• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Okongwu & the Summer that Changed Everything

ShooterSays

The forgotten Hawk player:  Frank Kaminsky.  While everyone figures out where all the time on the floor is divvied up, where does he fit?  I know.  He has the reputation of always being injured.  We've been told, he's healthy now.  If this is true, he's going to get some of those minutes at PF.

🧑‍🔧 Building the right way!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 8/11/2022 at 11:23 AM, Spud2nique said:

We reap waaaayyyy more benefits with him at center. My hope is he pushes Cap so much we may be able to use Cap later on in a trade. 

A trade for WHAT??

This is the disconnect Spud.  IF Capela is playing really well because he's being "pushed" why would we trade him?  When he wasn't being pushed, he led the league in rebounds and was a defensive force.   SO if he is being pushed.  Playing well..and what 27-28.. why are we looking to trade him and what are we getting?

This is not Hakeem Olajuwon pushing Ralph Sampson.   So what gives?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

The forgotten Hawk player:  Frank Kaminsky.  While everyone figures out where all the time on the floor is divvied up, where does he fit?  I know.  He has the reputation of always being injured.  We've been told, he's healthy now.  If this is true, he's going to get some of those minutes at PF.

I think he has a definite role as our second big man with perimeter shooting.  (Hopefully OO gets there too.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

A trade for WHAT??

This is the disconnect Spud.  IF Capela is playing really well because he's being "pushed" why would we trade him?  When he wasn't being pushed, he led the league in rebounds and was a defensive force.   SO if he is being pushed.  Playing well..and what 27-28.. why are we looking to trade him and what are we getting?

This is not Hakeem Olajuwon pushing Ralph Sampson.   So what gives?

Well pushed to me isn’t Capela doing well, in fact it’s Cap being somewhat mediocre and OO being that much improved (or if he is improved we shall see). I’m not even talking about next summer when he has another year left. Even then I wouldn’t give him away by any means I would just restructure our roster based on the way it’s forming at that time.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

I did forget about him.  Depends on how we play Jalen and Okongwu, but Kaminsky could be the primary backup at PF.  
Our starters are set.  Bogi and Okongwu are the first guys off the bench.  The rest of the rotation is unclear to me.  Jalen could be the next guy off the bench or he could be in DNPCD land.  

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

How good or how bad will the bench of the Atlanta Hawks look against other NBA teams.  A lot may depend on how Nate uses the players that are available to him.  Will he allow our youth on the floor?  Or will he keep them on the pine and play the veterans that are available?  Lots of questions to be needing an answer.

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

How good or how bad will the bench of the Atlanta Hawks look against other NBA teams.  A lot may depend on how Nate uses the players that are available to him.  Will he allow our youth on the floor?  Or will he keep them on the pine and play the veterans that are available?  Lots of questions to be needing an answer.

Nate has to be creative with his lineups - stagger the starters with the youth instead of all bench lineups with older vets that aren't as good.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

whatever happens, I'm sure you'll be here all season championing the cause for the 13th and 14th man on the squad.   😄

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, shakes said:

whatever happens, I'm sure you'll be here all season championing the cause for the 13th and 14th man on the squad.   😄

My idea of a "team" is everyone on the roster being willing and able to produce.  

🧑‍🔧

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Love the bolded.

Until it all comes together, Okongwu will keep following the advice of the veterans who were on the team with him over the past two seasons.

“My philosophy is to keep the main thing, the main thing,” Okongwu said. “You know, I got to this point for a reason. I got drafted by this team for a reason. So, I definitely make sure I do what I do, but adding on something every year, every year, just add a little something.

“You know, my vets used to tell me my rookie year and last year, all right, like (Rajon) Rondo when he was here, Solomon (Hill), Lou (Williams), Bogey (Bogdan Bogdanovic), they were trying to teach me little things. Just add something new every year. Just show everybody that you’ve been working hard, trying to be a better player.”

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member
On 8/11/2022 at 10:41 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Last season, Okongwu averaged 20.7 mpg with 8.2ppg (on 4.7 attempts), 5.9rpg, 1.3bpg, 1.1apg. 

What do you expect to see this season across the board in these categories?

I didn't give mine:

26mpg, 14ppg(10 attempts per game), 9rpg (need real defensive rebounding improvement), 2bpg, 2apg, 2spg. Also would love to see him get closer to the 80% martk frombthe freethrow line.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:44 AM, macdaddy said:

25/12/8/1/1.   I love OO but the backcourt going to be looking to grab all the points

Having a PG that can really get him the ball in the right spots is going to be key. Would love to see he and Trae develop the kind of synergy that the Trae/CC pairing has developed. OO's touch around the rim is so silky smooth. 

Hopefully we see more of the Trae/JC/OO combination.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

If I heard Nate's interview correctly, I think he said the plan was for OO to play Summer League and run the offense thru him? But with JJs injury they changed it up???? Or maybe he was talking about JJ (the stream was HORRIBLE).

• Like 1

I really hope that this season's Hawk team is as good as I think that they are.  My hopes are very high.  We could go all the way!  

For as far back as I can remember we have heard, "The east has improved a lot this off season."  Has anyone not heard this again this summer?  

Everything that could go wrong, did.  That was our story last season and the year before and the year before.  Expect thigs to go wrong again.  Hopefully, the Atlanta Hawks are deep enough that they can still play great, winning basketball.

🧑‍🔧

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You don’t go from playing only in the lane to a 3-point shooter in one offseason. I wish people were more realistic about this.

Still very encouraging that he may be shooting in the midrange. I do not see him at the 4 much unless that is next to Kominsky. I CAN see him playing PF for defensive possession lineups.

OO still has huge upside and swing potential. Excited for him this year.

• Like 1