• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency 2020!!

capstone21

49 minutes ago, JTB said:

I wonder if the hold up is because the nba’s investigation with the bucks sign and trade for Bogi ???

is the nba front office holding things up on their end???

I imagine not signing him is effectively the "punishment" there.  League probably wants him to go elsewhere so they can say, "Eh, no harm no foul.  The report of the premature SnT was just a rumor.  Move on."

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, High5 said:

I believe this is the first time Kirschner has gotten to report about the Hawks making winning moves. Maybe he's just overexcited. 

Gonna be some serious wiping of egg off face cause I have a feeling this won't end well for Atlanta.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

If Sacramento wasn't going to match. He would be in Atlanta right now. 

Not necessarily true.  I’d phrase it “if Atlanta didn’t believe Sacramento was a real threat to match he would be in Atlanta right now.”  An offer sheet is a game of brinksmanship because once you offer it and it is matched things are done.  So if you want a RFA and believe there is a legit threat to match then you exhaust the possibility of SNT before the FA signs the sheet and comes off the market.  This assumes the player is willing to sign (if he wants to explore then obviously you are just talking hypotheticals with him).

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Translation..We don't have 1 on our team now?

Last year on a full season basis none of our wings were starter quality.  Hunter and Cam were that level in 2020.  I think Huerter has a good chance to hit that level, Hunter has that as his eventual floor, and Cam will easily surpass that level and may hit All-Star level.  BB be someone who enhances our ability to compete today while our youngsters are growing into their potential.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, thecampster said:

4 stat comparisons.

PPG     RPG     APG    SPG    

15.1      3.4      3.4      1

18.7      5.2      1.9       .7

12.3       4.5      1.8      .7

21.6      10.1      1.5     .8

The players, in order are:

Bogdan Bogdanovic

Danilo Gallinari

Deandre Hunter

John Collins

For the questions on what is holding up BB...that's it right there. His production was roughly a little better than Hunter's last year but not quite as good as Gallinari. He is no where near Collins' production. though younger than Danilo, he is older than both Collins and Hunter. So how do you slot his salary? Danilo got 20/yr.  This slots Bogdanovic at about $16 million per based on production.

It isn't as simple as I'm making it but there it is in a nutshell.

For those wondering what Collins will get in the future, look at the difference between his production and Gallinari. He shoots more efficiently, scores 3 more points and grabs 5 more rebounds per game. Danilo got $20 million, Collins is 8 years younger.

When this foolishness was starting over a week ago, I mentioned we were coming out of this offseason with less rookie contracts and more vets. Gone are:  Dedmon, Teague, Bembry, Skal, Jones, Carter, Brown Jr, Graham, (and the scantily remembers and short lived contributions of Paul Watson and Tyrone Wallace). Also gone during the season are: Parker, Len, Parsons, Crabbe and Turner. The below mentioned players accounted for 6,325 minutes played for the Hawks last year. Of that entire group, only Len, Dedmon, Parker, Carter and Teague provided any minutes worth their salary. That floor time amounted to 94 minutes per game, almost 2 full 48 minute players per game. This is a team where Damion Jones saw the floor for 886 minutes. of inaction.

Our memories are short and we tend to forget what a fuster cluck 2019-20 was. 38% of our minutes played last year went to people no longer on the team. You can easily sit back and wonder how we won 20 games in a shortened season.

Incoming to replace that mess so far:

Capela, Rondo, Gallinari, Dunn, Snell, Okongwu, Mays and at least 2 players to be named later.  Remember our current overseas stashed as potential roster invites as well. Also take into account the maturation going forward of Reddish, Hunter, Young, Huerter and Collins

Well Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.....i just did a simple then vs now...but you brought the nimbers. I dig!! 

This lays it out quite clearly.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Last year on a full season basis none of our wings were starter quality.  Hunter and Cam were that level in 2020.  I think Huerter has a good chance to hit that level, Hunter has that as his eventual floor, and Cam will easily surpass that level and may hit All-Star level.  BB be someone who enhances our ability to compete today while our youngsters are growing into their potential.

I just don't see How BB is so much better than Huerter.  He is at his peak at 28.  Still not a full time starter with Sac.  Per of 15  Is that worth $72 mil dollars?

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I just don't see How BB is so much better than Huerter.  He is at his peak at 28.  Still not a full time starter with Sac.  Per of 15  Is that worth $72 mil dollars?

There is a real argument he isn’t worth it.  I think the dilemma for the Hawks is that this is their window to spend before they tie up cap resigning their own picks.  They see value in getting guys who are ready now not because they don’t think JC or Capela are starter quality today but because good teams have quality depth and they want to be a good team now.  At the wing, none of our young guys is as steady a contributor as BB is today.  So do you bolster that talent and depth by bringing him in?  Given the overall trend and scarcity of wings, my guess is they feel they won’t have a problem trading someone if they feel they get overloaded.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I think it's more about his experience and consistency. It's about adding additional quality depth.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think it's more about his experience and consistency. It's about adding additional quality depth.

We have quality depth at the wing don't you think?  Cam/Huerter/Dunn aren't quality shooting Guards? Hunter/Snell/Gallo aren't quality sm. forwards?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

We have quality depth at the wing don't you think?  Cam/Huerter/Dunn aren't quality shooting Guards? Hunter/Snell/Gallo aren't quality sm. forwards?

Dunn is a PG who can fill in a few minutes at SG.  Cam and Huerter were not consistent starter level players last year.  

Snell is clearly not a starter.  Hunter wasn’t starter quality last year.  Gallo is going to split time between the forward spots because he will be matchup dependent where you can play him on defense.  

Those guys could work out just fine like you suggest but there is enough variability that there is value in consistent quality depth if you are trying to win now.  (Which seems to be the case).

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Experience and consistency, you forgot that part.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Dunn is a PG who can fill in a few minutes at SG.  Cam and Huerter were not consistent starter level players last year.  

Snell is clearly not a starter.  Hunter wasn’t starter quality last year.  Gallo is going to split time between the forward spots because he will be matchup dependent where you can play him on defense.  

Those guys could work out just fine like you suggest but there is enough variability that there is value in consistent quality depth if you are trying to win now.  (Which seems to be the case).

So you don't anticipate any improvement in the play of our young wing therefore the response is to sign a guy that's not much better right now for 10 times the amount you are paying all 3 combined?

• Like 1