• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's your overall draft grade for the 2020 NBA Draft?

NBASupes

What's your overall draft grade for the 2020 NBA Draft?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What's your overall draft grade for the 2020 NBA Draft?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/30/2020 at 12:55 PM

Okongwu - B+ 

1. Obi Toppin
2. LaMelo Ball
3. Anthony Edwards
4. Tyrese Haliburton
5. Deni Avdija
6. Cole Anthony
7. Onyeka Okongwu
8. Cole Anthony
9. James Wiseman
10. Issac Okoro

Okongwu was my 7th best player in the class. The player I like to compare him to is Antonio McDyess and Derrick Favors. I see him as more of a blend of these two more than anything else. I did say his extreme end is Karl Malone with superior defensive potential but that's so freaking unrealistic as you need the right PG which Big O does have right now and the role which he doesn't. He's an elite movement big for his size who like JC likes to move within the perimeter. Doesn't haven't the speed or quickness of JC or Obi Toppin but for his size, is very fast. Reminds you of Al Horford in his prime just based on speed alone. Back to the basket. Doesn't have a smooth post game but he is very effective. High BBIQ for his age, he's been playing the style he needed to play since HS and it's a perfect fit in our PnR movement based system. Played PF at USC. His shooting potential is solid. He looks a lot more like Al in regards to shooting pop than someone like JC who has the natural stroke. Offensively, he's pretty limited to movement, finishing, rim running, and open shots at best. Generally, I can see him capping out at 18-20ppg in most NBA situations. Obviously, playing in our system with Trae adds a lot more opportunities but we will see. 

Defense is where he's best at. He do everything and he really reminds me of Derrick Favors the most on this end. Can play every style or type of defense. High BBIQ. Quick thinker. No wasted energy. Uses his size well. Just has excellent defensive potential. I don't think he will win any DPOY awards because his raw stats won't be that good but like Favors, he is critical to team defense and he's a tremendous pick for any team on defense along. 

Overall, like JC, he could really shoot up and get to a much higher level because of Trae Young. 

My overall value of him during the process with no team in mind: 

4t. Onyeka Okongwu - A high floor with a mid-high ceiling who would be at his best in a PF based role in year one and becoming a center down the line.
Similar Expected Career to Antonio McDyess, Derrick Favors, Bam Adebayo, Buck Williams, Karl Malone. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 7/8/8/2

Considering he's a Hawk now, I do think those prongs are possible to hit. If he is a 9, he will be a legit All Star level player. Overall, this gets a B+ because at the end of the day, Obi Toppin was on the board and we still have critical issues. I can't overlook that. 

Skylar Mays - A

I like this pick for multiple reasons. He's a PDS kid. High BBIQ and high personal IQ. Has lead guard potential even if he's a year away. Perfect system fit, can really shoot it. He's a quality 3rd string guard along with Goodwin and that's a great value considering we had players like Wallace last year. Overall, I think he could surprise people in a year. Everyone wants Derrick White, this kid could be that. Best pick of the night even if Okongwu is a much better player and will always be. 

My grade for Mays: 

5.5/6.5/6.5/3

5.5 is his current grade

6.5 is his potential

6.5 is his realized potential

He has 3 prongs which is a .5 each - Shooting, Ball handling, and efficiency. He has to get to a stud level in these areas and if he does with his current skill set. He could be a major steal. 

• Thanks 1

Toppin might be better offensive player but I think we needed for years a developing defensive big. Finally we got a real good one that might flourish with Trae. Having Collins and Capela allows us to bring him slowly, I think he is going to surprise a lot of people and might be top 3 player on this class in 2-3 years.

Mays I don’t know him, I would have selected Riller, Winston or Stanley but considering probably all of them will be gone, if we can get a player from him that would be a big plus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

A-A+

Finally the Hawks draft a big in the lottery! Okongwu was the 2nd best big in the draft and has already established defensive skills at such a young age.  If he develops any offensive skills which he has great potential to do, he will be an all star.  I've stated before that I'm not as sold on Capela as many are on this MB.  Okongwu has far more upside than Capela.  I can see a Collin/Okungwu front court thriving in the future.  I also made it clear that I was not impressed with any wings in this draft because none of them could shoot except Haliburton and his shooting may not translate.  Haliburton will be a role player and probably never start on a championship team because of physical limitation whereas Okongwu has the tools to not only start but to be a star in the NBA 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Okongwu - B+ 

1. Obi Toppin
2. LaMelo Ball
3. Anthony Edwards
4. Tyrese Haliburton
5. Deni Avdija
6. Killian Hayes
7. Onyeka Okongwu
8. Cole Anthony
9. James Wiseman
10. Issac Okoro

Hayes is #6, just barely above OO.

