• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's never too early ... next season's Hawks team ...

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Soooo...is there a possibility we look to move Gallo? Just asking.

I have the bolded as the most likely roster spots opening night, so that's 9 players plus the #20 pick

PG: Trae

SG: Bogi, Huerter

SF: Hunter, Cam

PF: Collins, Gallo

C - Capela, Okongwu

So we need a backup PG, SF/PF  and a PF/C

Dunn and Bruno can be moved in trade, Solo is a vet min if he returns, Snell is a SnToption to a team over the cap, that 50% shooting from 3 is eye candy. 

Lol that long 3 Gallo took early in the shot clock last game made me sour on him too. Hopefully he can bounce back next round. But yeah I think we should look to get a defensive improvement at the backup PF position this summer. I really like Kai Jones out of Texas to fill that spot if we were to draft him at 20.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Lol that long 3 Gallo took early in the shot clock last game made me sour on him too. Hopefully he can bounce back next round. But yeah I think we should look to get a defensive improvement at the backup PF position this summer. I really like Kai Jones out of Texas to fill that spot if we were to draft him at 20.

Gallo is a seasoned vet - he should not be this bad on the road.  

• Premium Member

To no one in particular... I'm not sure there's ever a time when an intelligent GM isn't entirely open to a trade proposal that allows him to get similar talent at an age under the magic 30 threshold and at a price significantly under the magic $20m threshold.

I'm just not sure, though, that that's an especially practical evolution to anticipate.

And all the more so if you add the precondition that the player brings somewhat similar experience, and somewhat similar lockerroom personality, and somewhat similar on-court chemistry.

Bottom line, I'm persuaded that 9 of the 10 roster slots are filled for our first widely-understood serious assault on an NBA championship since a time when Doc, Wittman, Nique, Willis and Tree were our guys... who gets that back-up PG slot next season, then, almost certainly will represent the most prominent booster shot to that effort, along side the anticipated maturity of our young-uns that comes with having won their first NBA playoff series and their own personal expectations of their own individual and team development.

That booster shot, imo, needs to be someone with a pedigree similar to KCP... if not targeting KCP himself... which is theoretically do-able (LAL reportedly has wanted to shed payroll since the trade deadline, and if taking back Dunn and Bruno would be accepted, we then have the cap space to accommodate).... but as with any imagined trade outside the GM-isphere, we can't know how the front offices of both sides in reality would assess such a deal.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

At #20, there's likely to be a tier of players that are at approximately equal talent level, and not just one BPA that stands out... but then again, if you are fortunate enough to find someone in free fall, dropping down the draft inexplicably like a John Collins once did... absolutely, grab that guy.

If it happens to be a PG, great, but regardless, presume that no matter whether that player is or isn't a PG, he's ticketed for the 3rd string in your depth chart, and probably some significant time in College Park playing beside your 2nd rounder, plus your two-ways and maybe Bruno.

My preference... being ever conscious of the economics component and conserving your contractual control over talent... is to draft a Eurostash, since the first year for the 20th drafted player is so likely otherwise on this championship-contending roster to just be wasted otherwise. Rather, let the player spend at least one more year in Europe, effectively then punting the asset so that his contract clock begins at a point where he's ostensibly more developed and, concurrently, when you might have a better opportunity for him to compete for actual minutes at some point during a season.

And. Given that Gallo's place on the roster will be a question mark automatically next off-season (given his relatively low guarantee), if you can draft a Eurostash that mirrors a lot of what Gallo brings to the table, then all the better.

Does this draft have such a guy? Well, yes, it does.

If Alperen Şengün (Turkey) comes tumbling down the draft board, then you grab him.

More likely, though, the prime options are going to be Filip Petrušev (from BogBog's hometown of Belgrade, and who played at Gonzaga before going back this past season) and Roko Prkačin (Croatia, where "the other" Bogdanovic is from).

I should've added...

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Soooo...is there a possibility we look to move Gallo? Just asking.

I have the bolded as the most likely roster spots opening night, so that's 9 players plus the #20 pick

PG: Trae

SG: Bogi, Huerter

SF: Hunter, Cam

PF: Collins, Gallo

C - Capela, Okongwu

So we need a backup PG, SF/PF  and a PF/C

Dunn and Bruno can be moved in trade, Solo is a vet min if he returns, Snell is a SnToption to a team over the cap, that 50% shooting from 3 is eye candy. 

