• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The way forward.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I see the agenda folks out and about.   Well, this is not an agenda post... this is just based on how I feel things can work out.

1.  We can't trade Clint.   Even though he's the rebound leader and even though he's on a cheap deal, it would be dumb to trade him.   Clint had to play against Embiid, Giannis, and Brooks...  He gives up about 4 inches and 40 lbs to two of them.   And Giannis is just a freak.   

2,  JC has played himself out of a max or anything close.   But we should hold on to him.   JC didn't play himself out of a max this post season.. he did it in the reg season.   His rebounds are down about 4.0 reb per game.  His scoring is down about 3 ppg.  He should pray that the Hawks would still be willing to give him anything close to what he had.  The League is not jumping up and down for 17/7 PFs.   But he still fits us. The transition.  The rebounding it is for us. 

3. We need a Big Big with some skill.   I would take a look at Hassan Whitesides. 

4.   We need a PG to backup Trae.  I would take flyer on Austin Rivers.   

I guess Williams Retires.   I guess Dunn Opts out.  I guess Snell is done.   And that's OK...  

Our picks in the draft should be targetted.  I don't doubt that Schlenk has a plan. 

Let's not get caught up in the emotion and the agenda... and look at what we have.  We need work in the Backcourt and the frontcourt.   The good news is that our wings are set. 

As Reddish and Hunter make their returns... we need to watch them very carefully because decisions will have to be made after a while. 

• Like 3

I’d look at moving Capela only if that means they are filling the void immediately.  Insert Jarrett Allen.

• Like 1

I think that we can all agree that more veteran depth could be in order for the offseason. I was planning on saving this until later but since I was still up after prepping my meats to grill in the morning, well... 

Dunn has a player option next year but I wouldn't be surprised to see him return since there will be no Rondo or (likely) Lou Williams to fight over minutes with. Besides, who would be offering him more $$$ to start in light of this past season? And if he's not starting anywhere else, why in the hell would he leave to play on a lesser team? That being said, I would still pursue a backup PG.

And yes, they do need a bruising big somewhere (hell, ANYWHERE). While Capela, Collins, Gwu-Tang, even Gallinari did their best to hold the fort, would it be in their best interest to explore a better option than Bruno at this point? I'd lean towards keeping Knight though; something tells me that he has some hidden talent. Speaking of which...

The wing position is a very strong one when healthy. Between Bogdanovic, Hunter, Reddish, and Huerter, I see no one else getting any serious airtime on that station. And if Reddish keeps on coming, oh man.

Folks, what we shouldn't be doing is discussing moves to just beat the Bulls, Horcats, or Pistons on a random Tuesday night in January. Every move from this point forward should be made with not only hanging 52-60 wins but contending for the title as well. Getting a better backup PG along with some help to deal with much bigger guys, like Embiid, Lopez, Ayton, et al on the boards and in the post should be their top priorities on the roster.

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 2

hace 18 minutos, Dejay dijo:

I think that we can all agree that more veteran depth could be in order for the offseason. I was planning on saving this until later but since I was still up after prepping my meats to grill in the morning, well... 

Dunn has a player option next year but I wouldn't be surprised to see him return since there will be no Rondo or (likely) Lou Williams to fight over minutes with. Besides, who would be offering him more $$$ to start in light of this past season? And if he's not starting anywhere else, why in the hell would he leave to play on a lesser team? That being said, I would still pursue a backup PG.

And yes, they do need a bruising big somewhere (hell, ANYWHERE). While Capela, Collins, Gwu-Tang, even Gallinari did their best to hold the fort, would it be in their best interest to explore a better option than Bruno at this point? I'd lean towards keeping Knight though; something tells me that he has some hidden talent. Speaking of which...

The wing position is a very strong one when healthy. Between Bogdanovic, Hunter, Reddish, and Huerter, I see no one else getting any serious airtime on that station. And if Reddish keeps on coming, oh man.

