• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is it me or has this been Trae's best defensive effort since being in the league?

Wurider05

33 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Tre is 33 in the league in both Steals and Steals per game. 

So much for WOAT.

Those people that said that didn’t show up tonight cuz the Hawks won. They like to kick us while we are down. Worst defensive player GTFO HUUURRR. Where dey at tonight?

While the Hawks’ defensive rating hasn’t been anything pretty since Quin took over (121.5 is abysmal) it is very encouraging that Trae is virtually in line with the team at 121.9.  Historically he’s always been about 3 or 4 points below.  Quin is getting hands, feet, and physicality outta him that I simply thought was impossible.

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

It has been pretty apparent going back even to last season that a lot of criticism about Trae's defense was overblown.

He is finally stringing together some highlight worthy plays that stand out enough for folks to talk about his improvement on that end.

His size will always be an issue, but defense is also about awareness, anticipation, effort and trust. Those are skills that develop naturally over time as a player matures and increases his BBIQ. We saw it with JC, we are seeing it with Trae and Jalen.

When you choose to rebuild around young players, you have to have patience as they develop raw talent in to winning skillsets. I wish it would happen overnight but that is not how it works. People forget even Kobe was trash on defense in his early years. 

It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Trae has the quickness and speed that if he can understand how teams want to attack him, he can be disruptive. His issue has been letting them switch on him and trying to muscle up to bigger guys. No, use your speed and small size and get around those screens, stay in the play even from behind and make the ball carrier feel you and be uncomfortable. Jump passing lanes when they present themselves.

Trae is smart. That lightbulb is coming on for him and its developing in to good basketball.

I’ve always thought he’s actually a pretty heady positional team defender.  That’s in part how Damian Lilliard puts up insanely overblown advanced defensive stats.

Trae doesn’t take egregious missteps toward the wrong target and he’s usually facing proper angles.  There are certainly guys who try to do too much on defense and get their teams burnt.  I love Talen Horton Tucker, prime example lol.

It’s crazy Nate being a defensive whiz guard himself couldn’t get Trae to see the difference his effort makes to the team. Quin has shown him how to play bigger in space and use his small size advantage in tighter spaces.  It’s a simple premise; don’t be afraid to get up into somebody or foul, and pressure that damn ball.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Historically he’s always been about 3 or 4 points below.....

It's all right, benhillo.  You're usually about 3 or 4 points below the discussions here but we still keep you around. Hehe

Cmon, laugh.  It was funny. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

While the Hawks’ defensive rating hasn’t been anything pretty since Quin took over (121.5 is abysmal) it is very encouraging that Trae is virtually in line with the team at 121.9.  Historically he’s always been about 3 or 4 points below.  Quin is getting hands, feet, and physicality outta him that I simply thought was impossible.

Im trying to stay patient with the defense right now as the philosophy from the outside seems to be starkly different than before and there are a lot of blown assignments as a result.

Nate had us relying heavily on over helping after guys were beat, with us collapsing the paint and wings digging down while leaving their man open.

Quin doesn't want the over-helping and has Trae more engaged t hold his own, but we have been caught in no man's land on a lot of plays with wide open rim runs when guys don't know if they should stay home or not, or wide open shooters when we fall back on old habits.

There are definitely a lot more obvious lapses on the defensive end than before despite the improved effort.

• 9 months later...
48 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The great thing about this play is that Trae recognizes that Cole Anthony only had 5 seconds to do something with the ball.  So he comes off of his man and blitz Anthony, which took him completely by surprise.

Perfect technique with him sliding his feet to the left.  Then he tracked Cole all the way going back to the right to get the block before he got to the top of his jump.

That was an Alex Caruso type of play that he made here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The great thing about this play is that Trae recognizes that Cole Anthony only had 5 seconds to do something with the ball.  So he comes off of his man and blitz Anthony, which took him completely by surprise.

Perfect technique with him sliding his feet to the left.  Then he tracked Cole all the way going back to the right to get the block before he got to the top of his jump.

That was an Alex Caruso type of play that he made here.

If Trae becomes a defensive playmaker it’s game over. Next improvement will be turnovers.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

He isn't a great defender but it is wonderful to see how improved he is this season.  The charges tell the biggest story even more than the steals.  Fantastic stuff.

• Like 3

On 1/29/2024 at 6:14 PM, AHF said:

He isn't a great defender but it is wonderful to see how improved he is this season.  The charges tell the biggest story even more than the steals.  Fantastic stuff.

I never thought I’d see the day when he’s tied for 6th league-wide in offensive fouls drawn.  He’s tied with some bona fide stoppers in Okogie and Suggs.  We might be what, 2 games worse without him stepping up tremendously in that area.  I always said his quickness can pay some real dividends on that end, but now he’s meshing it with scouting by anticipating guys’ moves and some toughness.

Brunson leading the league at 54 offensives drawn, over double Traes!  That’s crazy, that kid is on automatic.

Trae leading the league in points generated from assists by 30 over Hali.  I think Trae throws an errant pass to an open three point shooter maybe once or twice a season.  All the rest of them sh*ts be on a needle head.

On the not so good front, 16 more bad pass turnovers than Luka for the league lead.  Most of ‘em broken up lobs for sure.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

On the not so good front, 16 more bad pass turnovers than Luka for the league lead.  Most of ‘em broken up lobs for sure.

Part of this is Trae being slightly too aggressive with "home run" assists and part of it is our centers struggle to catch passes.  This is Trae's best year by far though imo.  I think he has learned and executed on Quin's style significantly faster than anyone else on our team, offense and defense.

• Like 4

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Part of this is Trae being slightly too aggressive with "home run" assists and part of it is our centers struggle to catch passes.  This is Trae's best year by far though imo.  I think he has learned and executed on Quin's style significantly faster than anyone else on our team, offense and defense.

I agree and it shows one thing about him that no one ever talks about.   He has a really great understanding of the game.  Folks will question his shots but in general he is making a lot of great plays and reads all game long.  

• Like 3