• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do you believe in the Trae Young Rule Yet.

Diesel

This is supposed to change the game for the better?  It's OK to foul, as long as you do it to Trae.  Is this what we're hearing?  This is the planned way to stop the Hawks?

As Diesel said, he hit those shots any way.

"Free at last!  Free at last!  Thank God, I'm free at last.!"  Really?  Free from the horror of having my team face Trae and his team?  Get real, whoever you are.

:hi:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Diesel said:

I was watching the highlights today.. they talked about the Hawks game and they outlined Trae Young and his inability to get a foul called.  Then one of the mediapersons said... "thank God....  What will Young do now?"  

The media and the league got it out for Trae.   Those guys had just forgotten that he had just dropped 27/15.

It's going to cause some growing pains but I believe Trae is resilient. 

Meanwhile....

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, marco102 said:

As long as they don't give it to other players, I don't mind it.  

However, if they don't call it for Trae and give it to other star players, I'm going to be pretty livid.

Either way, as long as Trae is shooting the ball well it won't matter.

My point is that the rule was made for Trae.  It was made because of Trae.  I doubt that it's a rule that is carried fourth among every player.   In fact, by game 1, Lakers vs. Warriors, I can almost guarantee that Lebron will get the call.  Steph may not.   But Lebron will look hard at the ref and the ref is going to blow his whistle. 

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Meanwhile....

It's preseason!

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

It was preseason for Trae too or am I missing something?

Ask the question again 3 weeks into the regular season. We'll have more data to review then.

Don't worry.. it will be on display for all to see.

Let's be clear.. The impetus for this rule change was Trae Young and how he demolished the Knicks and the 76ers in the playoffs. Little Trae Young is not supposed to have 50 point games.   So because he's the impetus, he's the one that will be watched the most. 

What... You say Trae wasn't the impetus?

How long has Curry, Harden, and Lebron been doing the exact same thing.... Harden most of all?  How long has it been that offensive players have created contact to get a foul call??  Years before Trae even entered the league!!  So now.. Trae enters the league and they see this 5'9" guy dominating... putting up MVP like numbers and willing his team to the playoffs... and he's a horrible three point shooter.... It must be the fouls.   They should just name it the Trae Young rule and tell the league that it's only for Trae.  Yeah, they will put on a dog and pony show for a few weeks... but when the season gets past Christmas... Lebron will be getting his calls with regularity. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Diesel said:

Don't worry.. it will be on display for all to see.

Let's be clear.. The impetus for this rule change was Trae Young and how he demolished the Knicks and the 76ers in the playoffs. Little Trae Young is not supposed to have 50 point games.   So because he's the impetus, he's the one that will be watched the most. 

What... You say Trae wasn't the impetus?

How long has Curry, Harden, and Lebron been doing the exact same thing.... Harden most of all?  How long has it been that offensive players have created contact to get a foul call??  Years before Trae even entered the league!!  So now.. Trae enters the league and they see this 5'9" guy dominating... putting up MVP like numbers and willing his team to the playoffs... and he's a horrible three point shooter.... It must be the fouls.   They should just name it the Trae Young rule and tell the league that it's only for Trae.  Yeah, they will put on a dog and pony show for a few weeks... but when the season gets past Christmas... Lebron will be getting his calls with regularity. 

Never said Trae wasn't the reason. He was tearing the Nets a new one in Game 4 of the regular season to a tune of 16 free throw attempts when Nash who was famous for getting fouled from behind got up all in his feelings with 'That's not basketball'.  The next time we played the Nets which was Game 5 Trae had 4 freethrow attempts but the Hawks still won.

I will await the 3 week data in the regular season. Like @marco102 said as long as it's called equally, I have no issue.

• Like 2

You put up a good defense Diesel, but I don't think Trae was the prime reason for the new "rule".  I don't really have nearly the defense you do.  About all I can say is Trae didn't beat the Knicks and Sixers with those type fouls as much as he did with the floater.  Either way it will be very interesting to follow.  Like you said, someone like Lebron will probably not go for the change and it'll just slide away on him and gradually on the rest of the league.

• Premium Member

Idk if I believe the rule was made because of Trae.  People have been tired of watching Harden draw fouls like that for years, and not that you see it regularly from Steph, Lillard, Butler, Trae, and more -- the league was forced to finally do something about it.  Gaming the refs got a lot worse in the last couple years and I think these new rules were bound to come about with or without trae 

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Idk if I believe the rule was made because of Trae.  People have been tired of watching Harden draw fouls like that for years, and not that you see it regularly from Steph, Lillard, Butler, Trae, and more -- the league was forced to finally do something about it.  Gaming the refs got a lot worse in the last couple years and I think these new rules were bound to come about with or without trae 

I tend to disagree. 

Harden and company has been doing it for years.  Harden won an MVP doing it.   However, Trae has drawn the ire of coaches, players, and broadcasters because he wins. 

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-thats-not-basketball-steve-nash-calls-out-trae-young-for-drawing-ticky-tacky-fouls-during-hawks-vs-nets/

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Diesel said:

I was watching the highlights today.. they talked about the Hawks game and they outlined Trae Young and his inability to get a foul called.  Then one of the mediapersons said... "thank God....  What will Young do now?"  

The media and the league got it out for Trae.   Those guys had just forgotten that he had just dropped 27/15.

It's going to cause some growing pains but I believe Trae is resilient. 

It doesn’t matter. What they don’t realize is that Trae made 1st team all star the year before he mastered the foul baiting. So yeah, all they are doing is poking the bear. 

• Like 2

Trae was clearly the main catalyst for the rule and it is a considerable issue for his production.  He averaged 9 attempts in 34 minutes last year.  5 attempts in 48 minutes this preseason.  I haven’t been watching because I’m a baseball nerd as well but obviously he hasn’t gotten the three point foul when defenders go over screens.  I no longer have to hear Nique try to clown opponents for fighting over screens and actually defending shots thank you Jesus Christ, God, Allah, Buddha, Jehovah, sacred cows and chickens, whomever.

BRef now has projections.  It expects Trae’s win shares per 48 to drop considerably from .163 to .139.  That’s not good.  His usage has to drop from 33 to about 29-30, same with his minutes by a couple.  

What’s more troubling though is Coops FT rate.  After looking good in SL, 2 attempts in 54 minutes during preseason.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

What’s more troubling though is Coops FT rate.  After looking good in SL, 2 attempts in 54 minutes during preseason.

I'm not sure how you can discern much of anything from just 54 minutes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Trae looks fine imo, he just needs to continue to be an elite passer and distributor while keeping the defense honest with his 3P shot and floater.  He also can keep them honest with help D by blowing by his defender.  He doesn't need to draw fouls at all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I haven’t been watching because I’m a baseball nerd as well but obviously he hasn’t gotten the three point foul when defenders go over screens.

1. I think defenders got more mindful of just aggressively running up on him going over screens since last season, and

2. Racking up 15 assists will do that. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Trae was clearly the main catalyst for the rule and it is a considerable issue for his production.  He averaged 9 attempts in 34 minutes last year.  5 attempts in 48 minutes this preseason.  I haven’t been watching because I’m a baseball nerd as well but obviously he hasn’t gotten the three point foul when defenders go over screens.  I no longer have to hear Nique try to clown opponents for fighting over screens and actually defending shots thank you Jesus Christ, God, Allah, Buddha, Jehovah, sacred cows and chickens, whomever.

BRef now has projections.  It expects Trae’s win shares per 48 to drop considerably from .163 to .139.  That’s not good.  His usage has to drop from 33 to about 29-30, same with his minutes by a couple.  

Then why are you drawing these conclusions? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3