Folks, what we shouldn't be doing is discussing moves to just beat the Bulls, Horcats, or Pistons on a random Tuesday night in January. Every move from this point forward should be made with not only hanging 52-60 wins but contending for the title as well. Getting a better backup PG along with some help to deal with much bigger guys, like Embiid, Lopez, Ayton, et al on the boards and in the post should be their top priorities on the roster.

Exactly, we need answers for some players we could not stop. We need a defensive big and a backup PG. Best options in my mind are McConnell and Cameron Payne and Dieng, Whiteside, Noel, Holmes and McGee. We also need some defense on he wing, I really like Bullock. And we still have a draft pick where we can choose a good Guard like Springer, Mann, Cameron Thomas… a scorer off the bench

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Alex said:

I’d look at moving Capela only if that means they are filling the void immediately.  Insert Jarrett Allen.

I look at that as an emotional response. 

Allen is not better at anything than Capela.   But he is big...    I wouldn't move Capela to get Allen unless we were getting something very needed for Capela. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Dejay said:

I agree here.   Also understand, that we have to plan on beating the big three of NJ and teams like Milwaukee.  Dunn may stay, but offensively, I don't know if Dunn can give us what we need.  It's hard to say though... his defense may be what we need on a 2nd team that will still be stacked. 

A big like Hassan or Dieng may be fitting just to give us play off the bench or in situations..

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

If people want to bring up rebounding, face the fact that our rebounding suffered because our bigs had to help stop perimeter penetration faaar too often which forced our bigs to be rotating to help block shots, leaving them out of position for rebounds. Our rebounding woes vs the Bucks were much more a function of missing Hunter and a Cam that had his stamina built up than anything to do with our bigs. Consistently poor showings on the perimeter by Heurter and Bogi didn't help. Bogi's injury can be partly to blame. 

You just communicated what was on the back of my mind. 

Brook Lopez was feasting on offensive rebounds because Gallo couldn't box him out while Capela was contesting shots. Having both Cam and Dre share the floor should help alleviate that issue on both boxing out and preventing penetration.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Why aren’t we asking what move could we make to bring in an all NBA level talent?  We need a big three.  

We wasn't there yet and we still may not be.  I think the big three is going to give way to 5 player teams which is what we have.   What beat us in Milwaukee series was Giannis going out.  

Game 5, their 5 starters all were in double figures.  All have great stat lines... Why.. because when Giannis went out, they were able to find their 5 player team.   Their ball movement was a work of art.   Their players were all ready...  They couldn't do all that with Giannis on the floor because he sucks up the offense too much.  He's not good enough to find every open player when he has the ball. 

This is what we will have with Hunter, Reddish, Trae, JC and Cap.   We have the ability to swing the ball.   And even though Capela is a god awful scorer... People don't recognize that he has a motor and he can run with us when we want to run. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

People clamoring for another center, you guys do realize we currently have a top 10 center in the NBA in Capela, along with a #6 draft pick that just finished his rookie season and shows a ton of promise, right? And assuming Collins returns, we also have our top 2 PF's in JC and Gallo. We don't want to be taking minutes away from Cap and especially not from Onyeka who should be much improved in his 2nd season. 

So what we're really shopping for is a 5th big who will likely play sparingly, probably only in case of injuries or load management rest. Sure, we need that guy; but this isn't some kind of difference maker of a player. And he's certainly not going to bump one of our top 4 out of a playoff rotation as long as the top 4 are healthy. Especially if Hunter is healthy and could log some small ball PF if one of our top 4 bigs are injured. 

If people want to bring up rebounding, face the fact that our rebounding suffered because our bigs had to help stop perimeter penetration faaar too often which forced our bigs to be rotating to help block shots, leaving them out of position for rebounds. Our rebounding woes vs the Bucks were much more a function of missing Hunter and a Cam that had his stamina built up than anything to do with our bigs. Consistently poor showings on the perimeter by Heurter and Bogi didn't help. Bogi's injury can be partly to blame. 

I'd also like to see Dunn return to try and shore up our perimeter defense, but if he returns he really needs to improve his shot. Hopefully now that he's healthy he is already working on that. 

