• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Thank you @NBASupes!  Its a pretty simple concept!  Players like Lebron and Jordan in their primes would cost a lot but still would be a bargain regardless of what you paid them because the player caps would not allow you to pay them their true value.  Conversely, there are players that would be signed for the vet minimum and would still be overpaid.

I don’t disagree with anything you been saying and I actually agree that Bertāns actual value is 10-12 mil....I think that’s his real actual value as well however I believe he will certainly get paid 15-20 mil this summer by some team out there. 

I would pay him 15-20 mil if I were running the show as I’d be confident that “this overpay” would payoff in huge way for the team. 

I think the value of being an really good or great shooter is enough for some players to push them pass their actual value. It’s the era we are in and perhaps like you said maybe Schlenk passes on him if he can’t get him at his actual value.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JTB said:

perhaps like you said maybe Schlenk passes on him if he can’t get him at his actual value.

If he is smart, this is exactly what he should do.  We are not 1 mediocre player away.  We still have a lot of players we need to develop.  Find bargains like Christian Wood was last year.  That's what the great GM's do.  The mediocre ones overpay constantly and don't win.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

If he was smart, this is exactly what he should do.  We are not 1 player mediocre away.  We still have a lot of players we need to develop.  Find bargains like Christian Wood was last year.  That's what the great GM's do.  The mediocre ones overpay constantly and don't win.

Hey I agree I just don’t think free agency works like that as far as the more familiar names go. Wood will be overpaid too....almost any shooter who had a good to very good season is going to get overpaid in my opinion.

which is why I’m ok with paying Harrell because I know he has plenty of more 6th man of the year type seasons in him. And 6th men usually get paid well anyways. 

Moving on...almost any shooter this board has talked about that has somewhat of a familiar name to those who follow the nba world .....I think that player will get overpaid  to an extent (Joe Harris, Woods, Bertāns, etc) unless the COVID19 affects the cap in some way.

3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Oh I’m saying from the general posters usually you get an idea of who wants whom. Like I want Trez, Buzz 🐝 wants Joe Harris, etc. 

You don’t seem to every definitely state who you would go after. Just feels like a game in which you can never be wrong on anything lol. You found a loophole in the system. Even @kg01 yells out COLLIN SEXTON every now n again.

Whose your horse 🐎 in this free agency for us?

I want Bertans, Grant, Crowder most. Harris creates an expensive log jam at SG, his best position, in my opinion. BU PG, PF, SF in that order is what we need.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, JTB said:

Hey I agree I just don’t think free agency works like that as far as the more familiar names go. Wood will be overpaid too....almost any shooter who had a good to very good season is going to get overpaid in my opinion.

which is why I’m ok with paying Harrell because I know he has plenty of more 6th man of the year type seasons in him. And 6th men usually get paid well anyways. 

Moving on...almost any shooter this board has talked about that has somewhat of a familiar name to those who follow the nba world .....I think that player will get overpaid  to an extent (Joe Harris, Woods, Bertāns, etc) unless the COVID19 affects the cap in some way.

I think you missed my point about Woods.  I said find an under valued player like Wood was last year.  Secondly, I don't care who gets over paid by the Knicks...Let them do it not us.  3rdly I might be more flexible with Harrell since he was a difference maker with his team last year and his metrics are much better than those shooters you mentioned.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

We are not 1 player mediocre away.

I think we are already there. The Collins suspension and Huerter injury took it away. From January 14th until March 11th ( the end of the season ) we went 12 and 15. Keeping in mind that is with Capela riding the pine; and we are looking at the very definition of a mediocre team in my opinion.

Trae, Collins, Huerter, Hunter, Reddish, and to a smaller extent Dedmon contributed to that.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2020_games.html

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I think we are already there. The Collins suspension and Huerter injury took it away. From January 14th until March 11th ( the end of the season ) we went 12 and 15. Keeping in mind that is not with Capela; and we are looking at the very definition of a mediocre team in my onion.

