• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is there any good reason why Cam should NOT start next season?

Bonkers

• Premium Member

Cop out answer - whoever gives us the best chance to win games and who closes games is more important. 

I would like a strong starting unit but an also equally adequate bench. Also depends on who the backup PG is, someone like Dunn might be best served with Huerter. If it's Teague, he might be best served with Cam in a Ginobli role where he gets control of the 2nd unit. 

• Thanks 1

And why do I have to keep reminding people that the reason for Cam starting off really slow (offensively and at Duke) is because he was injured and didn't even have a Summer. So why do y'all keep holding that against him

Even when his offense was struggling he was still bringing it defensively. U can't say the same for Kevin. If he isn't doin anything on offense he's a complete liability

FACTS

Edited by Bonkers

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

And why do I have to keep reminding people that the reason for Cam starting off really slow (offensively and at Duke) is because he was injured and didn't even have a Summer. So why do y'all keep holding that against him. 

You're really yelling at clouds. Lol....most of us understand the circumstances.

On the flip side...Huerter was also injured and missed training camp and preseason, then Jokic almost tore off his arm.....do you give him some leeway there too with his struggles? Just asking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You're really yelling at clouds. Lol....most of us understand the circumstances.

On the flip side...Huerter was also injured and missed training camp and preseason, then Jokic almost tore off his arm.....do you give him some leeway there too with his struggles? Just asking.

I see what you're saying but Kevin's defense was trash before he got injured soooo

[IMG]

I'm a chess aficionado so I'm all about strategy/tactics and it's just not smart from a tactical stand point to start Kevin with Trae. It's not like it's lead to a ton of wins sooooo why keep doing it lol

Edited by Bonkers

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

I was talking about last year haha

Yes he was a little better last year (overall he was better of course) but he still was a bad defender

You get no argument from me there if you are talking his rookie season. He was the #19 pick in the draft and exceeded expectations. The disappointment for me was it didn't carry over into year 2.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You get no argument from me there. 

I mean I don't want to make it seem like I dislike Kev. Becuz I think he would really flourish as a 6th man playing against our opponents B team

It's just that I see no advantage of us starting him. Like I want you to think about this...

There were MANY games where our guys got into foul trouble because Trae and Kevin couldn't stay in front of their man and another guy had to step up and ended up taking a foul. Now we can somewhat mitigate that by putting Kev on the bench and starting Cam (we obviously can't bench Trae lol).

Secondly he was horrible at getting to the free throw line. He does NOT put pressure on defenses. We need someone that can slash and get teams into foul trouble. Kev can't do that

I mean like I said I'm looking at tactics/strategy here. If I see it I'm praying LP can see it too

Edited by Bonkers

18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Couldn't resist.

Old Man Yells at Cloud | Memepedia Wiki | Fandom

36 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

You're trying too hard

You're crying too hard. Boom. Roasted.

I've said since last season that I see Cam as the starter, but I think both choices have merit. And with this mess of an offseason LP may feel more comfortable with Huerter starting out of the gates. More than bringing Cam's defense to the starting lineup I would like to see Huerter get more opportunities to lead the offense as the 6th man.

The more interesting part will be how LP closes out games. It was easy to default to the "Core 5" lineup last season because we rarely had a better option, but that shouldn't be the case this season.

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, High5 said:

You're crying too hard. Boom. Roasted.

I've said since last season that I see Cam as the starter, but I think both choices have merit. And with this mess of an offseason LP may feel more comfortable with Huerter starting out of the gates. More than bringing Cam's defense to the starting lineup I would like to see Huerter get more opportunities to lead the offense as the 6th man.

The more interesting part will be how LP closes out games. It was easy to default to the "Core 5" lineup last season because we rarely had a better option, but that shouldn't be the case this season.

Pierce's comment from May article as well as Huerter's take:

Head coach Lloyd Pierce recently said the Hawks are going to have to “figure out the Cam and Kevin thing,” which reading between the lines likely means who’s going to start and who’s going to come off the bench between Huerter and Reddish. 

Huerter understands there’s always going to be competition in the NBA with the next guy always trying to take your spot and isn’t concerned about a possible training camp battle for the starting shooting guard spot next season.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cwell said:

the only reason would be because Pierce is stupid. Cam is a starter in this league. Heurter isn't. I don't wanna hear all this baby sitter logic to sit a rising star behind an inferior player that wouldn't start on any quality teams. I swear on everything if Heurter shows up again with the same weak body......

lol

Edited by terrell

I also look at the strategy/tactics of spacing also.  Although Len/Dedmon bottomed out last season they at least had proven season(s) of consistent 3P and midrange shooting on kickouts.  Defenses had to honor them until they missed, with Capela no one is ever looking at him outside of the paint so the onus is more on wing shooting or Collins is going to have to take on more of a Bosh role to supplement drives.

From a strictly defensive standpoint I think starting Cam is the right move.  I also think the starting spot and those extra minutes to get in a groove could do a lot for Cam and getting his confidence up too.

To me it's a no brainer and having a shooter like Huerter off the bench is a nice weapon to call on if you need to.

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

So many threads just go on and on when they could just have a single 'No' reply.  

I think LP wanted Cam coming off the bench last year because he started way too poorly to even think about starting and then when he made his big improvements it was in the context of coming off the bench so he didn't want to change that dynamic when Cam was making big strides.  It is possible he would want Cam to start off next season in the same role by that line of thinking. 

To me, Cam is the long-term starter and has made sufficient improvements to warrant getting that role from day 1.  But I don't view it as a slam dunk that LP agrees.  Either way, I expect Trae to play a lot of minutes with both Cam and Huerter.  

• Like 3

On 10/19/2020 at 11:39 AM, Bonkers said:

People are forgetting about how terrible Huerter was at getting to the FT line

That is a big part of why he needs to come of the bench. He doesn't put pressure on defense by getting anybody into foul trouble

I'll never get over the fact that Hunter and Reddish attempted more FTs in one season than Heurter attempted in two seasons combined....while starting and playing lots of minutes. That's pitiful

• Haha 1