• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How many of our losses would you put on Lloyd Pierce?

Wurider05

12 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Five.

His reluctance to play Collins and Capela together in some of those games down the stretch, were bad rotation moves.  And the fact that this team is 0 - 7 in games decided by 6 pts or less, is an indictment on players and the coach.  His press conference last night didn't help him at all, as to why Trae and John went scoreless, with John specifically only getting 1 shot in the 4th quarter.  He pretty much admitted that he's not specifically trying to get the ball to his best offensive players, and is encouraging the team to get the ball to the open man.

The lack of adjustments, when other teams routinely make adjustments to us, are indictments on him as well.

Now, he's gone for 2 games to attend the birth of his child.  I wish he and his wife well in the next week or so.  And it's probably good for him to get away from the team for a while.

But this sets the stage for a WILDFIRE to be started, if McMillan does something noticeably different with the team and rotation, that leads to 2 wins vs Boston, and possibly the Nuggets on Sunday.  God help him if the Hawks look great while he's gone, then go back to looking like ass when he comes back.

He would get a pass if the Hawks just looked terrible all game without key rotation players being out.  But the fact that we're still highly competitive, but are collapsing in the 4th quarter, and he talks like the answers simply lie in people making shots . . that's not good for him.

I'm rooting for the guy. He's good for that city.  But at the end of the day, he has to prove he can be a difference maker as a coach.

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that Nate McMillan has been sitting next to Lloyd on the bench with ideas that he isn't sharing with Lloyd.  

The fact is, losing DeAndre Hunter was a bigger blow to the team than many thought it would be.  Like Nate said, he was playing the best basketball on the team up until the time of his injury.  He really helped the weak defense we have been getting at the guard positions, and he fits in very well with John Collins and Clint Capela down low.  The team has gone 1-7 since his injury after being 10-9 before his injury (one of those games Hunter didn't play).  

• Like 2

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that Nate McMillan has been sitting next to Lloyd on the bench with ideas that he isn't sharing with Lloyd.  

The fact is, losing DeAndre Hunter was a bigger blow to the team than many thought it would be.  Like Nate said, he was playing the best basketball on the team up until the time of his injury.  He really helped the weak defense we have been getting at the guard positions, and he fits in very well with John Collins and Clint Capela down low.  The team has gone 1-7 since his injury after being 10-9 before his injury (one of those games Hunter didn't play).  

Exactly.   For me it's not just Hunter but it's 70% him.  It's the combo of losing Hunter, Bogi, Snell for the most part.   Heurter has been good but he's not consistent and Cam is pretty bad.   You aren't going to win much in this league with just so-so play at both wing positions. 

22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

9-9 since he only played 12 minutes and scored 6 points in the win against the Wizards. This is a overlooked fact. If you discard the first 5 games when Atlanta could not miss a shot and went 4 - 1, they were 6 - 9 over their last 15 games with a healthy Hunter balling like his life depended on it.

The 4 game losing streak to the Cavaliers, Knicks, Hornets, and Hornets was the low spot of the season for me. Far worse than losing 4 in a row without Hunter and Bogi.

During that losing streak, Hunter averaged 19.25 points and 6.75 boards. Yet the Hawks managed to lose all four games.

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Exactly.   For me it's not just Hunter but it's 70% him.  It's the combo of losing Hunter, Bogi, Snell for the most part.   Heurter has been good but he's not consistent and Cam is pretty bad.   You aren't going to win much in this league with just so-so play at both wing positions. 

Yep, and I'll add this.  While Cam needs to marinate some more and start focusing on things he can do now, he's the key to this team making a big jump in 1-2 more years.  What we have seen from DeAndre Hunter this year is the difference in this team being a .300 win percentage team and a .500 win percentage team.  If Cam ever makes that jump, which I think he can do, this team goes from a .500 team healthy to a .650-.700 win percentage team.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

As of today we are 11-16. Of those 16 losses how many do you put squarely on him?

I've been trying to stay out of the LP good vs bad debate but 1/2 of these losses can be attributed to coaching style/rotations. I like LP. There is a lot of good there.  We can attribute a few of the wins to him as well.  But fair is fair.

• Like 1

The injuries are a significant factor and I agree that it's hard to judge this team when we haven't been at full strength for even a single game yet.

That being said, we have still had our best players available for the most part all year. 

Trae, John, Clint were always our top 3 heading in to the season. Dre emerged as potentially a #2 guy for us, so I don't want to discredit his absence. But the trio of Trae, JC and Clint are consistently high performers in their own right, and we expected them to be as much. Bogi, Gallo, and now Hunter are also guys who when healthy, have the talent to be high performers, but except for maybe Hunter, they would still fall just behind the other 3 on the pecking order.

I think that with great coaching, we would still have enough to be around the .500 mark even in spite of the injuries. I mean, the fact we are only losing games down the stretch and not necessarily getting blown out lets you know that its not a talent (or lack thereof) issue. We are not outmatched, and rarely outgunned except for vs BKLYN maybe.

The coaching and execution has failed us when it comes to winning time.