• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Okongwu & the Summer that Changed Everything

ShooterSays

They need to drill down more on him being shot ready on his jumpers. Other than that, I like what I see. If he is going to be a reliable outside shooter in the regular season, he needs to have a quicker catch and release.

Right now, he looks like a guy who can and should shoot only when he is left WIDE open. 

This is meant as props and constructive criticism only.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

They need to drill down more on him being shot ready on his jumpers. Other than that, I like what I see. If he is going to be a reliable outside shooter in the regular season, he needs to have a quicker catch and release.

Right now, he looks like a guy who can and should shoot only when he is left WIDE open. 

This is meant as props and constructive criticism only.

WIP - it's all about reps right now.  Then he has to make a transition to game speed.

OO has great footwork, would not mine seeing him develop from the post as well - similar to how JC takes advantage of post-up opportunities' vs smaller players with the quick turn and shoot over.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, shakes said:

release looks slow and he pushes it a bit at the top.  Gonna need to see it in a game before I join the praise patrol.

A center with a slow release? So what lol. Dude is 6'9'' pretty sure he is going to be able to get that shot off. Of course I agree watching him make shots in practice doesn't mean anything, but like I have said many times in the past the dude  despite some inconsistencies has shown a feathery touch from the stripe at times and THAT usually translates to jump shooting so there's reason to be hopeful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

A center with a slow release? So what lol. Dude is 6'10'' pretty sure he is going to be able to get that shot off. Of course I agree watching him make shots in practice doesn't mean anything, but like I have said many times in the past the dude  despite some inconsistencies he did show a feathery touch from the stripe at times and THAT usually translates to jump shooting so there's reason to be hopeful. 

All true.  And it's not like we are expecting him to take 6 3s a game.  I'm not even so concerned with 3point shooting - it's offensive versatility at different spots so he can play in varying lineups.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

All true.  And it's not like we are expecting him to take 6 3s a game.  I'm not even so concerned with 3point shooting - it's offensive versatility at different spots so he can play in varying lineups.

Exactly, if OO shoots threes they will likely be wide open ones coming off of ball movement anyway. We just need him to be able to make a corner three once a game and that would go a long way in opening up the floor for Murray and Trae. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Last season, Okongwu averaged 20.7 mpg with 8.2ppg (on 4.7 attempts), 5.9rpg, 1.3bpg, 1.1apg. 

What do you expect to see this season across the board in these categories?

OO is going to be ready for starter minutes. I think we see 28-30 mpg from him being the primary backup center and PF averaging 15-9 with 2+ bpg.

• Like 2