• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Okongwu & the Summer that Changed Everything

ShooterSays

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Clearly this is focused only on offense but it also seems to assume he is playing with a center who isn't strong on the perimeter.  I agree with this list if you are talking about what he needs to do to play PF alongside CC.  If you are talking about him playing alongside someone like Brook Lopez that means he actually doesn't need any of this development.  (Not that the coaches won't be pushing him to develop or that he won't be better for it.  He will be expanding all these things under Quin regardless of whether he will play primarily the 4 or the 5 on offense.)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is crazy as far as his stats. Peep this.

Offensive rating.. effectively field goal %, True shooting % and 2 point field goal %

OO leads the franchise in 4 different categories and he hasn’t really even begun his reign.  

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/leaders_career.html

Never been this excited about a player in a while.

image.gif.187442cc20be4594d834ef2d8df60317.gifIMG_9082.jpeg.6de77d6d5389f8ad27dd5b37ed995190.jpeg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m so excited!!!! My boy breakout season is coming! 🥳 He’s gonna be swatting folks left n right emphatically no less. 

A lot of fans are going to be shocked when he starts taking and making three point shots.  

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, KB21 said:

A lot of fans are going to be shocked when he starts taking and making three point shots.  

Ya we already saw that developing last year and it’s been in the plans for him with Quin. Squawkers shouldn’t be shocked. Outside fans will be for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Have we heard any updates on extensions? These potential extension predictions for OO and Bey in this article look to be spot on value-wise if OO’s outside shooting and Bey’s defense improve without losing production in other areas.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/platform/amp/2023/8/3/23817865/what-rookie-extensions-onyeka-okongwu-saddiq-bey-prediction-stats-analysis-atlanta-hawks

Side note, I think we need to move forward with players that are team-first and passionate about the game (like DJM). Money focused players aren’t motivated after they get their bag and only play during an expiring/extension season. Most of the time they aren’t winners and we need to put winning first!

• Premium Member
On 8/1/2023 at 9:27 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

What about among rotational centers.

His rebounding is not 90th percentile among centers. 

Why are we so quick to put up these fake stats?

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, Diesel said:

What about among rotational centers.

His rebounding is not 90th percentile among centers. 

Why are we so quick to put up these fake stats?

Then you post the stats you want to see.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Wretch said:

I like OO but to the receipt keepers like this Twitter poster...this is precisely why you dangle a young player. 🤷🏾‍♂️

I'm not following this.  Why is this precisely why you dangle a young player?  I guess I am not seeing anything from that twitter post that would make you want to move OO more than you'd want to keep him.  (I.e., positive things like that are both why you want to keep a young player as well as why other teams would want to trade for him.)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AHF said:

I'm not following this.  Why is this precisely why you dangle a young player?  I guess I am not seeing anything from that twitter post that would make you want to move OO more than you'd want to keep him.  (I.e., positive things like that are both why you want to keep a young player as well as why other teams would want to trade for him.)

I think he's saying all these positive signs are why you sell high?  I dunno.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, AHF said:

It's interesting how we as fans tend to always default to polarized groups.  It's either you like player or you don't.  You think he's a terrible shooter or you don't.  In the case of making moves, this case, it's either you want to trade a player or you don't.

If it's unclear, when I say dangle I don't mean trade him. @kg01 is more or less correct in his assumption that I'm saying sell high.  That doesn't mean "trade him now!" (even though I've said those exact words lol). More than it means make the sale, it means I'd put him up for sale while his stock is high.  Which I'm sure he currently is, whether publicly or not, and I'm sure that price is indeed high.  If there were negative indicators to want to move OO, his stock would be lower and we wouldn't be able to move him.  Much like Collins.  

Where I'm more concerned though, as usual, is with the "expiration date" on player potential.  There are people who would hold onto him at all costs, and I don't know that I feel that way about anybody on this roster not named Trae.  That's how "receipt keepers" sound with any given trade scenario or even the mere mentioning of availability.

"Remember when you wanted to trade Okongwu!? Huh!  Here's the receipt."
"No, I was unsure about his peak value...but his value back then was high.  I wonder what we value we could have brought back for him."

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wretch said:

It's interesting how we as fans tend to always default to polarized groups.  It's either you like player or you don't.  You think he's a terrible shooter or you don't.  In the case of making moves, this case, it's either you want to trade a player or you don't.

If it's unclear, when I say dangle I don't mean trade him. @kg01 is more or less correct in his assumption that I'm saying sell high.  That doesn't mean "trade him now!" (even though I've said those exact words lol). More than it means make the sale, it means I'd put him up for sale while his stock is high.  Which I'm sure he currently is, whether publicly or not, and I'm sure that price is indeed high.  If there were negative indicators to want to move OO, his stock would be lower and we wouldn't be able to move him.  Much like Collins.  

Where I'm more concerned though, as usual, is with the "expiration date" on player potential.  There are people who would hold onto him at all costs, and I don't know that I feel that way about anybody on this roster not named Trae.  That's how "receipt keepers" sound with any given trade scenario or even the mere mentioning of availability.

"Remember when you wanted to trade Okongwu!? Huh!  Here's the receipt."
"No, I was unsure about his peak value...but his value back then was high.  I wonder what we value we could have brought back for him."

While I am always willing to listen to interest in any player, I would not be so eager to deal OO as you.  I don’t think there is superstar potential there but I think his value should continue to rise in the near term.  He has the tooos to be a standout defender in the modern game and his offense shows signs of expanding out to include better floor spacing.  That is a m quite valuable combination even without massive improvements outside of that.  It is also a blend of skills that isn’t easy to find.  So while I would listen and always want to “sell high” in a trade (ie win the trade) I would be reluctant to”dangle” him (which to me means actively trying to sell him for whatever best offer the market will support).