Based on where they are after the draft:

1. LaMelo Ball
2. Obi Toppin
3. Anthony Edwards
4. Onyeka Okongwu
5. James Wiseman
6. Killian Hayes
7. Cole Anthony
8. Deni Avdija
9. Issac Okoro
10. Tyrese Haliburton

Ball moved up to #1. His best case was a shit team like Charlotte with a heavy PnR system.

Obi ended up in a situation where they lack a #1 option and he will get that opportunity which is tremendous for him even if the team isn't ideal.

The bigs ended up in optimal situations 

Edwards is probably in his best case as well. 

As well as Hayes and Anthony.

Deni went to a very tough spot. He's just a jag and with a shorten season, he will be just a rotation player for a couple of years if not more.

I wanted Tyrese to play with someone more half court based like D'Angelo Russell. De'Aaron is so pace based, I am not sure it's the best fit. If him and Lonzo Ball could switch situations, it would be optimal for both. He got hurt to me going to Sacramento.

Okoro isn't in a bad situation. He can come off the bench for Osman and there is no one blocking him when he's ready but it's not going to be easy. 

• Premium Member

I gave it an A. Could be talked into a B+ just because Big O has a raw offensive game outside of the Tyson Chandler skill set. But that's being a little negative. We got the best defensive center in the draft and could make Capella a trade piece later on as well.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A....This is all about maximizing Trae.

This gives Trae a rim running, pogo stick big with soft hands and good touch around the basket. The days of fumbled passes and missed bunnies should be over. The fact that he can effectively switch on defense and defend the rim makes this a no brainer. The only potential knocks are his jumper and maybe size?  A-

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member

A look back at the 2020 Draft class. 

Edwards, Ball and Haliburton signed to rookie designated max deals ($260). Bane signed a regular max deal ($202). Isaiah Stewart signed a 4yr/$64....the rest, we wait.

2020 NBA Draft

FIRST ROUND

1. Timberwolves draft Anthony Edwards

2. Warriors draft James Wiseman

3. Hornets draft LaMelo Ball

4. Bulls draft Patrick Williams

5. Cavaliers draft Isaac Okoro

6. Hawks draft Onyeka Okongwu

7. Pistons draft Killian Hayes

8. Knicks draft Obi Toppin

9. Wizards draft Deni Avdija

10. Suns draft Jalen Smith

11. Spurs draft Devin Vassell

12. Kings draft Tyrese Haliburton

13. Pelicans draft Kira Lewis Jr.

14. Celtics draft Aaron Nesmith

15. Magic draft Cole Anthony

16. Trail Blazers draft Isaiah Stewart >> officially traded to the Pistons, after first being dealt to the Rockets

17. Timberwolves draft Aleksej Pokusevski  >> officially traded to the Thunder

18. Mavericks draft Josh Green

19. Nets draft Saddiq Bey >> officially traded to the Pistons, after first being dealt to the Clippers

20. Heat draft Precious Achiuwa

21. 76ers draft Tyrese Maxey

22. Nuggets draft Zeke Nnaji 

23. Knicks draft Leandro Bolmaro >> officially traded to the Timberwolves

24. Bucks draft RJ Hampton >> officially traded to the Nuggets, after first being dealt to the Pelicans

25. Thunder draft Immanuel Quickley >> officially traded to the Knicks, after first being dealt to the Timberwolves

26. Celtics draft Payton Pritchard

27. Jazz draft Udoka Azubuike

28. Lakers draft Jaden McDaniels >> officially traded to the Timberwolves, after first being dealt to the Thunder

29. Raptors draft Malachi Flynn

30. Celtics draft Desmond Bane >> officially traded to the Grizzlies

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A look back at the 2020 Draft class. 

Edwards, Ball and Haliburton signed to rookie designated max deals ($260). Bane signed a regular max deal ($202). Isaiah Stewart signed a 4yr/$64....the rest, we wait.

