• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

11 minutes ago, Sothron said:

What do they do with the ball though? They just stand there and wait for Trae to get free to give it back to him. When they have the ball they do nothing with it. That's not being a ball handler. If they would drive with it or initiate the offense it would actually help our offense.

Why is that?

This is more "Nate" ball than "Trae" ball:

The Indiana Pacers fired Nate McMillan on Wednesday after they were swept out of the first round of the playoffs, but it was the coach's approach to the offense that caused the team to move in another direction.

According to Sam Amick of The Athletic, McMillan was "known to be resistant to some of the offensive philosophies that have become a major part of today's game," reportedly creating "frustration" within the front office.

A reliance on mid-range jumpers made the coach an "inopportune fit" offensively for Indiana.

McMillan wasn't always proactive when it came to making game-to-game or quarter-to-quarter adjustments. The team's crunch-time execution, particularly in its most recent sweep at the hands of the Miami Heat, was plagued by disorganization, miscommunication, and a penchant for iso-ball.

McMillan's offenses in Indiana were, on the whole, pretty vanilla. His Pacers played a lot of methodical, station-to-station basketball, with rote sets and a shot profile that consistently lagged behind the times. McMillan's teams have almost always played slow, going back to his years in Portland, and the Pacers have ranked in the bottom 10 in pace for three years running. They ranked dead last in the NBA in both 3-point attempt rate and free-throw attempt rate this year. They ranked no higher than 23rd in either category in any of the last three seasons. The team hasn't lacked for good shooters, either; it's just that those shooters have subsisted mostly on jumpers inside the arc. Indiana ranked in the top three in long-mid-range attempt rate every year of McMillan's tenure.

One of the biggest gripes people had about McMillan was his archaic offense and his inability to make adjustments between games. They ran a simple and predictable offense that revolved around the pick and roll. It rarely set up players outside of the ball-handler and the player setting the screen.

Indiana does not have an elite player to mask McMillan’s flaws on offense, so it made things look stagnant and did not have the longevity to win a playoff series. 

Nate has to show me more. At this point he is a poor man's Woody that has one of the best offensive players in NBA history playing "ISO JOE" ball.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

This is more of a coaching issue to me, Trae can't be allowed to do PnR all game when every team in the league is ready for it now. We need a counter punch and it's inexcusable to not have something. 

Agree 100%, I'm scared Nate doesn't have the offensive mind for it though, which leaves me wondering how we evolve our offense.

• Thanks 2

I wanted Trae to be a very good basketball player when he came into the NBA to prove his doubters wrong.  Big mistake.  I was tired of his act halfway through his rookie season.  Like has been expounded upon over and over, this is who he is.  He is NOT TRYING to be a point guard, PERIOD.  Then, the unforgivable, HE QUIT ON HIS TEAMMATES IN CHARLOTTE AFTER THE TEAM MEETING LAST SEASON. He is getting a pass big time for that antic.  Its plain that you can't reel him in as a head coach or a team mate, which is why I keep harping on the Hawks getting a superstar like Kyrie Irving to pair with him.  Travis made a mistake building around him.  Now he is compounding it by not building a big three around Trae.  Its the ONLY way it would work with a player like him.  You have to force the ball out of his hand and put him in position of "shame"  if he tries to push back against it.  Trae knows he can push back against these average to good players, but can't pull them stunts with a real baller.  It would make him look bad.

• Sad 1

• marco102 changed the title to CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!