• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Okongwu & the Summer that Changed Everything

ShooterSays

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Looks like they are working on moving OO to the 4. Makes sense with the JC move, and his shot looks great here! Hope it translates to the regular season, because if not, a frontcourt of OO and CC may be tough to watch. Keep up the great work OO! :clapping:

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Lonzo Ball on former teammate Onyeka Okongwu

The Atlanta Hawks have one of the NBA’s more intriguing backups in fourth-year big man Onyeka Okongwu.

Selected with the No. 6 overall pick in 2020, Okongwu has flashed an enticing blend of athleticism and touch, 63.8% of his looks overall and even extending his range out to three-point distances this past season.

But he was not always so appealing to the eyes on the basketball court.

“Honestly, when he came, he wasn’t even good at it,” said Okongwu’s former high school teammate Lonzo Ball on the “From The Point Podcast by Trae Young” on August 20. “He just started playing. You could tell. He was super clumsy. He was our third-string center, actually, the year we went undefeated. … O was just the last one up.”

It took a pair of unfortunate circumstances – a torn ACL and personal reasons – for Okongwu to get his first chance in high school at Chino Hills where the Ball brothers were celebrities.

“I never seen someone get that good that fast, bro,” Ball continued. “He went from not being able to do layups and stuff to like really just dunking s***, just catching it, hitting 15-footers. And then, yeah, he panned out being No. 6 overall so. O is like my little brother, man. I’m so proud of him.”

Ball was good friends with Okongwu’s older brother, Nnamdi, who also starred at Chino Hill but passed away after a freak skateboarding accident. His collegiate jersey number (21) is retired by the Hawks in honor of Dominque Wilkins.

Okongwu switched to No. 17 upon entering the NBA to honor his brother.

“O’s big brother … Nnamdi was actually a good friend of mine,” Ball said. “He passed away that year so it was a different whole different relationship when Big O came.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Lonzo Ball on former teammate Onyeka Okongwu

The Atlanta Hawks have one of the NBA’s more intriguing backups in fourth-year big man Onyeka Okongwu.

Selected with the No. 6 overall pick in 2020, Okongwu has flashed an enticing blend of athleticism and touch, 63.8% of his looks overall and even extending his range out to three-point distances this past season.

But he was not always so appealing to the eyes on the basketball court.

“Honestly, when he came, he wasn’t even good at it,” said Okongwu’s former high school teammate Lonzo Ball on the “From The Point Podcast by Trae Young” on August 20. “He just started playing. You could tell. He was super clumsy. He was our third-string center, actually, the year we went undefeated. … O was just the last one up.”

It took a pair of unfortunate circumstances – a torn ACL and personal reasons – for Okongwu to get his first chance in high school at Chino Hills where the Ball brothers were celebrities.

“I never seen someone get that good that fast, bro,” Ball continued. “He went from not being able to do layups and stuff to like really just dunking s***, just catching it, hitting 15-footers. And then, yeah, he panned out being No. 6 overall so. O is like my little brother, man. I’m so proud of him.”

Ball was good friends with Okongwu’s older brother, Nnamdi, who also starred at Chino Hill but passed away after a freak skateboarding accident. His collegiate jersey number (21) is retired by the Hawks in honor of Dominque Wilkins.

Okongwu switched to No. 17 upon entering the NBA to honor his brother.

“O’s big brother … Nnamdi was actually a good friend of mine,” Ball said. “He passed away that year so it was a different whole different relationship when Big O came.”

@Wretch buckle up. This season is the start of why we picked him. We have seen flashes of him straight stopping Giannis on D, but it’s time for a new level.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Am I the only one who rolls their eyes everytime I see an "X"?  You just trashed so much brand value in Twitter my man.  Tweet was literally in the dictionary.  After seeing how the company's value has tanked, I'm sure Paypal isn't regretting that they wouldn't let you turn them into "X" years ago.

On OO, I always love watching highlight reels of his D.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Ranking the NBA's 22 Best Prospects 22 and Under

22. Onyeka Okongwu, C, Atlanta Hawks

1 OF 22

BROOKLYN, NY - MARCH 31: Onyeka Okongwu #17 of the Atlanta Hawks drives to the basket during the game against the Brooklyn Nets on March 31, 2023 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory Copyright Notice: Copyright 2023 NBAE (Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)
Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images

This is an aggressive ranking based on the career Okongwu has had to this point but a conservative one by where he could take his game moving forward. By Goldilocks logic, this feels like just the right place to put him.