2020 NBA Draft

FIRST ROUND

1. Timberwolves draft Anthony Edwards

2. Warriors draft James Wiseman

3. Hornets draft LaMelo Ball

4. Bulls draft Patrick Williams

5. Cavaliers draft Isaac Okoro

6. Hawks draft Onyeka Okongwu

7. Pistons draft Killian Hayes

8. Knicks draft Obi Toppin

9. Wizards draft Deni Avdija

10. Suns draft Jalen Smith

11. Spurs draft Devin Vassell

12. Kings draft Tyrese Haliburton

13. Pelicans draft Kira Lewis Jr.

14. Celtics draft Aaron Nesmith

15. Magic draft Cole Anthony

16. Trail Blazers draft Isaiah Stewart >> officially traded to the Pistons, after first being dealt to the Rockets

17. Timberwolves draft Aleksej Pokusevski  >> officially traded to the Thunder

18. Mavericks draft Josh Green

19. Nets draft Saddiq Bey >> officially traded to the Pistons, after first being dealt to the Clippers

20. Heat draft Precious Achiuwa

21. 76ers draft Tyrese Maxey

22. Nuggets draft Zeke Nnaji 

23. Knicks draft Leandro Bolmaro >> officially traded to the Timberwolves

24. Bucks draft RJ Hampton >> officially traded to the Nuggets, after first being dealt to the Pelicans

25. Thunder draft Immanuel Quickley >> officially traded to the Knicks, after first being dealt to the Timberwolves

26. Celtics draft Payton Pritchard

27. Jazz draft Udoka Azubuike

28. Lakers draft Jaden McDaniels >> officially traded to the Timberwolves, after first being dealt to the Thunder

29. Raptors draft Malachi Flynn

30. Celtics draft Desmond Bane >> officially traded to the Grizzlies

We got the 2nd best player after Edwards in OO!

On 11/19/2020 at 1:23 AM, NBASupes said:

Okongwu - B+ 

1. Obi Toppin
2. LaMelo Ball
3. Anthony Edwards
4. Tyrese Haliburton
5. Deni Avdija
6. Cole Anthony
7. Onyeka Okongwu
8. Cole Anthony
9. James Wiseman
10. Issac Okoro

Okongwu was my 7th best player in the class. The player I like to compare him to is Antonio McDyess and Derrick Favors. I see him as more of a blend of these two more than anything else. I did say his extreme end is Karl Malone with superior defensive potential but that's so freaking unrealistic as you need the right PG which Big O does have right now and the role which he doesn't. He's an elite movement big for his size who like JC likes to move within the perimeter. Doesn't haven't the speed or quickness of JC or Obi Toppin but for his size, is very fast. Reminds you of Al Horford in his prime just based on speed alone. Back to the basket. Doesn't have a smooth post game but he is very effective. High BBIQ for his age, he's been playing the style he needed to play since HS and it's a perfect fit in our PnR movement based system. Played PF at USC. His shooting potential is solid. He looks a lot more like Al in regards to shooting pop than someone like JC who has the natural stroke. Offensively, he's pretty limited to movement, finishing, rim running, and open shots at best. Generally, I can see him capping out at 18-20ppg in most NBA situations. Obviously, playing in our system with Trae adds a lot more opportunities but we will see. 

Defense is where he's best at. He do everything and he really reminds me of Derrick Favors the most on this end. Can play every style or type of defense. High BBIQ. Quick thinker. No wasted energy. Uses his size well. Just has excellent defensive potential. I don't think he will win any DPOY awards because his raw stats won't be that good but like Favors, he is critical to team defense and he's a tremendous pick for any team on defense along. 

Overall, like JC, he could really shoot up and get to a much higher level because of Trae Young. 

My overall value of him during the process with no team in mind: 

4t. Onyeka Okongwu - A high floor with a mid-high ceiling who would be at his best in a PF based role in year one and becoming a center down the line.
Similar Expected Career to Antonio McDyess, Derrick Favors, Bam Adebayo, Buck Williams, Karl Malone. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 7/8/8/2

Considering he's a Hawk now, I do think those prongs are possible to hit. If he is a 9, he will be a legit All Star level player. Overall, this gets a B+ because at the end of the day, Obi Toppin was on the board and we still have critical issues. I can't overlook that. 

Skylar Mays - A

I like this pick for multiple reasons. He's a PDS kid. High BBIQ and high personal IQ. Has lead guard potential even if he's a year away. Perfect system fit, can really shoot it. He's a quality 3rd string guard along with Goodwin and that's a great value considering we had players like Wallace last year. Overall, I think he could surprise people in a year. Everyone wants Derrick White, this kid could be that. Best pick of the night even if Okongwu is a much better player and will always be. 

My grade for Mays: 

5.5/6.5/6.5/3

5.5 is his current grade

6.5 is his potential

6.5 is his realized potential

He has 3 prongs which is a .5 each - Shooting, Ball handling, and efficiency. He has to get to a stud level in these areas and if he does with his current skill set. He could be a major steal. 

I have to agree with the scout who said OO is basically a PF version of Pat Bev. Maybe he could develop into more with Quin but with Nate, his development was limited at best. 

Mays never seemed to get better although he made minor improvements overall. Sadly, like so many 2nd rounders, he just didn't go anywhere overall at this level. 

One thing I can say about Nate is none of these prospects really got better under him. None of them. That's probably my biggest knock on Nate. 

• 2 months later...