• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk headed to an Advisory Role

Jody23

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, AHF said:

I was taking about the outright selling of a pick - not the drop back for cash.  That didn’t bother me.

We outright sold the 41 and 43 picks in the 2019 draft.  41 was Eric Paschall.  44 was Bol Bol.  Both have significantly higher ws/48 and per ratings than Hunter (among other metrics).  I’d rather have Hunter than either but why choose when we could have had all of them?

First, you're talking to a choir member where Bol is concerned.

Second, my understanding from looking it up is that we received cash and 2024 2nd round picks for both #41 and #44, though I didn't do the deep dive to see if those 2024 picks are actually legitimate (... quite possibly not).

But third and most relevant and compelling to your bothered-ness....

If you go back and look the explanation at the time, Schlenk wasn't eager to bring 6 rookies to training camp... and I have to agree that that's a lot. After all the dust settled, of course, he ended up with 3. I believe the point he would make looking back on it is that it's a waste to use those 2nd round picks at all when you have reason to believe they'll only end up being training camp cuts--and you get nothing out of it after all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jody23 said:

Didn't Ressler sell some second round picks for cash?

Yes, i'm looking at these moves and seeing how Fields is set up to fail. Ressler's penny-pinching and mishandling of this organization will be the reason why Trae leaves. Doomed before they even got a chance. So depressing to end up with a meddling owner.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I've resigned myself to expect CC and JC to Phoenix for Crowder and Ayton. 

Now that the Sale has gone through, there will be some restructuring of things that just don't look good.  Ayton and Crowder just are malcontents in Phoenix and they will unload them.   Our offer is this but there are other offers that I'm sure they would have to consider. 

I think Fields wants "That guy" to be able to point to and say, this is what I brought to Atlanta. 

Schlenk had JC, CC, Hunter, OO, and Trae. 

Fields is not attached to any of them so I can see him moving two of them for Ayton. 

• Premium Member

This was from Amick's pod after the Trae/Nate 'misunderstanding,

I think it’s well past the front office. Part of it is ownership; Tony Ressler owns that team. Nick Ressler, his son, has a lot of power and is very closely tied in with Trae. Perception-wise, there are some folks who feel like that’s part of the reason that Trae feels as empowered as he does. If you’re operating above your “superiors” and going straight to the ownership side, you’re gonna move a little bit differently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This was from Amick's pod after the Trae/Nate 'misunderstanding,

This...

Just talking about this.  IF Nick does have the power then the team will be made in Trae's image.  I'm not mad at that as long as it's made correctly and Trae's accountability is to see it through.   You can't bitch and complain and leave if we've built this for you. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

This...

Just talking about this.  IF Nick does have the power then the team will be made in Trae's image.  I'm not mad at that as long as it's made correctly and Trae's accountability is to see it through.   You can't bitch and complain and leave if we've built this for you. 

Trae is definitely our best player but he needs to be mature and not a diva.  The best player needs to be the hardest worker…on both ends of the court.  Accountability is much easier when you live it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

I was watching an interview with Deion Sanders.   It's sad.  He never wanted to leave Atlanta.   We just never made an offer when he became a free agent.   It's heartbreaking.  Nique never wanted to leave Atlanta.  I listened to him talk about it a few games back... with hurt in his voice.  For some reason, we don't know how to keep our stars.   As a city, we have to learn to appreciate our star players and Trae is on a Deion Sanders level.

Braves or Falcons??

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Diesel said:

The one thing I see is Nick Ressler.  With Travis stepping aside, it may give Nick more say/power.    Nick seems like one who would allow this team to be built like Trae wants it to be built.  The big fight may have been over Nate's job.   It could have been that Travis didn't want to move Nate because that's exactly what Trae wanted.   Ala Magic Johnson and Paul Westhead.  My thing is if this is what Trae wants, before we do it, we need more assurances that he will be a Hawks for life or nearly for life.   We can't build a team in your imagine and then have you ask out. 

I was watching an interview with Deion Sanders.   It's sad.  He never wanted to leave Atlanta.   We just never made an offer when he became a free agent.   It's heartbreaking.  Nique never wanted to leave Atlanta.  I listened to him talk about it a few games back... with hurt in his voice.  For some reason, we don't know how to keep our stars.   As a city, we have to learn to appreciate our star players and Trae is on a Deion Sanders level. 

I think both of those guys are from different sports eras - Sanders being from a different sport altogether.  In today's NBA, there's no expectation of loyalty from either side or the "fans."  Everybody just wants to see 1 or 2 superteams stomping everyone else.  Unless a team is really winning, agents are working the back channels, players are demanding trades, and owners are shuffling the deck.  If we want to keep Trae then we have to build this team right.  Simple as that really. 

That being said, start with Nate.  It's time.  He's a good coach, but he is not the right fit for this team.  Moreover, our star doesn't want to play for him.  We're making the same mistakes, following the same robotic patterns, and not making any progress in the standings.  We have A LOT of talent, but we are MID in almost every indicator possible.  It's clear that we need a change and better to do it now and get a system in place for the playoffs.  We're getting by on talent, so I don't think we could get any worse.

- Side note, I have seen some interesting interactions and comments from Trae's dad this season.  I believe the reports are true that he is lobbying for a coaching change.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, Jody23 said:

I'm sure things aren't comepletely peachy in Atlanta, but I wouldn't buy too much into that hit piece.  Trae is a superstar player who they would love to get out of Atlanta and into a "bigger" market, not some guy who it's impossible to win with.  That article had agenda written all over it.

Right on cue.  I'm telling you, they want to screw the Hawks over by getting Trae out of Atlanta and into one of their preferred markets.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Right on cue.  I'm telling you, they want to screw the Hawks over by getting Trae out of Atlanta and into one of their preferred markets.

Kinda begs the question why are we watching this team if we are a dev team for other markets.  I don't think ATL market is as small as some think it is, but do your own research on that.    

But if trae wants some team built around him and the owner won't or can't do it , then yes what is the point