• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Zion's per 36 is excellent. Tremendous in fact. But you'll probably never get a full season.

lies.  Zion hasn't had a 36" waist since 6th grade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, shakes said:

lies.  Zion hasn't had a 36" waist since 6th grade.

He is talking per 36.  So production for every 36 inches.  Just imagine how good he'll be when he hits 72!

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

He is talking per 36.  So production for every 36 inches.  Just imagine how good he'll be when he hits 72!

when he hits 72"?  You really think he's gonna lose that much weight?

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, shakes said:

We lost Prunty 😭   NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I am happy for Prunty.  He seemed like a very professional guy.  I'm happy for AGSr. too.  If they see us in the playoffs though, they should know to bow down.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wretch said:

.... Baker and Kemp had substance abuse problems (key the jokes about food being a substance @kg01 lol) ....

I mean, what else is there for me to say after this.  Welllll, I'd also add that Zion is actually in shape.  Ya know .. 'cause round is a shape.  Hyuk, hyuk. ..

Seriously though, I'm one that had pre-draft concerns and I do feel vindicated.  But I'd add though that my issue was that his weight and game, even at peak readiness, were not conducive to a long career.  The physics just dont add up.

The fact that he doubled down and decided to eat new orleans (pause for effect, in light of recent controversy), is just icing on the poundcake. 

• Haha 4

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I'll say this about Zion...and then I'll let ya'll continue to talk about how fat, unmotivated, and injury prone he is. lol

So, I'm just as concerned about his physical health and long-term durability as anyone.  I personally don't think there's anything wrong with this mental health or motivation.  I wouldn't compare him to guys like Vin Baker, Shawn Kemp, or Derrick Coleman.  Baker and Kemp had substance abuse problems (key the jokes about food being a substance @kg01 lol) and personal baggage weighing them down. 

Zion's problems are just that he's big and young (immature). I think people are running wild with this weight thing like a "toldjaso" and also want to be right about their about pre-draft analysis.  They weren't (and still aren't) impressed with his game and are eager for validation.  They want to declare him a bust and in typical fashion, are ready to do so as soon as possible.  I'm not there.  I liked Zion before the draft and I like him now. 

I will say this though...

The overly analytical part of my brain has me thinking there's more to this story than what we're seeing on the outside.  Specifically, I'm wondering if the reports that people close to him want him out of New Orleans are/were a big deal and he wants out of New Orleans but doesn't want the bad press that comes with it.  If he did, using the loud and popular narrative about his weight/health/maturity would be the perfect smoke screen to drive a trade.

I don't know if he's damaged goods, but I do think it's too early to declare it.  Hypothetically speaking...  IF he can keep the weight under control and IF they put him on the market, I think a trade is worth exploring...but I'm not putting him on my "radar" just yet.

I don't have concerns about his game.  When he plays and is motivated, he is a force on the court.  If he gets in shape and plays 70 games a season, he will be an annual All-Star and likely All-NBA player.

But to say that you don't think there's anything wrong with his mental health or motivation is crazy to me.  What other than motivation is the problem with him being in a normal range of physical fitness (which he clearly isn't)?  Even rehabbing gives you plenty of opportunity to adjust activity and your diet to your activity under the careful eye of your doctor and Pelican training staff but that clearly hasn't been happening.  What has he done to show he is the slightest bit motivated?  I am scared to death about his motivation.  Don't know if there is a mental health concern ala Ben Simmons but I sure can't rule that out either.

Remember, it was widely reported that he was "physically healthy but not mentally ready to return" in April this year.  A healthy Zion would have been a big help to the Pelicans even if he was out of shape but he chose not to play.  That is really scary and is all about what is happening between his ears.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I think people are running wild with this weight thing like a "toldjaso" and also want to be right about their about pre-draft analysis.  They weren't (and still aren't) impressed with his game and are eager for validation.  They want to declare him a bust and in typical fashion, are ready to do so as soon as possible.  I'm not there.  I liked Zion before the draft and I like him now. 

I don't know a single person or website that was down on Zion pre-draft.

*except KG apparently

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Zion and Luka should team up together

at the Golden Corral buffet.

Sorry, couldn’t help it. 

Can you imagine Betsy tryna lock the doors when she sees them approaching.

"Zeek, put s'more sausage on tha griddle.  They back!" 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Can you imagine Betsy tryna lock the doors when she sees them approaching.

"Zeek, put s'more sausage on tha griddle.  They back!" 

what if they also signed our old pal Spellman?

