• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Skylar Mays is back on a 2-Way

ATLHawks3

• Premium Member

Skylar's other basketball option was to play overseas.

Conjecture would say that any overseas options evaporated or that Schlenk notified Skylar's agent that he will need to rescind the offer and make one to someone else if Skylar's not prepared to make the commitment.

The half-full part of Skylar's glass is that he's a legitimate back-up if there's an injury that arises at either the PG or SG position.

He's in a good place.

Some might recall that the HC at LSU said after Mays signed last year that he was slightly surprised that his former player didn't choose medical school instead of basketball... the point being, that that option also is probably still fairly viable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Great value. He has a clear path to a roster spot the following season if he keeps working.

People look at him as a finished product but he's still young. He showed some flashes in Summer League that understandably got overshadowed by the Rookies. I know it's just Summer League, but he did exactly what he was supposed to do against that level of competition. He played tough, played smart, and scored when the team needed him to. He even filled in admirably for Sharife and showed he could run the offense as an emergency PG. I'm not sure what options he had but he belongs on an NBA roster and I'm glad the Hawks brought him back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sturt said:

Skylar's other basketball option was to play overseas.

Conjecture would say that any overseas options evaporated or that Schlenk notified Skylar's agent that he will need to rescind the offer and make one to someone else if Skylar's not prepared to make the commitment.

The half-full part of Skylar's glass is that he's a legitimate back-up if there's an injury that arises at either the PG or SG position.

He's in a good place.

Some might recall that the HC at LSU said after Mays signed last year that he was slightly surprised that his former player didn't choose medical school instead of basketball... the point being, that that option also is probably still fairly viable.

Medical school? If you have a roster spot on an NBA team take that route. Some things you can only do when you're young. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Medical school? If you have a roster spot on an NBA team take that route. Some things you can only do when you're young. 

Apparently there was some sobriety that being the #50 pick might not be especially promising. And simultaneously some love of learning and some interest to get started on the rest of his life. That's what I recall reading, anyhow. But it's probably turned out to be more promising than originally anticipated.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

Skylar played like a mad man

I'm a fan. But honesty forces me to admit, there were multiple occasions when Skylar seemed like he was chucking it up and hoping for the best in SL... so, yes, if that's what playing like a mad man means. That said, he still ended up with some decent stats, I think.

15 hours ago, sturt said:

Apparently there was some sobriety that being the #50 pick might not be especially promising. And simultaneously some love of learning and some interest to get started on the rest of his life. That's what I recall reading, anyhow. But it's probably turned out to be more promising than originally anticipated.

I would say making half a million dollars at the end of the bench is quite promising. Beats the heck out of medical school. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

I would say making half a million dollars at the end of the bench is quite promising. Beats the heck out of medical school. 

And plus when you make that much money for a few years medical school will be paid for and then he can pursue whatever specialty he likes without concern for ability to pay back loans.  Maybe even become a missionary!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jdawgflow said:

And plus when you make that much money for a few years medical school will be paid for and then he can pursue whatever specialty he likes without concern for ability to pay back loans.  Maybe even become a missionary!

People always seem to think doctors make these incredible salaries. A lot them actually don't. They often have enormous overhead with malpractice insurance, medical assistants, equipment costs, etc. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, bleachkit said:

People always seem to think doctors make these incredible salaries. A lot them actually don't. They often have enormous overhead with malpractice insurance, medical assistants, equipment costs, etc. 

Amen BK.  Not to mention the cost of training.  That is why I think if he can bank some cash now for a few years and play a game he loves, he can then go to medical school with no stress about bills (sometimes up to almost $400k for training) and just enjoy something else he apparently loves.  

• Like 1