• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

For what it's worth, a while back I rebutted the asinine takes that Nate was intentionally hiring poor talent so he could not be replaced -- not only because it's ridiculous in it's own right, but because the take itself isn't even logical in a vacuum.  If Nate wanted to be the coach of the Hawks, why would he want a worse staff inevitably leading to worse results?  Are we to assume he enjoys ...losing?  Was he unhappy making it to the ECF as an interim?  Nothing about that argument stream of consciousness take makes any sense.

This conversation reminds me of dialogue I had with our HOA about "protecting our elevators" by placing very bland, gray, padding over the walls.  In order to preserve the nice finishes and paint -- which serve a purely aesthetic purpose -- we've covered them with cheap, ugly, padding perpetually.  For what?  Resale value of an elevator cabin, perhaps?  Make it make sense to me.  I digress. 

I'm not even saying that Nate did that, at least consciously.  I'm only making the argument that saying he didn't hire an assistant that he thought might replace him isn't accusing him of being an evil person.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

@sturt - Since you avoided responding to my last substantive post by jumping onto a different topic and I don't want to go down that rabbit hole right now, can I just ask a simple question that focuses on where those two posts diverged?

Do you believe any of these are true?

1. The assistant coaches under Nate were above average for a team with aspirations to contend.
  2. The assistant coaches under Nate were on par for a team with aspirations to contend.
  3. The assistant coaches under Nate were below average for a team with aspirations to contend.
  4. You (sturt) can't assess the competency of the assistant coaches under Nate and don't know whether others can do so but suspect the vast majority of posters cannot.
  5. No one can assess the competency of an assistant coach.

Trying to zero in on where you disagree with the people who believe his staff was not as good as what they believe it should have been.

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

@sturt - Since you avoided responding to my last substantive post by jumping onto a different topic and I don't want to go down that rabbit hole right now, can I just ask a simple question that focuses on where those two posts diverged?

Do you believe any of these are true?

1. The assistant coaches under Nate were above average for a team with aspirations to contend.
  2. The assistant coaches under Nate were on par for a team with aspirations to contend.
  3. The assistant coaches under Nate were below average for a team with aspirations to contend.
  4. You (sturt) can't assess the competency of the assistant coaches under Nate and don't know whether others can do so but suspect the vast majority of posters cannot.
  5. No one can assess the competency of an assistant coach.

Trying to zero in on where you disagree with the people who believe his staff was not as good as what they believe it should have been.

I mean, the only assistant Nate had that has been hired by another team since being let go of in Atlanta is Mike Longbardi.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I mean, the only assistant Nate had that has been hired by another team since being let go of in Atlanta is Mike Longbardi.  

It may not be something, but it's not nothing.

This is also the evidence I use when I tell folks to stop overrating Atkinson.

40 minutes ago, AHF said:

@sturt - Since you avoided responding to my last substantive post by jumping onto a different topic .....

Hehe.  Stu will lambast me but this is some nice snark. 

Edited by kg01
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

It may not be something, but it's not nothing.

This is also the evidence I use when I tell folks to stop overrating Atkinson.

Atkinson is not overrated though.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Didn't mean it to be snarky since sturt gave a detailed and thoughtful response.  IMO, his response just jumped the track into a different conversation and didn't engage with what I think was the key framework or assumption underlying my post.  To me, in assessing whether people are "demonizing" Nate you have to start with the premise that they believe his staff was underqualified or underperforming.  I thought it would be helpful to focus on the key divergence in baseline assumptions between those who are "demonizing" Nate and those who think he did a great job hiring his staff or who think that the criticism is unfair because those people can't have meaningful opinions on that staff, etc.  I'm not 100% sure where that gap lies for sturt in particular and was trying to get to that.

#3 - - Great assistant coaches would be grabbed up as soon as they were released.  Regular assistant  coaches would find their way onto another team by summers end.  Poor assistant coaches would change professions.

Question:  How many assistant Hawk coaches that were released have already been signed by another team?

😉

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, kg01 said:

Well don't leave us hanging.  Who are the other 2? 

Tj McConnell? 

There's a lot of players that I like, but they're not on the "radar" per se.  When I talk about the radar, these are guys whose narratives I monitor closely.  For the past few seasons, I've been stuck on two players.  The first shouldn't come as a surprise:

Karl-Anthony Towns Calls Out People for Not Getting Vaccinated

Again, the radar isn't about realistic acquisition, it's about monitoring the narratives for potential changes in availability (or in Porzingis' case, is his availability realistic AND is he healthy?).

The player that I'm absolutely obsessed with though...? 😩

Spoiler

Brandon Ingram Posts Strong Message to Pelicans Before Game vs. Lakers -  Lakers Daily

...for MANY YEARS, but again, mostly just..🙏🏾

As for guys that I like...TJ is definitely on that list and as been for awhile.  Also at the top of that list are Myles Turner, Max Strus, and recently (thanks to the Squawk chatter) Alperen Şengün.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Wretch said:

As for more guys that I like...TJ is definitely on that list and as been for awhile.  Also at the top of that list are Myles Turner, Max Strus, and recently (thanks to the Squawk chatter) Alperen Şengün.

STRUS!!!     Sorry, no comment but I have to shout out his name everytime I see him on TV.  Gotta give props to one of the two players in the league who went to DePaul.

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

The Dame to Brooklyn noise is getting louder!

Makes sense.  No reason he should be on a rebuilding team with the #3 pick.   They should trade him for more picks and start building around the guys they get this year.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DS5 said:

It shouldn’t be a surprise but figured this is relevant based on recent info. 

Such a misleading title on that article.  he has them at 4 and 5 and said this about jokic

I have not had to play against this version of the Joker, right? When I played against him, he was not the two-time MVP. He was not what we’re seeing now. But I have him at five. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, DS5 said:

This is the tweet I was trying to copy.. not sure what I did 🤦‍♂️

Ooh, that's a live ball turnover on the first day of practice sir.  We're gonna still let you run with the 1's for now.  But we're definitely taking some notes for future reference. 🤔

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

They’re a year too late, but works out for us they didn’t go for Wemby.

Also works for us if they want to rebuild and part ways with Porzingis. Will gladly help them out there!

JC and CC for Porzingis, Gafford, and Delon works $ wise.... lol

Trae/Murray/Dre/OO/Porzingis

Delon/Bogi/AJ/JJ/Gafford

They could then move CC for more picks or whatever since they're going full rebuild mode.....

Edited by terrell
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, terrell said:

JC and CC for Porzingis, Gafford, and Delon works $ wise.... lol

Trae/Murray/Dre/OO/Porzingis

Delon/Bogi/AJ/JJ/Gafford

They could then move CC for more picks or whatever since they're going full rebuild mode.....

That's not gonna work. They sure as heck dont want those contracts. 

4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

That's not gonna work. They sure as heck dont want those contracts. 

CC can be moved.. They've always liked JC.. Just sayin.. 

You gotta have a vet or 2 around even during a rebuild..... lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1