• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 Atlanta Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

One of my T-wolf friends is kinda salty about our draft this year. He's an avid bball fan and he can't believe we got Johnson and Cooper where we got them in the draft. He had Cooper as 20-30 first rounder and Johnson as a mid teens selection. Talked to him after this game and he's complaining about how lucky I am as a Hawks fan to have a GM that knows how to draft and make good trades.

Let that sink in a minute. A knowledgeable fan of another team is jealous of us as Hawks fans. I couldn't help but laugh.

This is me when I think of our draft picks since 2017

wwoqa%2BGPcPw=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Other times I'm

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, sturt said:

So, two games into Summer League, here's what we know:

Cooper = Trae.

...got it.

So, two games into Summer League, here's what we know:

Cooper = Halliburton.

...got it.

Evidently not. I have to admit I hadn't figured it out yet either, though I realize now I was just fooling myself. So, rather, both BOS and IND have determined that their summer league guys have so impressed that they've relegated the likes of Brown, Tatum, Smart and Sabonis, LeVert and Brogdon to the bench.

More seriously, how can someone not like what they out of Cooper saw versus IND, and to an appreciably lesser but acceptable degree, versus BOS?

Count me intrigued.

But don't hate me because I (and others) have been down this road a couple of times.

Sobriety is a good thing. Getting drunk on first impressions can be a real bummer. Cooper had some success in the SEC, and that's no small thing. He also had some legitimate deficits in the SEC that, in the end, made him the 12th PG selected in the 2021 draft. That doesn't magically just disappear from the profile. Give it time. And higher competition. And most of all, don't set expectations so high now that it makes it more difficult for him to impress later--that happens, and a lot.

Not just basing this off his 2 SL games...Like I said Ive watched this kid since his freshman year in HS...Hes a winner and one of the best passers Ive seen..We dont need him to score much on the 2nd unit(even though he can do that too)..Just make plays for Huerter, Cam, Gallo, OO, etc..And I think he can do that better than Wright already..Just my opinion..We'll see..I actually liked him better than Trae coming out of highschool for what its worth...If Nate lets him compete in TC, and get a few min in the reg season,  Im pretty confident he'll be the backup pg sooner than later..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

One of my T-wolf friends is kinda salty about our draft this year. He's an avid bball fan and he can't believe we got Johnson and Cooper where we got them in the draft. He had Cooper as 20-30 first rounder and Johnson as a mid teens selection. Talked to him after this game and he's complaining about how lucky I am as a Hawks fan to have a GM that knows how to draft and make good trades.

Let that sink in a minute. A knowledgeable fan of another team is jealous of us as Hawks fans. I couldn't help but laugh.

I don't want to sound mean, but basketball front office's have to be some of the biggest idiots in all of sports . NBA GM's probably miss on guys more than any professional league, and they never seem to learn their lesson.

There are too many prevailing theories of how to evaluate a player or build a roster, and they all conflict with one another. 

We are in a really good spot, not just because Travis can draft well, because that takes a certain amount of luck (we're talking ping pong balls for crying out loud). But his total vision of HOW he wanted to execute this rebuild and never panicking or shifting just because things looked rough. 

We didn't just get lucky in the draft, we COMITTED to the draft. We didn't throw away picks, or waste them on long term projects overseas. We never made a player trade without trying to get a toss-in draft pick that could be used later so that we wouldn't have to burn ours. 

And on top of that, through 5 years, we have somehow managed to draft Best Player Available AND still fit our needs at the time and build the roster out evenly. I mean look at this lineup of just draft picks

Trae, Sharife, Graham*

Kev, Mays, Dorsey*

Dre, Cam

JC, JJ, Spellman*

OO, Bruno*

Were there a couple of misses in there, sure, but it didn't break us because we had multiple swings at the plate in Schlenk's own words.

You know who we don't mention that we missed on? Devonte Graham. We took him and traded him for 2 second round picks.  Schlenk is not perfect, but because he has such a good approach, his mistakes go unnoticed moajority of the time.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

You know who we don't mention that we missed on? Devonte Graham. We took him and traded him for 2 second round picks.  Schlenk is not perfect, but because he has such a good approach, his mistakes go unnoticed moajority of the time.

Devonte was not a Schlenk pick - he was trading the pick to Charlotte and they told him who to select.  Just like how we traded up for Hunter.

The Charlotte Hornets traded up in the second round of Thursday's NBA draft to select Kansas point guard Devonte' Graham with the No. 34 overall pick. The Hornets sent two future second-round picks (2019, 2023) to the Atlanta Hawks to help complete the trade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Devonte was not a Schlenk pick - he was trading the pick to Charlotte and they told him who to select.  Just like how we traded up for Hunter.

The Charlotte Hornets traded up in the second round of Thursday's NBA draft to select Kansas point guard Devonte' Graham with the No. 34 overall pick. The Hornets sent two future second-round picks (2019, 2023) to the Atlanta Hawks to help complete the trade.

Ok fair, lol  

Could you imagine if we stayed put and just grabbed him for ourselves though!

My overall point being Schenk doesn't make many mistakes if at all

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I don't want to sound mean, but basketball front office's have to be some of the biggest idiots in all of sports . NBA GM's probably miss on guys more than any professional league, and they never seem to learn their lesson.

There are too many prevailing theories of how to evaluate a player or build a roster, and they all conflict with one another. 

We are in a really good spot, not just because Travis can draft well, because that takes a certain amount of luck (we're talking ping pong balls for crying out loud). But his total vision of HOW he wanted to execute this rebuild and never panicking or shifting just because things looked rough. 

We didn't just get lucky in the draft, we COMITTED to the draft. We didn't throw away picks, or waste them on long term projects overseas. We never made a player trade without trying to get a toss-in draft pick that could be used later so that we wouldn't have to burn ours. 

And on top of that, through 5 years, we have somehow managed to draft Best Player Available AND still fit our needs at the time and build the roster out evenly. I mean look at this lineup of just draft picks

Trae, Sharife, Graham*

Kev, Mays, Dorsey*

Dre, Cam

JC, JJ, Spellman*

OO, Bruno*

Were there a couple of misses in there, sure, but it didn't break us because we had multiple swings at the plate in Schlenk's own words.

Even if Atlanta lost Graham this year, Charlotte got a 1st for him. Damn, that's elite value. We also traded Bol Bol. We didn't just pass on these kids, they were taking with our picks.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Ok fair, lol  

He doesn't, his best moves generally are the ones he doesn't make

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why are people still so high on Graham?  Who knows what or how he would've turned out if we'd kept him.  As it is, he's a pretty less-than-decent guard who's imminently replaceable.

Reminds me how folks were gaga over whOubre who we (essentially) traded for Hardaway, Jr.  Hardaway was, and always will be, the better player but folks still seem to feel like that was a 'miss'.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, deester11 said:

The infamous Ridge Road area...I'm a little surprised by the interest in basketball around the area.  More than I realized.

LOL i lived off ridge road for my entire childhood until i was 26.  My road connected ridge road to nebo.   Use to be called harris rd. now it's called hitchcock rd. i think.   I live up next to the old court house in dallas now my road is right across from the paulding library.  Thats awesome and crazy how close you lived and still somewhat live to me.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Ok fair, lol  

There is no guarantee that we would have taken him.