• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Okongwu & the Summer that Changed Everything

ShooterSays

2 hours ago, Wretch said:

That doesn't mean "trade him now!" (even though I've said those exact words lol).

image.gif.ea6332fd00bdb282fe8b99627fc67389.gif

2 hours ago, Wretch said:

Remember when you wanted to trade Okongwu!? Huh!  Here's the receipt."

I got like 47.5 receipts 🧾 from you on OO. I think my neighbors know where you stand with OO. 😆 

You are gonna eat these words by mid season. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wretch said:

I mean...that's how that works with things that fluctuate in value right? 😅

True but I think OO could be really good for us.  Seems content in his role and still improving. 

Contrast that with similar guys like Mitchell Robinson who occupy similar space, but wAnT mORe TouChEs and all that crap.

I'm not overrating him or suggesting there are no upgrades to be had.  But I think the odds of shipping him out and ending up in a better situation are relatively low. 

Edited by kg01
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, AHF said:

While I am always willing to listen to interest in any player, I would not be so eager to deal OO as you.  I don’t think there is superstar potential there but I think his value should continue to rise in the near term.  He has the tooos to be a standout defender in the modern game and his offense shows signs of expanding out to include better floor spacing.  That is a m quite valuable combination even without massive improvements outside of that.  It is also a blend of skills that isn’t easy to find.  So while I would listen and always want to “sell high” in a trade (ie win the trade) I would be reluctant to”dangle” him (which to me means actively trying to sell him for whatever best offer the market will support).

The part in bold is the only disagreement I have.  Actively sell, yes.  What ever the best offer is, absolutely not.  It may sound like I'm eager to trade him, but I'm not.  Now, we all have our favorites.  If I had to rank the three young guys always coming up in our conversations it would be AJ, JJ, OO for me.  The way people are on edge about OO's name coming up in anything, that's how I am with AJ. 

The difference is, I'm eager to deal ANYBODY, yes even AJ, if it means a blockbuster move that shifts the landscape.  If the best we can do for OO is a lateral move for equivalent talent at a different position, I'm not interested.  I would rather keep him and hope that he is indeed an all-world defender and grows into the kind of player that (as I've said over and over again) tends to be my favorite.  Worst case, if we're not (significantly) moving the needle by trading him, then I'd rather keep him and find that front court compliment that he would fit seamlessly with.

Ultimately, this is FAR more of an issue with holding onto players too long vs. "I don't like OO" or "I want to trade OO because his stock is high."  I maintain that timing of when deals are made is far more impactful in shaping a contender than simply making a deal because you can.  We are not a contender, so for me everything is on the table except for the one piece that I know is championship material.

26 minutes ago, Diesel said:

There's more reason to believe that AJ is on his way than to believe that JJ or OO is on theirs. 

AJ has a high ceiling, more feel, pedigree. Nah, JJ is the weakest link. But I LOVEM ALL!!!! :batman:

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Should we do the same with AJ?

You damn right. lol I've said this over and over again: everything is negotiable.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone that believes JJ is the one or that OO is going to be special.  They all have great qualities and we all see different things.  We all have our favorites and AJ is mine.  That doesn't mean I won't trade him or that I wouldn't dangle him.  I absolutely would if the deal shifts the landscape.  There are those who won't trade either of the other two (some probably all three).

I would say that I'm more willing to gamble on AJ than either of the other two and with a gun to my head, OO is the one that I'd trade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

AJ has a high ceiling, more feel, pedigree. Nah, JJ is the weakest link. But I LOVEM ALL!!!! :batman:

The problems that OO and JJ suffer from is size and that leads to not being 100% of their true position.   OO has come up as a C but he's 6'8" or 6'9 on a good day.   He doesn't shoot from outside enough to be a 4 nor would his mechanics support it. 

JJ is thin for a PF.   People are applauding that he can hold his own vs. Obi Toppin.   We talking about Obi Toppin,  not KD.  Hell not even Randle.  He needs more weight to be our penciled him PF.   I think he will get there but he has to get there. 

AJ is the right size.  He has the right temperament.  He has tools.  At 19, he's further on the path to reach his ceiling than JJ or OO... and he has a high ceiling.   Hunter needs to stay woke.   Aj is hunting him. 

• Like 1

Sneaking in a name no one has mentioned (and he's a keeper) and has already signed his new contract.  Mohamed Gueye is going to be very special.  He's on my, "Please do not trade" list.  

Yep.  No one mentions him.  Don't!  Just keep quiet and we'll sneak him in when no one expects it!

:peanut-butter-jelly-time:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Sneaking in a name no one has mentioned (and he's a keeper) and has already signed his new contract.  Mohamed Gueye is going to be very special.  He's on my, "Please do not trade" list.  

Yep.  No one mentions him.  Don't!  Just keep quiet and we'll sneak him in when no one expects it!

Who 🤔 

- inspiring actor spud 🥔 

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

image.gif.ea6332fd00bdb282fe8b99627fc67389.gif

I got like 47.5 receipts 🧾 from you on OO. I think my neighbors know where you stand with OO. 😆 

You are gonna eat these words by mid season. 

LOL, and keep saving them!

I still think you misunderstand my feelings on him.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Gueye could be the PF of the future for the Hawks.   I suppose he will spend some time in CP.   However, As he gets a better feel for the game, it's going to be hard to keep him out of contention for the PF position. 

• Premium Member

Atlanta's Highest-Ceiling Prospect

Onyeka Okongwu

Onyeka Okongwu turns 23 in December and has just three seasons of NBA experience under his belt, but he's already shown enough to justify the Atlanta Hawks' apparent willingness to move Clint Capela.

Over the last two years, Okongwu has averaged 9.2 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocks, while shooting 65.4 percent from the field, and in only 22.2 minutes per game. And while that efficiency is largely tied to the fact that the bulk of his shots come from around the rim, Okongwu has become fairly reliable in the floater range too.

Ultimately, though, Okongwu's ceiling has as much to do with his defense as it does anything else.

His ability to protect the rim is pretty well known, but Okongwu is also solid on the perimeter (relative to other bigs) and can generate extra possessions with steals.

Predicting All-Star or All-NBA nods might be a bit bold (though certainly not crazy), but All-Defense selections certainly aren't out of reach.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10085943-every-nba-teams-highest-ceiling-prospect