Toppin Doesn't shoot 27% from 3

Very good point. Solid shooter/scorer from anywhere and really does not mind contact. Like said earlier think JC and Toppin are a one two punch other teams will not match well for 48 at PF. Still don't think TS goes that way but am ok with it if it is around #5. 

STATS
2019-20
2018-19

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
31 31.6 63.3 39.0 70.2 7.5 2.2 1.2 1.0 1.6 2.2 20.0
33 26.5 66.6 52.4 71.3 5.6 1.8 0.8 0.6 2.1 1.9 14.4
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, marco102 said:

You were one of the main Cam detractors last season too.  Do you see the potential with him now? 

I was not in favor of drafting Cam over better players like Brandon Clarke and I wanted a center.  After the Hawks drafted him, I've not said one thing about him

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I was not in favor of drafting Cam over better players like Brandon Clarke and I wanted a center.  After the Hawks drafted him, I've not said one thing about him

Maybe you'd do the same with Edwards.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Are you O.K. with his shooting splits?

You talking about Cam Reddish?

Cam was epic level bad with his shooting splits in college.  I've been very happy with his 2020 shooting splits with the hope he can be even better for the future.

I'm not sold on Edwards personally but do see him having some intriguing tools in a draft where a lot of players don't have them.  There isn't a perfect prospect in this draft.  You are going to have to take on a profile that indicates more limited upside or one that indicates more risk than you'd really want from the guys taken in the top 10.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Cam was epic level bad with his shooting splits in college.  I've been very happy with his 2020 shooting splits with the hope he can be even better for the future.

I'm not sold on Edwards personally but do see him having some intriguing tools in a draft where a lot of players don't have them.  There isn't a perfect prospect in this draft.  You are going to have to take on a profile that indicates more limited upside or one that indicates more risk than you'd really want from the guys taken in the top 10.

So what do you do with Cam and Huerter if you draft Edwards?  And why would you draft a shooting guard 3 years in a row in the 1st round?

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

At least Cam was a good defender in College.

If you have a top 5 pick you just take the BPA, is not that we have a long term solution at SG, Huerter is a backup at best and a pooe fit for Trae. Hunter has had a poor season, I am not sold on him yet as a full time starter. Reddish I think can be a long term starter and he can play SG and SF, why would you not add a player with star potential at SG?

Same applies to Wiseman, Capela and Collins are your options, after that ther is nothing, why not draft a possible future big star?

We have no real stars other than Trae, we need to go BPA. Sure I also see Trae, Reddish Collins and Capela as capable starters next year but they need help

4 hours ago, Thomas said:

The Joker Is Wild with this draft

Could we have the old Spurs brass (or are they still there, RC Buford and company) to get a Manu type for us in this draft. Many went what like 58th or somewhere around there. I agree it’s a draft where you hit on a sleeper like Mark Price, Rodman, just a middle of the 1st or 2nd round steal. 

Ya, if we are confident in our scouts, by all means target your man and trade down if it’s available.

• Like 1

Anyway, here's my opinion as of right now. As I look deeper and depending on how the lottery balls fall, my opinion might change, as I've only looked some...

Tiers:

"Just take BPA, dang it, we're not even close to complete as a team and we badly need a 2nd star":

Anthony Edwards - Redshirt him. This is an very raw product that received awful coaching and no structure IMO from Crean. The only way this case has a shot of having a happy ending (JMO) in Atlanta and not an Oladipo like ending (where he breaks out elsewhere), would be if he were brought along extremely slowly, even slower than Reddish was. Do what the Spurs did with Lonnie Walker.

NOTE: I'm NOT putting Wiseman here because I don't trust him! I get a bad rub here.

