• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

Just now, MarylandHawk said:

I gotta say I had them pegged all along if their roster was healthy. Love the way they play and once I saw the Joker locked in, I was convinced. Murray is the real deal. 

Someone told me Murray isn’t worth his contract when I proposed targeting him for a trade some time ago. 
I’d say I feel a little more vindicated in my suggestion. 

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

I get all that.  But heres a couple thoughts..

1. Folks bill MIA as a player destination, but it's a largely unearned reputation.   What's reality is that MIA is used as leverage.  Everybody goes, "Uh oh, so and so has Miami on his list.  Pat Riley always gets 'em."  But that's just not the case.  KD has had mia on his list like 5 times, met with em and everything but never goes there.  Long story long, I put little stick in Beal or Lillard claiming they want to get to Miami. 

2. It should be noted that WAS simply sitting Beal on the shelf also helps their tank.  That is likely a better option than bending over and accepting a paltry MIA deal.  Considering his age, Beal can't afford to lose a year off his prime.  Thus it appears Beal has a lot of leverage but he doesn't have all the leverage. 

Yeah the heat/ Pat just pop/ leak sh*t a lot of the time knowing the NBA media isn’t the sharpest.  Beal, KD, Lilliard, neither could pass a rigorous heat physical nor a Mourning interview.  They’re all probably contractually absolved from setting a solid screen or backcourt pressing.

If they actually sign one of these cats I’ll eat crow and y’all will never hear about my closet fandom again. Uncross your fingers right now @kg01.

Edited by benhillboy

5 hours ago, sturt said:

It's a factor in the assessment for any given trade is what I mean. And to illustrate the point, I envisioned making a trade that is 100% even... both sides getting equivalent overall talent at the same position... that, I said, is a net negative because you've set yourself back for x-number of games in which the new guy will be getting acclimated, when you could have eliminated that setback by not making the deal at all.

That, then, suggests that when you contemplate the trade, it's not good enough to say "well, it's a 50/50 proposition whether we're any better overall, but why not?" That's why not. If it's 50/50, we're setting ourselves up for added difficulty in winning some unknown number of games.

Intelligent minds can differ, but me, I'd put the round number at 66/34 proposition--that the preponderance of the evidence supports that we'll be better off overall by that margin--before I pull the lever on a given trade.

So, can we "afford" a given trade? Is a given trade worth it? We can and it is... to the extent that we have reason for confidence that it will be a net positive... and specific to our roster at this juncture, a "net positive" for 23-24. No more KVon deals where a positive benefit doesn't even arise until later.

To me, it's different because I think our roster is not fitting together.  There's not enough perimeter defense.  There's not enough shooting in the starting lineup.  Guys on the bench could be starters, ie Okongwu.  An adjustment could bring balance.  

Also, we have a coach that might want to bring in specific players to fit his philosophy.  So in theory a trade should be 50/50, but it rarely works out that way.  In our case I'm much less worried about a short term adjustment period than fit issues that haven't worked themselves out.  

I'm leaving it up to Quin and the FO to sort out what adjustments should be made, but I really think they are gonna change some things.  Specifically expecting a different starting five at the beginning of next season.  Would place a bet on that one.  

Regarding Saddiq Bey, he only played 25 games and lead our team in +/- during that time.  Is immediate impact his first game, first ten games, first 15?  That is nuance to me.  Point is we felt his impact positively very soon after we acquired him.  I'll let you determine for yourself if that means immediate, quickly, soon, or if some other word applies.  

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I’m shocked at his decision! Mainly because of his very real injury history and the fact that he just had a career year this past season.

since this is the case and with us being familiar with schlenk, I’m sure Porzingis is being made available in a sign and trade deal.

this may make Porzingis more attractive on the market because of his injury history as well. 

we know he’s talented as heck when healthy…is he worth a 1 year rental ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JTB said:

This is not from me I’m just repeating what I am seeing on other hawks media that I follow.

apparently on ESPN they stated that Zion said he wants to play with Trae & the hawks.

I didn’t hear it myself as I rarely watch ESPN these days but if that’s a true …it’s very interesting.

wonder if any of our insiders can confirm this rumor 👀

Can anyone confirm if they heard this rumor of Zion wanting to play with Trae & hawks is legit?

@Sothron @NBASupes @thecampster

i keep seeing that people saw it on ESPN but I can’t find the video or anything after hours of searching and I’m not sure what analysts said it. 

I know a lot of bogus rumors will be put out there and some will actually have legs. Where does this one stand if you guys can share?

• Premium Member

I can't (confirm). At least, not that.

What I can confirm is that nothing that camp told us last time he provided some insight would seem to align with Quin wanting to go get Zion.

2023-06-14_21-58-30.png

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Neither. 

I know, I know... fer whatever reason, you're opposed. But so it's easier to get through the grief stages if a trade were to occur, study camp's insight above, and tell me that those are not exactly the kinds of players that are both (a) plausibly available and (b) fit the mold of what the HC wants to see.

I loved Zion more than any prospect that we had a “legit” shot at since 07 and KD from the Longhorns. 

We got the 8th pick. No chance at Zion.

He walked by and kissed our logo.

Since then, disappointment, major disappointment.

114/318 games played for Zion. 2nd and 4th year he was an all star ⭐️. When he plays, he’s great. He doesn’t play often, he doesn’t take his conditioning seriously, and I’m worried about the demeanor he brings and how it might rub off on Trae. At the same time, if he gets his $hit together, he’s amazing.

What if he comes here and turns it around. Not gonna lie, still kind of fascinated with dude but I’m thinking ALL ON COURT. His off court scares/worries me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sturt said:

I know, I know... fer whatever reason, you're opposed. But so it's easier to get through the grief stages if a trade were to occur, study camp's insight above, and tell me that those are not exactly the kinds of players that are both (a) plausibly available and (b) fit the mold of what the HC wants to see.

We're better off standing pat, Pat. I'm not giving up assets for the right to basically immediately overpay either of these never-been's. 

8 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

What if he comes here and turns it around. Not gonna lie, still kind of fascinated with dude but I’m thinking ALL ON COURT. His off court scares/worries me.

Anything's possible.  See, I can be positive. 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

They got to get their picks right to make this believable. 

Not sure what you mean by this.  Dallas has the #10 and we have the #15, correct?  Color me skeptical given how garbage Bertans has been and the fact that he will be making $17M next year.  This saves us money but not THAT much.  It is hard to think we'd give up a starter for a guy playing 10.9 mpg last year to save a few dollars and move up 5 spots.

• Like 2