PG: Trae, TJ Mc, Goody

SG: Bogi, Huerter, Mays

SF: Hunter, Cam, Solo

PF: Collins, Gallo, Knight

C - Capela, Okongwu, Taj

just need to add #20 at best available 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 6/4/2021 at 5:00 PM, sturt said:

Just for shucks and giggles, here's my ideal... subject to change, of course, in the next month, or maybe week... we'll see...

2021-06-04_16-57-44.png

Just for more shucks and giggles... and because it's a lazy Friday afternoon at the office... I decided to try plugging in some 2022-23 names and numbers.

Some notes:

- The most glaring change is that I presume Gallo gets his $5m guarantee one year from this month, and we express our thanks for the memories.

- I'm imagining that Muscala picks up many of those minutes, but that Knight begins to mature and make himself a candidate for the 2023-24 rotation.

- The one year experiment to see what Eriksson might contribute gives way to the up-and-coming Mays.

- My pet cat from the 2021 draft, Petrusev comes over from Belgrade and nabs a 15-man slot.

- For the first time ever (right?), but as anticipated, we cross the tax threshold... to the tune of about $20m (.... depending mainly on what Huerter's contract ends up paying).

2021-06-11_15-28-49.png

• Premium Member
On 6/4/2021 at 6:48 PM, REHawksFan said:

To someone in particular....

No thanks on KCP. Never found him reliable as a shooter. And don't see him as a backup to Trae. Would much rather take a run at TJ or Rose. 

KCP sucks big time. Another dude like Herro who became insanely overrated because he had a nice bubble run. 

• Like 1

What will most interest me in 2021-2022 is if Bogi continues to play the way he's been playing since he knocked off the rust. If he does, his signing was a bargain and may have been just about as good as picking up Joe Johnson was in the old days.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, sturt said:

Just for more shucks and giggles... and because it's a lazy Friday afternoon at the office... I decided to try plugging in some 2022-23 names and numbers.

Some notes:

- The most glaring change is that I presume Gallo gets his $5m guarantee one year from this month, and we express our thanks for the memories.

- I'm imagining that Muscala picks up many of those minutes, but that Knight begins to mature and make himself a candidate for the 2023-24 rotation.

- The one year experiment to see what Eriksson might contribute gives way to the up-and-coming Mays.

- My pet cat from the 2021 draft, Petrusev comes over from Belgrade and nabs a 15-man slot.

- For the first time ever (right?), but as anticipated, we cross the tax threshold... to the tune of about $20m (.... depending mainly on what Huerter's contract ends up paying).

2021-06-11_15-28-49.png

Big takeaway for me, at the end of the day (literally, actually) was the salary position that we're going to find ourselves in almost immediately in terms of the middle and back of the depth chart... setting aside the specific names (... I know for instance that almost no matter who you plug-in to that back-up PG slot, there's going to be disagreement, and that's fine)... ie, notice please that the back as-is is filled with minimum-to-little salaried, primarily young, talent.

Did we already know this? Of course we did. Does it help make the picture plainer by seeing a mock-up of what we could be looking at this time next year in terms of a projection? I can only speak for myself, but definitely.

So anywho, what does that tell us?

Maybe only for me, the first lesson is that we really do want/need to be accumulating some international assets that we can stash and bring over to compete for third string openings as our third stringers either prove themselves worthy of elevation to second, or better to just move on.

And that's because free agency to gain an impact asset is going to become a very rare option once every one of those acquisitions cost the owner a VAT in addition to the purchase price.

College Park two-ways and international stowaways are naturally going to be the highly-preferred go-to when looking to fill roster holes from year to year.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, sturt said:

Indeed.

Seeing Okungwu go from having DNPs when fully healthy under Pierce to giving good playoff minutes under Nate has increased my faith in Cam. OO was HUGE off the bench in containing Dwight, clogging the lane, getting in position and just having energy. 

Lou Will taking him under his wing reminds me of how Vince had Cam under his :sad:. I'm exited to see how Nate utilizes him next season.

• Like 4