(And I know that NONE of that would happen, that's not realistic with a high lotto guy)

The best play for the 2020 draft most likely (this is where I think most would land here and I'm here myself), in order:

Tyrese Haliburton - Other than the shot possibly being a hinderance, there's a lot to like for me here even though he's a PG (although he can play the wing with his height if he can add some bulk). If his shot translates I see a glue guy type that can help affect winning.
Obi Toppin - I don't love him at the NBA level, but his floor is super high and he likely becomes instant impact offense off the bench as soon as he's there. Not a great fit for the Hawks, but this draft is awful.
Killian Hayes - I haven't seen video of him yet, but based off description that I've read, he fits. The backups of Trae Young definitely need to be guys that have much, much better defensive potential than him. If we choose to go PG in the draft, I'd rather Haliburton as he's a little older though.
Onyeka Okongwu - Honestly need to see him too but others have said he fits our system, and if you want to go big man, I'd actually rather him than Wiseman.
RJ Hampton - I'll be honest, need to watch him as well (I really haven't looked much at NBA draft stuff at all), but if you were to go with a PG/CG in this draft, I would go Haliburton, Hayes, Hampton, and probably more before looking at Cole Anthony. Could always turn out to be wrong there though!

Big man plays:

Obi Toppin
Onyeka Okongwu

SG/SF plays if you want to play the I don't trust Hunter at all game, non-Edwards camp and this one's not in order (and likely doesn't include everyone):

Saddiq Bey - Was a dead eye 3 point shooter this year, played for a winning program that plays unselfish basketball in Villanova, 3 and D prospect.
Devin Vassell - Good 3 and D prospect.
Jaden McDaniels - Purely an upside play.

Honestly, I'm even more convinced that this draft is the one where playing the game of trading down if you get a pick in the top 5 would be a good idea after looking at this. Don't think this year's the time to be playing the upside lottery, maybe this is your year that you pick up a player that will help affect you in winning ways. I would try to grab another asset in the trade for sure though, even if it's not a player.

I also need to see more Deni Avdija. Other than Haliburton and Edwards (for obvious reasons if you've followed along), he was the guy that I had seen a couple minutes of today. He interests me some, but I'm uncertain.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

So what do you do with Cam and Huerter if you draft Edwards?  And why would you draft a shooting guard 3 years in a row in the 1st round?

Cam is easy.  He can play SF just fine.  The only "problem" you run into is if both Cam and Hunter turn out to be starts.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Cam is easy.  He can play SF just fine.  The only "problem" you run into is if both Cam and Hunter turn out to be starts.

Hunter will be the Hawk's starting small forward going forward.  I don't know why this is in question by Hawks fans.  Cam has more shooting guard skills than small forward.  We need a real back up small forward rather than do the LP and place players out of position like he regularly does which leads to losses.

Hunter will be the Hawk's starting small forward going forward.  I don't know why this is in question by Hawks fans.  Cam has more shooting guard skills than small forward.  We need a real back up small forward rather than do the LP and place players out of position like he regularly does which leads to losses.

Question, please define SG skills vs SF skills in this NBA.  What would you consider Paul George?  Most consider him a SF, but the clippers list him as their SG.

• Like 3

Okoro. That’s why I’m on him because moving forward I agree these are locked 🔒 in positions to me.

PG - Trae/open

SG- Cam/Huerter

SF- Hunter/open

PF-Collins/open

C- Capela/Bruno

We are in need of a BA at 3 slots.

PG/SF/PF

Most likely 1 slot is taken care of in the draft and the other 2 via free agency or trade. The backup point almost certainly cannot be targeted in the draft. Most would be in agreement that we need a vet backup point. That leaves SF/PF, one in the draft and one in free agency.

The best SF/PF prospects for us:

1. Obi Toppin sf/pf

2. Onyeka Okongwu Pf/c

3. Deni Avdija

4. Isaac Okoro

Having said those names you land a top 2 it’s either Edwards or Wiseman to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I'm still high on Hunter.  He hasn't proven he is a star SF by any means but I like his potential a lot.  If he turns out to be a Kelly Oubre type then you don't pass on a Paul George type to keep him.  But this is where TS has to make his money.  I don't really have a dog in this hunt other than to note that we have one superstar in Trae and two guys who look like high potential All-Stars (i.e., they have high potential to make one or more All-Star teams) to me in JC and Cam.  Hunter and Huerter both look like players who could be starters or nice rotation pieces depending on how they develop (with Hunter having a significant edge due to his much stronger and more versatile defense).

• Like 3