Trae, Collins, Huerter, Hunter, Reddish, and to a smaller extent Dedmon contributed to that.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2020_games.html

I screwed that sentence up...It should have read that we are not 1 mediocre player away. LOL!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He does, which is why he said that. The issue is, bargains can be had for a bigger price tag, bargains and being cheap are two different things. Overpaying is what we want to avoid. 

No. If he (or anyone else) thinks overpaying on a 1-year deal is a "franchise killer" then they don't understand. There's virtually no downside in our position.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, High5 said:

No. If he (or anyone else) thinks overpaying on a 1-year deal is a "franchise killer" then they don't understand. There's virtually no downside in our position.

I'd be OK with a 1 year $20 million deal. It's going to be interesting to see how players play the uncertainty with cap....short term high dollar or long term low dollar.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I think you missed my point about Woods.  I said find an under valued player like Wood was last year.  

Do you have a list of guys who fit that Christian Wood mold?

Here are some FA PFs in their mid 20s and younger to consider.

PFs - Juan Hernangomez(24) (restricted),  Dario Saric(26) (restricted), Harry Giles(22), Noah Vonleh (how is he still only 24?), Calen Swanigan(23), our ver own Skal Lab.

SFs - Derrick Jones Jr, Josh Jackson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Stanley Johnson, Bruno Caboclo

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, High5 said:

So what is the point of paying Bertan $20 million for 1 season.  What would that accomplish?

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Here are some FA PFs in their mid 20s and younger to consider.

PFs - Juan Hernangomez(24) (restricted),  Dario Saric(26) (restricted), Harry Giles(22), Noah Vonleh (how is he still only 24?), Calen Swanigan(23), our ver own Skal Lab.

I don't have a list this year but several of us identified Woods last year but Schlenk didn't bite.  Years before it was Cook.  Ferry was the master of that signing undervalued guys like Millsap, Korver and Carrol.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

I don't have a list this year but several of us identified Woods last year but Schlenk didn't bit.  Years before it was Cook.  Ferry was the master of that signing undervalued guys like Millsap, Korver and Carrol.

TS didn't have to before as we were still in rebuild and asset acquisition mode. It was about using capspace for picks. TS has said for this FAcy 'he's looking for guys stuck on other teams benches' so to me that means the undervalued guys.

Korver was a salary dump from the Bulls trade as part of the JoeJohn deal.(I think - and some here didn't think he'd resign with the Hawks).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

So what is the point of paying Bertan $20 million for 1 season.  What would that accomplish?

It would accomplish adding arguably the best shooter on the market to the worst shooting team in the league. And it may not take $20 million, but whatever it takes will likely be considered an overpay and that's fine. We would still have plenty of money for other signings. 

• Thanks 4

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

These are my candidates for the next Christian Wood.

Robert Williams (team option)

Chris Boucher (free agent)

Khem Birch  (Signed 1 more year $3mill)

Kenrich Williams (free agent)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, High5 said:

It would accomplish adding arguably the best shooter on the market to the worst shooting team in the league. And it may not take $20 million, but whatever it takes will likely be considered an overpay and that's fine. We would still have plenty of money for other signings. 

Bertans offers the versatility to play along side Capela when Collins rest; and he can also play along side Collins when LP wants to do the damn small ball thing ( Capela rest ). I like him better on a 3 or 4 year deal with a team option; but getting him at all is a win in my book.

My 2nd choice is Grant; and he might end up being a good bit cheaper.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

TS didn't have to before as we were still in rebuild and asset acquisition mode. It was about using capspace for picks. TS has said for this FAcy 'he's looking for guys stuck on other teams benches' so to me that means the undervalued guys.

Korver was a salary dump from the Bulls trade as part of the JoeJohn deal.(I think - and some here didn't think he'd resign with the Hawks).

I had no clue he said this or I forgot. If that is the case Schlenk is definitely not going after the more familiar free agent names.