• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk headed to an Advisory Role

Jody23

• Premium Member

This is CRAZY. 

Front Office

Over the past weeks, Atlanta has lost its team president, senior adviser, director of pro scouting, and vice president of player personnel. You read that correctly; Atlanta does not have a director of pro scouting in the middle of an NBA season. 

Perhaps a scout could have helped craft a game plan for the ascendant play of Los Angeles' journeymen Dennis Schröder and Thomas Bryant. Or maybe develop a scheme to contain James, who was without several key teammates last night.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Maybe we really are tanking the rest of the season.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many critical office moves during the middle of the regular season in any pro sport.

this one definitely has me lost! There’s no need to really keep Mcmillian in place either. Mind as well release him too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JTB said:

Maybe we really are tanking the rest of the season.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many critical office moves during the middle of the regular season in any pro sport.

this one definitely has me lost! There’s no need to really keep Mcmillian in place either. Mind as well release him too. 

They know the chorus of condemnation and criticism will be deafening if they fire Nate midseason. Therefore they will wait until the year is over.

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is CRAZY. 

Front Office

Over the past weeks, Atlanta has lost its team president, senior adviser, director of pro scouting, and vice president of player personnel. You read that correctly; Atlanta does not have a director of pro scouting in the middle of an NBA season. 

Perhaps a scout could have helped craft a game plan for the ascendant play of Los Angeles' journeymen Dennis Schröder and Thomas Bryant. Or maybe develop a scheme to contain James, who was without several key teammates last night.

This sounds like the kid is making hasty decisions with papa approving it. I honestly think he would fire Nate if the backlash didn't come from him when people realize it's not Nate.

You gotta be realistic. This team always had a lower floor. It wasn't this obvious win now team. 

31 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I've never seen so many FO people leave. It almost sounds like some of them didn't agree with an owner's son, a first time GM and a player being given so much power and an owner too cheap to pay the luxury tax and yet somehow expect a team to contend. Random thoughts indeed.

Too much delusion. Tony starting to sound like a Hawksquawk poster where all sense goes out the window. 

Firing this many people mid-season makes no sense. 

I actually liked most of our recent drafts. 

Trae, Kev, and Omari was a good draft. Omari flopped but it's a spot where flops are common

Hunter, Cam, and Bruno was disappointing from a projected potential stance but Hunter is a starting big wing and those are hard to find, Bruno and Cam are showing their worth for better or worse. 

Okongwu was the best pick at that spot outside of Haliburton who told Atlanta and only Atlanta not to draft him at ALL. 

You can make a case that JJ was the best pick on the board. Grimes is the only one producing and he's an older prospect. 

Griffin was the best player on the board. I am confused, where did we mess up outside of Luka in terms of scouting/drafting?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Too much delusion. Tony starting to sound like a Hawksquawk poster where all sense goes out the window. 

Firing this many people mid-season makes no sense. 

I actually liked most of our recent drafts. 

Trae, Kev, and Omari was a good draft. Omari flopped but it's a spot where flops are common

Hunter, Cam, and Bruno was disappointing from a projected potential stance but Hunter is a starting big wing and those are hard to find, Bruno and Cam are showing their worth for better or worse. 

Okongwu was the best pick at that spot outside of Haliburton who told Atlanta and only Atlanta not to draft him at ALL. 

You can make a case that JJ was the best pick on the board. Grimes is the only one producing and he's an older prospect. 

Griffin was the best player on the board. I am confused, where did we mess up outside of Luka in terms of scouting/drafting?

trust me, I'm a fan of Travis. He did a very good job here. Him being forced out because the owner's son thinks he is Tony Kahn of AEW/Jaguars is just pathetic IMO.

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

trust me, I'm a fan of Travis. He did a very good job here. Him being forced out because the owner's son thinks he is Tony Kahn of AEW/Jaguars is just pathetic IMO.

Why the heck can’t we keep a veteran GM and hire a young coach, like Utah, despite Danny being a deadbeat. I like the Jazz’s coach. That dude knows his stuff.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Are you sure it's the owners son because I have no contacts in the Hawks org and my NBA guy has no clue what's going on here from how the team is being run 

20 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Why the heck can’t we keep a veteran GM and hire a young coach, like Utah, despite Danny being a deadbeat. I like the Jazz’s coach. That dude knows his stuff.

He's running a system, that won't work with our personnel.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

He's running a system, that won't work with our personnel.

So is Nate but Nate is too stubborn to adapt so we are ending up running a system that not only doesn’t work for our personnel but ends up as a system that doesn’t work for this era.

The real question about any new hire is are they smart enough and versatile enough to tailor the system to our personnel.

The biggest challenge to hiring someone good like that is with our front office/ownership not our personnel.  Larry Brown happily came in to coach AI despite all the challenges that come with that.  I don’t think there is any way someone of his caliber will join an organization whose management is in absolute chaos like we appear to be right now.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

honestly think he would fire Nate if the backlash didn't come from him when people realize it's not Nate.

Nate is a big part of what we see on the floor in terms of playing style. There is no getting around that.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Nate is a big part of what we see on the floor in terms of playing style. There is no getting around that.

Ya'll really think this is a scheme issue when this is a fit and depth issue. You can fix coaching but you can't fix fit if you have depth issues. 

I don't see a coaching issue. Not with what our personnel has available. We don't have Steph Curry and wasting him using him like Trae Young as Mark Jackson did. We are using Trae correctly. We aren't using JC, Hunter, Murray correctly but how do you use them correctly when you have Trae and Capela who have clear defiencies that play a part in their offensive roles. 

Bogi helped us with spacing but our defense instantly became a liability as it was last year with him and Kevin. Add the fact that we have so many big salaries and we are topped out.

Edited by NBASupes