Whenever Atlanta finds him a starting spot, he might immediately join the Defensive Player of the Year race. He is an elite shot-blocker (career 2.1 per 36 minutes) and mobile enough to blanket perimeter players on switches. On offense, he has mainly functioned as a finisher and glass-cleaner, but there are enough hints of ball-handling, vision and shooting touch to think he could eventually have a lot more in his bag.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089167-ranking-the-nbas-22-best-prospects-22-and-under

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1 OF 22

BROOKLYN, NY - MARCH 31: Onyeka Okongwu #17 of the Atlanta Hawks drives to the basket during the game against the Brooklyn Nets on March 31, 2023 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory Copyright Notice: Copyright 2023 NBAE (Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

This is an aggressive ranking based on the career Okongwu has had to this point but a conservative one by where he could take his game moving forward. By Goldilocks logic, this feels like just the right place to put him.

Whenever Atlanta finds him a starting spot, he might immediately join the Defensive Player of the Year race. He is an elite shot-blocker (career 2.1 per 36 minutes) and mobile enough to blanket perimeter players on switches. On offense, he has mainly functioned as a finisher and glass-cleaner, but there are enough hints of ball-handling, vision and shooting touch to think he could eventually have a lot more in his bag.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089167-ranking-the-nbas-22-best-prospects-22-and-under

He will surprise folks outside of Atlanta, not us, we know. 😊 

On 8/17/2023 at 10:38 PM, djjob23 said:

Impressive! It’s amazing to see this graph AND watch his offensive transformation this summer. If he puts all this together, he’s gonna be an absolute BEAST!!! :wild:

Anyone notice where JC was on this chart???   Why $25 million wasn't a great value.

image.thumb.png.8f3244b9813dc746f7e5c60890598380.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1 OF 22

Mobley, Chet, and Kessler being way ahead of him on this list is wild to me.  I think people are going to be really surprised by Okongwu when he starts getting heavier minutes and/or starts.

• Moderators
On 9/17/2023 at 8:21 AM, thecampster said:

Anyone notice where JC was on this chart???   Why $25 million wasn't a great value.

image.thumb.png.8f3244b9813dc746f7e5c60890598380.png

Curious if Siakam is on there.  I have trouble focusing on a lot of the faces here.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Curious if Siakam is on there.  I have trouble focusing on a lot of the faces here.

Siakam - Red Arrow but that doesn't surprise me.  He isn't in the post a ton and he isn't setting screens much. 

I'm assuming this chart is about stretch4/5 diversity.  Can you step out to help set screens, move, pop and still defend the post.  As you can see, neither player does much of that.  This is all about spacing and making the defense move their feet.  Both Siakam and JC are seen as hustle guys with Siakam being much better at guarding on the perimeter and getting in passing lanes + handling the ball on his way to the basket.

image.png.4c2a52d8fe6b378aceecb06a8ce7d9b9.png

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member

Onyeka Ogongwu interested in playing for the Philippines national team

i_92_52_f7_onyeka-okongwu.png?w=190

Naveen Ganglani: Atlanta Hawks big Onyeka Okongwu is “open” to joining the 🇵🇭/Gilas national team as a naturalized player, per sources. Okongwu grew up around a strong Filipino community in Chino Hills, California. He also trained with PBA star Alex Cabagnot & Fil-Am Nation. The Nigerian team is also interested to naturalize him but given their recent issues the PH has a leg up. As of the moment, Okongwu is focused on getting a big second contract in the NBA. He is extension-eligible up to the day before NBA opening day (10/24) for 5 years, $207M. He can be a restricted free agent next year. Okongwu averaged 9.9 points, 7.2 rebounds, 1.3 blocks, 64% FG, & 78% FT last NBA season.

– via Twitter

• Premium Member

NBA Intel: Contract Extension Predictions for 2020 NBA Draft Class

Onyeka Okongwu (No. 6 Pick from 2020)

5 OF 24

ATLANTA, GA - MARCH 26: Onyeka Okongwu #17 of the Atlanta Hawks reacts during the second half against the Memphis Grizzlies at State Farm Arena on March 26, 2023 in Atlanta, Georgia. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Todd Kirkland/Getty Images)
Todd Kirkland/Getty Images

Onyeka Okongwu seems vital to the Atlanta Hawks' rotation behind starting center Clint Capela. The team moved off John Collins' salary, which should clear some of the front-court logjam for Okongwu.

The Hawks have a lot already invested in players like Trae Young, Dejounte Murray, Bogdan Bogdanović, De'Andre Hunter and Capela. At the right price, the franchise could lock in Okongwu as well.

Averages (80 games, 18 starts): 23.1 minutes, 9.9 points, 7.2 rebounds, 1.0 assist

Closest comp: While their games are different, Okongwu plays a similar heavy-minute role off the bench to Kyle Kuzma (when with the Lakers through 2019-20). L.A. gave Kuzma an extension starting at $13 million (11.6 percent of the cap), which equates to $16.4 million for 2024-25.

Expectation: This one could happen before the deadline.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089386-nba-intel-contract-extension-predictions-for-2020-nba-draft-class