• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-2021 Season News and Notes

JayBirdHawk

To be fair, every player on a rookie scale or making below the mid level exception shouldn't be affected by the 50 game season, if it comes to that.   Let the LeBrons, Pauls, etc. who want to start mid January take the hit. 

I guarenttee if they had the option to take a 50% - 70% pay cut to play in January, the season would  be starting in December. 

I say this because I believe it's those super star players holding up the negotiations, while the "little" men in the nba aren't really getting too much of a say.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, marco102 said:

To be fair, every player on a rookie scale or making below the mid level exception shouldn't be affected by the 50 game season, if it comes to that.   Let the LeBrons, Pauls, etc. who want to start mid January take the hit. 

I guarenttee if they had the option to take a 50% - 70% pay cut to play in January, the season would  be starting in December. 

I say this because I believe it's those super star players holding up the negotiations, while the "little" men in the nba aren't really getting too much of a say.

NBA role players should have their own separate union. 

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Sounds like everywhere in the world where the movers and shakers make the decisions and the rest of us get to deal with the consequences.  I like your idea of making the stars take the financial hit.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The NBA is considering allowing a second jersey sponsorship patch on game jerseys for the 20-21 season.

The league launched its jersey sponsorship program for the 17-18 season.

The NBA asked teams to submit new revenue generating ideas to offset financial losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“These new opportunities showcase the willingness we have as a league and teams to continue to find innovative ways to drive value for our partners and fans,” said Cleveland Cavaliers President Nic Barlage.

JOHN LOMBARDO/SPORTS BUSINESS JOURNAL

• Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, AHF said:

Really don't want to end up with garbage uniforms like this in the future:

nascar%2Buniform%2Bimages.png

I don't think it get's to this. 

How do you feel about the 1 now vs when you 1st heard of ads on jerseys 3 years ago? I don't even recognize it.

Other ad ideas:

The NBA is opening lucrative new revenue streams to help teams offset steep losses from last season and limit financial hits should games next season be played in front of a limited number of fans or in empty arenas. Teams now will be able to sell the previously off-limit baseline apron areas near the baskets as new high-profile sponsorship inventory. The baseline apron hard signage will be allowed only on local regional sports network broadcasts; no decision has been made on extending the signage to national broadcasts.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2020/11/02/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NBA.aspx

• Premium Member

The National Basketball Players Association is planning to hold a vote on Thursday night or Friday morning regarding the Dec. 22 start format to the 2020-21 season amid the coronavirus pandemic, sources told The Athletic.

The NBPA, led by executive director Michele Roberts, started formal conference calls with players from all 30 teams this week. Players have been holding calls with the NBPA beginning Monday and will go through Thursday morning. Players coming out of several meetings believe a Dec. 22 start is inevitable, sources said.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Does that mean they are going to test the fans?   don't see how that's possible.   Some fans is cool but 10-12 feet away from court isn't really good enough.  The arena is largely empty.  Just put them back off the floor.     I'm also curious if there has been any effort to try to ventilate arenas more with getting outside air in. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Does that mean they are going to test the fans?   don't see how that's possible.   Some fans is cool but 10-12 feet away from court isn't really good enough.  The arena is largely empty.  Just put them back off the floor.     I'm also curious if there has been any effort to try to ventilate arenas more with getting outside air in. 

That's they way I read it about testing for fans, I guess it would have to be rapid testing and they'd have to consent to the testing.....it also said 'arena suites'.

I read awhile back that they are upgrading there filter systems for the AC as well.  I don't think they can bring in 'untreated' fresh outside air directly into a conditioned space. Will created too much humidity in the space.  (IIRC how that works)