• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

52 minutes ago, JTB said:

I had no clue he said this or I forgot. If that is the case Schlenk is definitely not going after the more familiar free agent names.

I don't think it means that. Bench players like Bertans and Grant strongly qualify as targets in my opinion. I think it is probably shooting the backers of Ingram and Harris in the foot.

Bertans has only started 32 out of 274 games. Grant has started 167 out of 447. Schlenk did not say no name players but he did say teams bench payers.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JTB said:

I had no clue he said this or I forgot. If that is the case Schlenk is definitely not going after the more familiar free agent names.

Schlenk said he would prefer to add players who are in their mid-20s (and younger). So, that doesn’t include Brooklyn’s Joe Harris (28 years old), a fan favorite for those closely following the Hawks’ free-agency pursuits, Washington’s Davis Bertans (27) and Sacramento’s Bogdan Bogdanovic (27). All three of those players would fit in with the Hawks’ needs, but we’ll get to those players in a future story previewing the rest of the team’s free-agency strategy.

“If there are guys that we think are good fits, we might be out of the gates a little bit sooner,” Schlenk said. “I think the thing I’m always hesitant of is a lot of the times the first couple of contracts handed out might not be the best ones that look the best on paper. I think it’s conceivable that we might make some offers (well) before we have in the past, but whether or not agents or players jump at the offers we make right away or see if there’s something better out there might prevent us from signing someone right away. I do anticipate us being a little more assertive in free agency, but it all depends on the cap and if it shrinks.

TS says a lot of things, but with CAP uncertainty the way it is, things can change.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member

More @JTB  (i think the other comment I referenced was around the trade deadline)

Schlenk said, ideally, he will add players he feels are still growing or can still grow with the young core that is currently in place. That’s why the Capela trade made sense because he’s only 25 years old and was losing value to Houston with its stylistic change on offense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

More @JTB  (i think the other comment I referenced was around the trade deadline)

Thanks I read this before but I guess ignored the part where he stated “still growing”....I’m sure Schlenk would go after a fully established player for the right price however.

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Doesn't sound like Schlenk is interested in expensive 1 year deals which is great news!

I think he’d do it if he has eyes set on 2021....we’ll see.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Doesn't sound like Schlenk is interested in expensive 1 year deals which is great news!

Ideally, No....but with the Salary Cap uncertainty because of CV19, I would say, everything is on the table. 

If the cap remain at $115 or drops to last years $109 for this offseason, we are still in good shape. It's the projections for 2021 that'll be the one to watch. Do you want to tie up too much long term money this offseason on 'a weak FA class' without knowing where the Cap is projected for next offseason also considering extensions for Collins and Trae. It's a juggling act.

I think the Hawks are sitting in the ideal position to pounce on the possible financial fallout from other teams.

This is the first offseason for Travis Schlenk where FAcy really matters in terms of finding real NBA talent to supplement his young core draftees.  We are transitioning from strictly using capspace for assets acquisition.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I don't think it means that. Bench players like Bertans and Grant strongly qualify as targets in my opinion. I think it is probably shooting the backers of Ingram and Harris in the foot.

Bertans has only started 32 out of 274 games. Grant has started 167 out of 447. Schlenk did not say no name players but he did say teams bench payers.

Grant is 25 so he fits.

If Grant opts out of his $9 mil, how much are you willing to offer. 

He fills a need at both SF and PF.

23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Grant is 25 so he fits.

I would be willing to go 12M with yearly decreases. Maybe as high as 4 years 50M front loaded and decreases. Give me a team option. I think that would make the Nuggets flinch. With the decreases, he would be only a little above a MLE towards the end of his contract which I think is excellent value.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Personal Insults Don't Fly Around Here.  Please take another crack at discussing the topic at hand.  Thanks. 

AHF

57 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Grant is 25 so he fits.

Something else I have been thinking about. If Schlenk goes all in on Bertans and Grant, and we draft Haliburton.

Backcourt:

Trae, Reddish, Huerter, Haliburton, ( Teague, Goodwin  maybes )

Frontcourt:

Hunter, Grant, Collins, Bertans, Capela, Dedmon, Fernando, ( Skal maybe )

With the versatility of:

Haliburton to play PG or SG

Huerter and Reddish to play SG or SF

Grant to play SF or PF; maybe the same for Hunter in LP's eyes.

Collins to play PF or Center

I think our lineup is set even if Dedmon walks in 2021.

The big question besides will they both sign with us, is Schlenk willing to invest close to 30 Million in two players this season?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Grant really doesn't fit our style of play at all. Signing him is like signing Aminu for Orlando. The fit just doesn't make sense and it didn't for Orlando

Of course he fits. Like a glove on our 2nd team to be honest. He plays hard nosed defense; and unlike over half our bench, he has shot above the league average 3P% two seasons in a row ( .392 and .400 ).

Bembry and Vince walk and sign Grant please!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Grant really doesn't fit our style of play at all. Signing him is like signing Aminu for Orlando. The fit just doesn't make sense and it didn't for Orlando

Orlando doesn’t have Trae. 😉 I think Grant is solid and he’s the type of guy that will make himself fit into a scheme. That’s the impression I get anyway.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Do you want to tie up too much long term money this offseason on 'a weak FA class' without knowing where the Cap is projected for next offseason also considering extensions for Collins and Trae. It's a juggling act.

Yes!  At the right discount!  for example, I would absolutely sign Harrell to a 3 year deal averaging $12 mil per season

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Of course he fits. Like a glove on our 2nd team to be honest. He does not need the ball and he plays hard nosed defense. And unlike over half our bench, he has shot above the league average 3P% two seasons in a row ( .392 and .400 ).

Bembry and Vince walk and sign Grant please!

Lol, you always think people who don't fit certain roles fit. I mean always. 

You still Collins can defend in space. 

How does Grant fit a PDS system?

OKC is where he had his best success isn't one at all. 

DEN where he had moderate success is a movement based system and he didn't really have any impact, rocking close to the same WAR as rookie Cam Reddish who was one of the worst players in the NBA for two months. 

So he's suppose to fit a PDS system which is a high volume big man touches system? LOL, stop it 

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Orlando doesn’t have Trae. 😉 I think Grant is solid and he’s the type of guy that will make himself fit into a scheme. That’s the impression I get anyway.

No, it don't work like that. We did this shit with Jabari Parker. Not again