• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Injury Thread 2022-2023

JayBirdHawk

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Oh no! Just when I thought Dre had gotten past the injury bugaboo! :blanky:. Please don't be anything serious🙏 

Hawks need to get off of that Dre contract.. Sorry.. Im afraid he has arthritis in his hands AND his knees.. Add that to not being the quickest thinker on the court, and just damn..:sad:

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I've decided that Jalen is the key to our 2022-23 season ending well.

He is the one asset we have that I've come to believe is an everywhere-on-the-court asset, and at the same time, represents a whole other factor in the equation of our outcomes because he's played as little as he has... and one would think, would be totally rested and with plenty of fuel to make a significant impact.

Everyone else on the roster is a known quantity with some fairly-proven weakness or limitation to their game.

Jalen can impact the game on both sides of the court, and from the rim to the arc. As Gray has kept fresh in many of our minds, the CPS head coach spoke a year ago of Jalen as reminding him of *gasp* LBJ. That seemed like hyperbole in the first degree, though specifically because I just didn't have any good sense of what JJ was/is capable of doing defensively. These last few weeks, I've seen the player stay in front of players I wouldn't have thought he'd be able to hang with. His hands are active. He has good instincts, but therein has been his one flaw, that sometimes he's let his instincts distract him from what he's been coached to cover on defense and he'll occasionally get burned... but that's a head thing... that's correctable.

It's a stretch, of course, to expect  JJ to (a) stay healthy and (b) put it all together for whatever number of games remain to be played. I'm not saying I expect it. I'm saying that if we do something unbelievable after this unsatisfying .500-ish season, it will be because we saw Jalen Johnson break out and become a genuine weapon that every team has to account for.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

When I mentioned that Last year, Jalen missed a slew of games due to injury..  it went unheard.

Welp.. This year, Jalen has missed a slew of games because of injury. 

we're finding that you can't count on guys who stay injured.  We could sure use him.. if for nothing else, inbounding the damn ball. 

9 hours ago, sturt said:

I'm an amateur, never professional. I dabble. It's a hobby. Might even say it's why I started HS (?), because I had all this pent-up sports rage that needed to get out.... hehehehe.

Made me look. I now know what an alphorn is. And you realize, you just gave a wordy guy a whole new word to add to his vocabulary... what were you thinking?... hehehe

But yeah, just objectively speaking if it's not obvious, I really don't care. Word count means nothing to me. I say whatever I consider necessary to getting the point across. I laugh at this generation who thinks you can make a reasoned, logical argument out of a tweet or two... it's ridiculous.

And criticisms about word count are but shallow efforts at deflection that, to the intelligent, signal that the critic has no substance to offer, so they go with what they consider their next best weapon... a form of ad hominem... attacking the person because there's really no debating the person's message.

Just sayin.

Not sure why you ask, benhillboy. Unusual for someone to post something in that vein without there having been some preceding disagreement on topic X. Or, is this chivalry on your part, going back a few posts? Dunno. I mean, chivalry is fine and all, but just know that that's also just reaffirming an assertion I've made in the last week and a few times before that.

Call me Leonard.

I didn’t mean that as a slight of any kind, tone has 0 wins on the internet.  Just sayin you leave no stone unturned in an argument is all.  

But it is quite possible to get a point across simply and succinctly as I’m sure you weren’t trying to say there isn’t.  Just not your style, cool.  I’m a huge fan of minimalism myself.  I’ve found eliminating quarrels and explaining myself (especially my hard stances) as little as possible downright invigorating in my 40’s lol.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, sturt said:

Made me look. I now know what an alphorn is. And you realize, you just gave a wordy guy a whole new word to add to his vocabulary... what were you thinking?... hehehe

image.png

(sturt wasn't the only one who learned what an alphorn is)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I didn’t mean that as a slight of any kind, tone has 0 wins on the internet.  Just sayin you leave no stone unturned in an argument is all.  

But it is quite possible to get a point across simply and succinctly as I’m sure you weren’t trying to say there isn’t.  Just not your style, cool.  I’m a huge fan of minimalism myself.  I’ve found eliminating quarrels and explaining myself (especially my hard stances) as little as possible downright invigorating in my 40’s lol.

It's all good. It's a choice some make consciously, some unconsciously, and depending on the situation.

Interesting the timing because I just got burned having preferred simple and succinct in some instructions given to the copy guy at Office Depot... my fault b/c I literally consciously deleted a sentence in my email, thinking "that might offend him, thinking I needed to explain that part."

Cost me $50.

But yeah, as a rule, I don't do that. As a rule, of erring on the side of too little or too much, I think we save ourselves a heckuvalotta miscommunication to eliminate as much ambiguity as possible. As a human race, I'm persuaded we routinely talk past each other because we don't completely understand one another's perspectives.... well, that, and we tend to read/listen for what we find fault with first, rather than read/listen as much for where we can find agreement. And otherwise, we don't ask enough clarifying questions.

I could elaborate.... hehe.... but nah, that's sufficient... 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He's most likely done for the rest of the regular season.

Dre threw down thunderous dunks in two games in a row( I was like Wow. Was that Dre?), then hit the injury report with knee issues, looked like ass in two straight games, and now has been temporarily shut down until the knee recovers.  Geez...

Edited by terrell

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

This might be good for Dre in that he won't be talked about as the scapegoat after every loss!  Oh Wait, that actually happened in the last game when he didn't play.  Never-mind!

Its never good when Dre has knee issues after multiple surgeries.... 

He's gonna become untradeable just like JC... smh

Not saying theyre gonna move him.. Just sayin....

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Of the 77 games played, here's the total games played by (longest stretch of missed games):

Trae - 70 (Trae didn't have any b2b missed games he missed 2 of 4 games in late Jan/early Feb)

DJ - 70 (missed 5 games in mid-Dec with sprained ankle)

Dre - 65(missed 4 games in early Dec, then 3 games in late Dec)

JC - 67 (missed 8 games in early Dec)

CC - 61 (missed 14 of 16 games in Dec/Jan)

Bogi - 51 (missed the first 22 games of the season then didn't play in 3 additional b2b games)

OO - 75 ( our Iron Man this season)

The rest:

JJ - 65, AJ - 68, Bey - 72 (20 w/ Hawks, missed 1 with the trade hold up), ASH - 59, Vit - 26, Martin - 13, Bruno - 36 (5 with Hawks), Mat-Hues - 52 (7 with Hawks)

• Like 2

• Moderators
22 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Of the 77 games played, here's the total games played by (longest stretch of missed games):

Trae - 70 (Trae didn't have any b2b missed games he missed 2 of 4 games in late Jan/early Feb)

Bogi - 51 (missed the first 22 games of the season then didn't play in 3 additional b2b games)

The rest:

JJ - 65, AJ - 68, Bey - 72 (20 w/ Hawks, missed 1 with the trade hold up), ASH - 59, Vit - 26, Martin - 13, Bruno - 36 (5 with Hawks), Mat-Hues - 52 (7 with Hawks)

And unfortunately Dre maybe stuck at 65 after a pretty reliable season.  

Kudos to Bogi for coming back and staying back.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 4/2/2023 at 11:08 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

The rest:

Trae - 73

DJ - 74. Most games since his 2nd season.

Dre - 67 (if he plays tomorrow). Most games he's played since coming into the league.

JC - 71. First time Collins has played 70+ games since his rookie year

CC - 65

Bogi - 54

OO - 80 games. After missing so many games with injury his first 2 season, glad to see such a bounce back year from OO. The 2 games he missed, one was for personal reasons the other was a sore hamstring in January. Congrats big guy!

• Like 2