• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 into 2022 OFFSEASON News and Notes

RandomFan

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LongTimeFan said:

Well ... I figured it was time to start a new "season" after this fabulous draft!

(Actually, I stopped getting haircuts and shaving when the pandemic started, but taking my first flight out of town today and didn't want to get questioned by security at the airport!).  🤣

2021-06-23 12.32.00.jpg

2021-06-24 10.18.14.jpg

That is quite the trim.  Like both looks.  How does it feel to have that much taken off?

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Right now, we got Dunn and Bruno on the trading block.

As it stands

Trae/(Lou Will)/Dunn*/Coop
Bogi/Kevin
Hunter/Killa/Solo
(JC)/Gallo/JJ
Capela/Okongwu/Bruno*

We got 15 players and we still need a vet center. Bruno will be traded or cut. Dunn will be traded.

Mays and Knight might have to resign as two way contracts again. Mays should with no questions but Knight could bounce or maybe he's cool with the 2-way. I had Goodwin gone already. That said, Goodwin got suitors, a lot of guys like him. Indiana and LP will probably sign him

This is what I got:

Hawks still need a vet backup PG and Center.

TS has said expect the young guys to see ample time in the GLeague since we have transitioned from a developmental team to a team expecting to win.

Wether Cooper is signed to an NBA contract or a two-way contract depends on what we do in FAcy at backup PG. No sense in starting his NBA clock early if he's going to spend most of his time in the GL. 

With the OO injury and since Bruno has been a non-factor, Hawks need a cheap backup C (Dieng, RLopez, Noel, McGee, etc) as a stop gap.

The way I see it: 

PG: Trae | FA Vet | Mays/Goodwin

G: Bogi | Huerter | FA

SF: Hunter | Reddish | Hill 

PF: Collins | Gallo | Johnson

C Capela | Okongwu | FA Vet 

I think the Hawks try to move Dunn and Bruno to clear capspace to fill the backup PG or C spots.

Cooper and Knight - 2 way contracts

If Cooper is good enough, he'll earn the #3 PF spot.

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is what I got:

TS has said expect the young guys to see ample time in the GLeague since we have transitioned from a developmental team to a team expecting to win.

Wether Cooper is signed to an NBA contract or a two-way contract depends on what we do in FAcy at backup PG. No sense in starting his NBA clock early if he's going to spend most of his time in the GL. 

With the OO injury and since Bruno has been a non-factor, Hawks need a cheap backup C (Dieng, RLopez, Noel, McGee, etc) as a stop gap.

The way I see it: 

I think the Hawks try to move Dunn and Bruno to clear capspace to fill the backup PG or C spots.

It's hard to see Cooper not signed for at least 3 years considering how highly we value him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is what I got:

The way I see it: 

I was hoping Johnson  could take on the 3rd string SF and PF minutes while Hill just …well let’s just say does his best Haslem impression on the bench.

Edited by JTB
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's hard to see Cooper not signed for at least 3 years considering how highly we value him. 

I get that and it's understandable. However:

1. Depends on what our FA decision at PG ends up being will impact that

2. We have limited FAcy funds

3. If he'll be spending most of his time in the GL it might behoove the Hawks to delay the start of his NBA contract. Since the 2way players will have unlimted games with the big club again this season he'll have a chance to play.

4. His SL play will determine some of that direction.

And I do get there is some security for him in signing him to an NBA contract.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is quite the trim.  Like both looks.  How does it feel to have that much taken off?

I was ready for it to be done with the warm weather here now. 

Didn't have it this long since college - 50 years ago!

It was fun, but now I get to kiss my wife again!

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Is it possible to sign Cooper to a two-way contract and still retain control and bird rights over him for the long-term?  @JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Is it possible to sign Cooper to a two-way contract and still retain control and bird rights over him for the long-term?  @JayBirdHawk

His Two way contract will be tied to the Hawks, so another team can't sign him.  Hawks can convert his 2way to an NBA contract at any time but I'm not sure how that works in establishing his NBA clock if it's converted mid season or towards the end of the season, etc.

I think Lu Dort in OKC might be an example. I'll look it up.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

His Two way contract will be tied to the Hawks, so another team can't sign him.  Hawks can convert his 2way to an NBA contract at any time but I'm not sure how that works in establishing his NBA clock if it's converted mid season or towards the end of the season, etc.

I think Lu Dort in OKC might be an example. I'll look it up.

Can it be converted to an NBA contract that preserves bird rights?

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm not sure I follow. 

If converted it will most likely come with years added. If he chooses not to sign it, Hawks can make him a RFA by tendering a QO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Bird Rights are king. If you highly value that 2nd round selection, you want him for as long as possible for as cheap with full bird rights. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not sure I follow. 

If converted it will most likely come with years added. If he chooses not to sign it, Hawks can make him a RFA by tendering a QO.

Using Lu Dort....he started on a two way contract when days with the NBA club were limited. 

He was then signed to a 4year contract at the end of that season.

• Like 2

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not sure I follow. 

Bird Rights are king in the NBA. What AHF is saying, will we keep him BR. It's difficult. Generally, late 2nd rounders generally aren't highly coveted and aren't making the roster like Skylar Mays for example. So they are usually two way guys or two year, rookie mins. But if Atlanta covets Coop, they will aim for a three year, full BR deal for slightly over the rookie min. Since he's a late 2nd, probably year 2 and 3 and is non-guarantee. 

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Using Lu Dort....he started on a two way contract when days with the NBA club were limited. 

He was then signed to a 4year contract at the end of that season.

You can't assume he will sign a 4 year deal because Dort did. Dort was undrafted and they converted him during his rookie year. 

• Premium Member

The pay scale for a 2way vs NBA contract is WOW.

When he’s up with the Thunder, Dort receives the equivalent of a rookie minimum salary prorated for every day he’s with the team. When he’s not with the Thunder, Dort receives a two-way salary.

The two-way salary this season is just under $80,000. By comparison, the NBA’s minimum salary for rookies is $898,310. That’s a difference of about $219 per day on a two-way deal versus $2,461 per day on an NBA deal.

I wonder how that worked last season with the unlimited NBA games for 2ways.