• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

OO has the Al Horford skill set, not the Dwight Howard skill set. Let’s not rehash the Al Horford stretch 5/ or is he a 4 argument.

I’d like to see OO develop a jumpshot and stay slim for a 4 spot long term. 

He could get bullied to death against Gobert or Embiid in the East.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

And JJ?

When does he begin getting minutes at the 4? What is his long-term role?

What about JJ? He got an injury right now, I just hope he can win that backup 4 spot and get Gallo minutes. Bro was just in the G-League getting less minutes than the Gleagers when they came to the NBA. He got a lot of work to do to impress Nate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

OO has the Al Horford skill set, not the Dwight Howard skill set. Let’s not rehash the Al Horford stretch 5/ or is he a 4 argument.

I’d like to see OO develop a jumpshot and stay slim for a 4 spot long term. 

He could get bullied to death against Gobert or Embiid in the East.

Horford plays PF for the Celtics, Williams is their center. 

For me, I liken Okongwu to Horace Grant. Horford was much better but Grant defensive versatility, his ability to move without the ball, soft touch, he was good at so many little things. 

They are both about 6'9 with a 7ft wingspan at 250 pounds. Both can move and finish. I think Atlanta got a real steal with Okongwu. 

Okongwu can defend his ass off 1v1. He actually is one of the best defenders in the NBA against Giannis, Embiid, and Adebayo. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, sturt said:

giphy.gif

I dont see this current Hawks team winning a Championship as constructed.... Changes are needed imo..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, georgia said:

Stein says we didn’t do the deal of Grant for Bogi and 16?      What on earth

There's still time.  That deal sends Grant to PTL and we get back Bledsoe/#7 (said that 3 weeks ago from good source)...  BUT....  If we're going after Russell/Ayton, then this deal may get botched. 

2 hours ago, Dean Walker said:

Here we Go!!!

Echo Chamber...

3 minutes ago, terrell said:

I dont see this current Hawks team winning a Championship anytime soon.. Changes are needed imo..

Facts 

Trae

Daniels 

Hunter 

Okongwu 

Ayton 

Starting lineup won't win you a title in 2023 but the plan is to contender by 2024. That means we need development for everyone. 

Daniels and Okongwu got DPOY potential. Hunter is already a very good man defender but he needs to develop as a team defender similar to Wiggins. 

Ayton is a good defender and an excellent paint protector with his athleticism, length and size. 

We got the makings of a great team that could consistently win in this league and contend. Everything meshes well. No fools gold. Guys who can guard 3 positions from 2-4 and Ayton can paint protection and be a legit #1 or #2 option if heavily spammed. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

What about JJ? He got an injury right now, I just hope he can win that backup 4 spot and get Gallo minutes. Bro was just in the G-League getting less minutes than the Gleagers when they came to the NBA. He got a lot of work to do to impress Nate. 

I hear that. I just think the same case can be made for both guys.

OO hasn't proven himself as a PF... and if we're being honest, he's still not someone you trust to log starter's minutes at C either.

JJ hasn't proven himself as an NBA player yet, but what we've seen of him, he's a very capable PF.

The two equations are too similar to pretend one has some decided advantage in coming to fruition over the other, imo.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

I hear that. I just think the same case can be made for both guys.

OO hasn't proven himself as a PF... and if we're being honest, he's still not someone you trust to log starter's minutes at C either.

JJ hasn't proven himself as an NBA player yet, but what we've seen of him, he's a very capable PF.

The two equations are too similar to pretend one has some decided advantage in coming to fruition over the other, imo.

OO has proven himself which is most important. You are right, he will have to prove himself at PF. That's a fact and he would be filling in the shoes of John Collins, who to me is the best PF outside of Horford who I just have as a big to play in Atlanta Hawks history. So yeah, he got big shoes to fill. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, terrell said:

I dont see this current Hawks team winning a Championship.. Changes are needed imo..

All I can do and have done is point out the numbers.

People don't want to accept the numbers.

They think our 23 year-olds are 27 year-olds.

They think what Gumbo Hawks achieved is somehow a stain on what Real Hawks achieved.

They think the MIA series says something more than MIA had/has a superior defense.

Can't do anything about any of that.

People want their new toys.

• Thanks 1

The day I see OO actually attempt a faceup jumper in a live game is the day I start considering him playing some 4. Until then, he is a rim running, back to the basket, baby hook having Center.

He holds his own exceptionally against the best centers. There is nothing that says he can’t play the 5. The only questions he has apply to moving him to the 4. He is going in to year 3 now and people are wanting to try him out at PF, like he is some project.

He is a unicorn at the 5. Some posters want to move him and make him average. And it only has to do with his height.  Because if he was taller nobody would be making this argument about playing the 4.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I rest... again... in the trust that Schlenk's words will be proven... again... to be predictive of what he ended up doing.

No major overhaul.

And, somewhat overlooked... no new players who he considers to bring some question mark to the locker room.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The day I see OO actually attempt a faceup jumper in a live game is the day I start considering him playing some 4. Until then, he is a rim running, back to the basket, baby hook having Center.

He holds his own exceptionally against the best centers. There is nothing that says he can’t play the 5. The only questions he has apply to moving him to the 4. He is going in to year 3 now and people are wanting to try him out at PF, like he is some project.

He is a unicorn at the 5. Some posters want to move him and make him average. And it only has to do with his height.  Because if he was taller nobody would be making this argument about playing the 4.

There is so much to his game ya'll always avoid talking about. His elite movement skills. His ability to move cut and make reads. He doesn't have a center skill-set. Most centers can't do that. 

He's not going to be more than decent at best as a starting center next to Trae. Trae is someone we have to account for. He's going to play 35 mpg in a playoff setting. If we want to win around him, everyone has to be plus plus defensive at their position outside of our top scoring option outside of Trae. 

With Trae, the 5 has to have real size and length. Okongwu becomes like JC, expendable at the 5. At the 4, he can develop into be dispensable. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

OO would only be valuable staying at the 5 if he was either larger physically or can stretch the floor which neither applies.

Well, but... while the former isn't a possibility, he wouldn't be the first post man to show he can stretch the floor.

I think many of us, in fact, are pretty bullish on that latter one.

Just now, sturt said:

Well, but... while the former isn't a possibility, he wouldn't be the first post man to show he can stretch the floor.

I think many of us, in fact, are pretty bullish on that latter one.

Many of us are bullish on the fact that he needs to be a PF, SOONER THAN LATER. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

With Trae, the 5 has to have real size and length.

You can say that, but Schlenk might not.

Schlenk's comments for two years now have suggested he believes smaller post players are going to become convention. That conviction first came to light after MIA won their rings.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Many of us are bullish on the fact that he needs to be a PF, SOONER THAN LATER. 

You said that. Repeating it doesn't make it seem more credible just b/c you repeated it.

Supes, you tend to get kinda temperamental when it comes to people disagreeing with your more subjective conclusions. It's one thing to argue that the GM has said X, and so we should assume X until new talk or new action suggests differently... another to argue, I've said X, and so you all should assume X until I'm proven wrong.

You're loved. But it doesn't mean we can't disagree with you, friend.

• Like 2