• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-2021 Season News and Notes

JayBirdHawk

22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is annoying.  They had 4 months off, played for 2months with NO Travel, now off for another 2 months.   Hawks didn't get to the bubble, 'Stars' didn't want them there.  Let them play sooner rather than later.

Especially when you consider most teams left the bubble long ago. 6 teams got eliminated before the playoffs and another 8 in the first round. Thats 14 out off 22 bubble teams that have been home before September essentially. And another 4 sent home by mid September.

This would only be an accommodation for the final 4 teams, and really just  for Lebron, King of Basketball.

Most of the bubble teams will have gotten 3 months off in between the start combined with the other 4 months they had off in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is annoying.  They had 4 months off, played for 2months with NO Travel, now off for another 2 months.   Hawks didn't get to the bubble, 'Stars' didn't want them there.  Let them play sooner rather than later.

The Lakers-Heat just wrapped a couple weeks ago. That's an extremely short turnaround 

13 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't call many things, or anything, right but i called this one.  I knew there was no way lebron was going back in december.  lakers, celtics and probably heat are going to be bitching up a storm.    Lebron needs 'recoup' time.

Just make LeBron commission. Does the league ever say no to anything he asks?

17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He can 'recoup' in Miami.

My thoughts exactly. Just take the time off you that think you need. No one would blame you.

Meanwhile, does that ultimately undermine the logic of starting back sooner? Because whats the point of having Xmas games if your best teams and stars are on a load management / excused absence to start the year?

Except, playing Devils advocate here, you do essentially have 2 franchises in Golden State and Brooklyn that you could market behind with stars who are fresh while Brons Lakers and the Heat are on vacation.

Heck, even Giannis has had extra time off. Your star rookies in Ja and Zion. There's enough to make Xmas day profitable. 

But is it enough to compensate for no Lebron?

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

The league with the help of the top teams disadvantaged 8 franchises, now they want to continue to disadvantage them so their stars can rest.   While the league bleeds money and the lesser teams go 10 months without playing ball.   So a handful of guys can rest.  give me a break.

I can understand our logic but this basically eliminates the Heat and Lakers. Yeah, not sure that's a good idea 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Naw. For some teams, yeah but not for the leagues more popular team

I don't understand what you are trying to say. The star players can either play or don't the early part of the season - load manage them.

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The league with the help of the top teams disadvantaged 8 franchises, now they want to continue to disadvantage them so their stars can rest.   While the league bleeds money and the lesser teams go 10 months without playing ball.   So a handful of guys can rest.  give me a break.

source.gif

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The Lakers-Heat just wrapped a couple weeks ago. That's an extremely short turnaround 

Yes, and we are talking December 22. Its not even Halloween yet. Its not like they are saying go back tomorrow. They have time to take a full month of rest before getting back in the gym. 

Doesnt sound like a lot but you can make the most of it. Times are not normal. Every profession on Earth has had to get creative to survive. The NBA needs to get this through to them. This is a business and if you want money, we have to go and make it. And it wont happen sitting at home.

If you want the league to miss out in the revenue then it should come out of the players pockets. Thats all the motivation they should need.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

They wouldn't be ready to play this season with the style of Basketball they play. Are you not aware of the toll this takes on your body.

They may not be in pique physical condition but they can play. 

Again: off 4 months, played 2 months with NO Travel, off 2 months - play.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They may not be in pique physical condition but they can play. 

Again: off 4 months, played 2 months with NO Travel, off 2 months - play.

I don't know anyone not named LeBron James who would bitch about only having to work half the year. How do us full-timers live with ourselves!?!?

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I agree with the money part. The NBA needs to start on the 22th

This is why I think the 22nd will win out.  The NBA can simply insist on following the CBA and dropping the salary cap to 90M if it really wants to.  That will cost the players a ton of money.  To maintain a higher cap than they are contractually entitled to, they need the owners to sign off on some type of exception.  In order to get the owners to sign off on that concession, they will have to start earlier so the owners can make more money to fund those higher total salaries.  Thus we end up with an earlier start date and a cap figure well above 90M.

Both sides give to arrive at the solution that pays the most people the most money.

• Like 2

The difference in time between Dec 22 and Jan 18 is almost exactly 4 weeks.

The difference in revenue is what, 500 million apparently? 

Maybe there is a way to do a hybrid.

A soft opening featuring the best/most popular teams not in the finals or conference finals, for Xmas. It could be an exhibition except you require them to play their stars for ratings.

Get GS vs Brooklyn as your marquee Have the Knicks back in the Garden

Have Giannis vs Luka. Have Doc/Philly against the Clippers. 

Then continue with a preseason format for a couple of weeks before starting back full throttle by MLK day.

Anything to get games on TV. Maybe lesser teams play the bulk of the schedule out of the gate while you stagger the amount of play/travel of the other teams for the first month.

I dont know, but get creative!

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

My thoughts exactly. Just take the time off you that think you need. No one would blame you.

Meanwhile, does that ultimately undermine the logic of starting back sooner? Because whats the point of having Xmas games if your best teams and stars are on a load management / excused absence to start the year?

Except, playing Devils advocate here, you do essentially have 2 franchises in Golden State and Brooklyn that you could market behind with stars who are fresh while Brons Lakers and the Heat are on vacation.

Heck, even Giannis has had extra time off. Your star rookies in Ja and Zion. There's enough to make Xmas day profitable. 

But is it enough to compensate for no Lebron?

Sixers/Celtics, Warriors/Nets, Hawks/Mavericks, Raptors/Bucks, Grizzlies/Pelicans

• Like 2