In my mind... a big big with skill is a guy who can matchup with other bigs.  I'm sorry but Brook's dominance was not just a case of our bigs being out of position because they were helping.  This guy was literally going to the low post, point up and saying If you drive there's no way that JC, OO, or CC can Jump higher than I can and I will either dunk it or get the foul.  IN Game 6, JC worked hard to try to stop that lob from victimizing us but it was a size mismatch.   And we blame JC because he was not big enough..  

I say.. have on reserve that guy who can come in and matchup with these bigs and give them a hard time.  It may be OO but he needs more weight and strength.   And to Bud's credit... whenever he saw us go Small, he immediately put in Portis and Brooks... because he knew that it was a mismatch in their favor. 

We need some post scoring coming off of the bench. We need someone who can get us baskets in the paint. I know that this sounds crazy but we need someone like Jahlil Okafor. He is far from perfect but he has that old school offensive post/paint game that would come in handy when our shots aren't falling. 

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Priority List:
1. As much as Nate fustrates me with his rotations sometimes. Drop the interim tag so he becomes our permanent headcoach.

2. Resign Collins - yes he says he thinks he should be in the the max conversation, I don't think he gets one. Hawks offered 4/$90 a max from another team is 4/$120 - i think there can be a meeting of the minds somewhere in the middle.

3. Draft - the #20 pick: I'm hoping we can find a 'Capela like trade' - a young player, preferably a PG, on a reasonable long term deal to trade #20.

4. Point Guard - Trae signs his early extention. Back up PG - we went into last offseason needing one and here we are again needing one. I think Dunn picks up his option unfortunately. I hoping he doesn't. Target: TJ MCConnell

5. Lou, Hill and Snell are most likely gone. One of Lou or Hill maybe back on a vet min for the locker room. Lou gave us 1 great game in each playoff series but that was it.

6. The wings: Bogi, Hunter, Reddish Huerter - keepers for now. We never had them all healthy all year. If an early value deal for Huerter can be negotiated, do it.
Add depth players to replace Snell and Hill: Target:  Danuel House via trade. (Dunn and a 2nd or two).

7. The Bigs: Hawks need some added depth there. Okongwu - would like to see him progress next season to have him get an even split of minutes with Capela aa his backup. Is Bruno salvageable? Target: Dieng

Run it back and see where we are at the trade deadline.

PG: Young, McConnell, Goodwin
SG: Bogdan, Huerter,  Mays (2way)
SF: Hunter, Reddish, House
PF: Collins, Gallinari
C - Capela, Okongwu, Dieng, Fernando, Knight (2way)

I wouldn't complain about that. Their top priority should removing the interim tag from McMillan immediately. He's not perfect but he's taken this team further than any coach ever has. He deserves to be rewarded for that. 

I think that this is the end of the line for Snell, Lou, and Hill. I can see Lou retiring and the Hawks looking to use the cap space to either help with signing Collins or to upgrade a backup position. And yes, I could see that pick being packaged for an established player as well. Speaking of which...

As for Kris Dunn, I could see the Hawks moving him if he exercises his player option. He's quite a defender when healthy but you can't be laying bricks like Alan Henderson out on the perimeter. There are far worse moves they could make than adding McConnell. Mays can be an interesting piece down the line as well.

Add a couple of valuable pieces on the bench to go with what they already have. Pray for much better health. Watch Trae come back to whoop ass throughout the season to the point where the Hawks become a Sunday afternoon regular on ABC. Then witness them avenge their ECF loss to the Bucks a year from now.

'Big-3' in the East? You'd better include this team until Philly gets their house in order...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 1

• Admin

Just tinkering is all that is needed … we have a very deep roster … if we had a healthy Hunter, Bogi, YOung  and Cam we might be in the finals right now … solid backup pg and a third big.  

next season we are adding cam and Hunter to our current roster.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Just tinkering is all that is needed … we have a very deep roster … if we had a healthy Hunter, Bogi, YOung  and Cam we might be in the finals right now … solid backup pg and a third big.  

next season we are adding cam and Hunter to our current roster.

At full strength, the ECFs are still over. But the Hawks would've been prepping for a trip to Arizona while the GA National Guard is deployed to keep folks from flipping cars downtown...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1