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

We’re looking to Move Murray???

“The Hawks are facing a more immediate problem under the new CBA, with a payroll projected to be $172 million and $16.4 million in luxury taxes (more if players hit various incentives). The team is believed to be looking for a home for John Collins, but some whispers abound that Dejounte Murray could be had in the right deal.

Murray is due $18.2 million this season but may not be open to an extension limited to a $25.4 million starting salary. Unless Atlanta can shed significant salary elsewhere, they may not be able to afford Murray at his current price, let alone on a new deal in his likely asking range above $30 million”.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Once again national media looking to throw out scenarios where the hawks get fleeced.

whatever it takes to make their beloved lakers, clippers, Knicks, heat, bulls, Celtics, Sixers, Mavs, suns, and nets look great in trades.

also from the article……….

“Do the Hawks turn down No. 4 and other player/draft pieces from Houston for Murray?”

if Scoot somehow fell to 4 I’d trade anybody/everybody on this roster to get him in Atlanta!

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't have concerns about his game.  When he plays and is motivated, he is a force on the court.  If he gets in shape and plays 70 games a season, he will be an annual All-Star and likely All-NBA player.

But to say that you don't think there's anything wrong with his mental health or motivation is crazy to me.  What other than motivation is the problem with him being in a normal range of physical fitness (which he clearly isn't)?  Even rehabbing gives you plenty of opportunity to adjust activity and your diet to your activity under the careful eye of your doctor and Pelican training staff but that clearly hasn't been happening.  What has he done to show he is the slightest bit motivated?  I am scared to death about his motivation.  Don't know if there is a mental health concern ala Ben Simmons but I sure can't rule that out either.

Remember, it was widely reported that he was "physically healthy but not mentally ready to return" in April this year.  A healthy Zion would have been a big help to the Pelicans even if he was out of shape but he chose not to play.  That is really scary and is all about what is happening between his ears.

Well...I knew you were coming AHF. lol

So in the subjective, "neither here nor there" world that my imagination runs wild in, I'm suggesting that it's mostly just an act and I'm keeping an eye on how rumors develop around him.  Not enough to seriously put him on my radar though.

A more down to earth answer is that I believe he's just young and immature.  He never struck me as having the red flags that typical problem child or diva types have.  Hell, he's not even in the same hemisphere with Trae where it comes to attitude/chip on this shoulder. 

I think Zion's just a sensitive kid who has responded poorly to criticism of his body.  I mean, he is really young and I none of us "old heads" need to be reminded of the sensitivity of this generation.  In Zion's case, the world has utterly dragged him over his weight.  Maybe something as simple as a change of scenery (new team, coach, environment, and change in franchise expectations) would "turn it around" for him?

Either way, I'm not buying a ticket to the Zion bust train just yet.  Just speaking for the record.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

In Zion's case, the world has utterly dragged him over his weight.  .

the world is gonna get a massive hernia if it even attempts that.

• Haha 2

• Moderators

Well...I knew you were coming AHF. lol

So in the subjective, "neither here nor there" world that my imagination runs wild in, I'm suggesting that it's mostly just an act and I'm keeping an eye on how rumors develop around him.  Not enough to seriously put him on my radar though.

A more down to earth answer is that I believe he's just young and immature.  He never struck me as having the red flags that typical problem child or diva types have.  Hell, he's not even in the same hemisphere with Trae where it comes to attitude/chip on this shoulder. 

I think Zion's just a sensitive kid who has responded poorly to criticism of his body.  I mean, he is really young and I none of us "old heads" need to be reminded of the sensitivity of this generation.  In Zion's case, the world has utterly dragged him over his weight.  Maybe something as simple as a change of scenery (new team, coach, environment, and change in franchise expectations) would "turn it around" for him?

Either way, I'm not buying a ticket to the Zion bust train just yet.  Just speaking for the record.

None of us know for sure but there is more to it than just a narrative because he literally wouldn't step on the floor when he was available and they needed him last season.

In terms of age, he is young but he is also older than OO.  The contrast between those two in terms of attitude it pretty huge.

Zion has plenty of time to rebound but I'd say anyone looking to buy also has to see:

Red Flag Obsession | David M Masters

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yeah, if we're lucky, in 3-4 years this Scoot guy may be as good as ... Dejounte Murray! 

😐

Yeah and could also  be our other famous #4 pick.. fan favorite DeAndre hunter

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1