The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

Honestly, we have enough stars we need vets that produce and time under Quinn. We need perimeter defense that should be our #1 focus in FA and/or the draft. Shooting comes as another priority. 1 and 1A in my mind.

ps Fck the Heat’s bs culture it’s soooo dumb. @kg01 Some dude called into nba radio 📻 today during your boy Isola’s hour with gingy Bri. THE MOST ANNOYING HEAT FAN EVERRRRRRR!!!!! He said y’all aren’t giving Miami enough praise and Isola said they had all morning then Isola lost it and said you know what, you wouldn’t have won any rings without lebron james lol just to piss dude off and he said ISOLA YOU’RE NOT INVITED TO DINNER 🥘 AT MY HOUSE.. really lame 😒 dude. I thought of what your BIL might be like 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, kg01 said:

😥

Dang, I thought me and soth were bois.  Do I have any friends now that burd's gone? 

I mean I like to think the people who know I'm close to them on here know that? I'm not exactly that hard to figure out lol. 

@sturt We can acknowledge the devil is in the details without diving into the details.  It can cost a lot, and like Minnesota with Rudy Goebert, it doesn’t always pan out.  So we can also acknowledge there are risk reward hazards.  I still think it’s worth the effort to pursue top talent.  

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

I still contend that going all-in on a Jaylen Brown or KAT type guy before Quin Snyder has a full offseason to work with our roster is a needlessly hasty decision, particularly if it means gutting the rest of our future picks and this years pick.  Should we make some moves around the edges to get guys Quin believes in and thinks will be a good fit into his schemes? Absolutely.  Do we need to trade away our young developing players and gut our bench depth for a "superstar", which I will liberally define as someone that takes up a third of your cap space?  I don't think so.

That sounds very reasonable, but my view is if the right guy becomes available you make the acquisition.  Someone mentioned that 75% of the league wants to play with Quin.  Let's take advantage of that at any level we can, max guys, mid level, and vet mins.  We may have had problems with depth under Nate with, but Quin might have enough guys willing to sign with us and fill in all of our gaps.  

• Like 2

I still contend that going all-in on a Jaylen Brown or KAT type guy before Quin Snyder has a full offseason to work with our roster is a needlessly hasty decision, particularly if it means gutting the rest of our future picks and this years pick.  Should we make some moves around the edges to get guys Quin believes in and thinks will be a good fit into his schemes? Absolutely.  Do we need to trade away our young developing players and gut our bench depth for a "superstar", which I will liberally define as someone that takes up a third of your cap space?  I don't think so.

Second tier stars cost as much as first tier stars, only they aren't as good. We already have a second tier star on a max, I hardly see the need for two. At least not at the expense of draft picks, young players and all our cap space. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Final_quest said:

@sturt We can acknowledge the devil is in the details without diving into the details.  It can cost a lot, and like Minnesota with Rudy Goebert, it doesn’t always pan out.  So we can also acknowledge there are risk reward hazards.  I still think it’s worth the effort to pursue top talent.  

Not to be mean, but I hear that as:

"Don't bother me with how we get there... I just wanna hold hands, sing Kum-Ba-Yah, and pursue world peace. It might cost a lot, and it might not pan out, and we can also acknowledge there are risk/reward hazards... I still think it's worth the effort."

Literally not one of us would argue against pursuing top tier talent. Not one.

• Premium Member

For all of my strong opinions, there is none stronger this off-season than the underlying premise of this comment...

As long as every move has Quin's fingerprints all over it, I'm good. I'm for whatever he's for. And if he's for something I'm not for, then I've changed my mind.... I'm for it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

For all of my strong opinions, there is none stronger this off-season than the underlying premise of this comment...

As long as every move has Quin's fingerprints all over it, I'm good. I'm for whatever he's for. And if he's for something I'm not for, then I've changed my mind.... I'm for it.

Our coach has way more experience than our GM so I'm guessing both are comfortable with Quin having a lot of say.  

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

We may have had problems with depth under Nate

That Demon Nate....

Nate, tell me/us, R.4d0cd90bd8efba089b1827a4f9841e60?rik=D

Ain't that right, Travis.

Ain't that right, Tony.

Good thing we know to look past job titles... we know who was really in charge of player acquisition. That Nate. What a moron.

Seriously?

Old enough to remember Demon Nate being... yes, demonized... here when it came out that he'd been unhappy with the Huerter trade. "Excuse making."

Ya know, AHF took me to task for making the case that people may not explicitly use the term Demon Nate, but the truth is that pretty much every time his name comes up here, the words used largely reaffirm the conviction that Nate was a bad, bad man... aka, you/they have liberally "demonized" him... ie, implicitly, he is considered Demon Nate, nonetheless.

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think anyone here has ever accused Nate of being a bad man.   The main issue is that most believe, including me, that his style of play is not going to be successful in today's NBA and there is a lot of evidence from Atlanta and Indy stints that that is true.  He's a good coach and good guy though. 

Yep.  His style isn't conducive to winning, and he's not a great coach when it comes to player development.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, sturt said:

That Demon Nate....

Nate, tell me/us, R.4d0cd90bd8efba089b1827a4f9841e60?rik=D

Ain't that right, Travis.

Ain't that right, Tony.

Good thing we know to look past job titles... we know who was really in charge of player acquisition. That Nate. What a moron.

Seriously?

Old enough to remember Demon Nate being... yes, demonized... here when it came out that he'd been unhappy with the Huerter trade. "Excuse making."

Ya know, AHF took me to task for making the case that people may not explicitly use the term Demon Nate, but the truth is that pretty much every time his name comes up here, the words used largely reaffirm the conviction that Nate was a bad, bad man... aka, you/they have liberally "demonized" him... ie, implicitly, he is considered Demon Nate, nonetheless.

Nate felt less like a bad demon, and more like a phased-out turtle.

Man was living decades behind and couldn't catch up, not out of malice thankfully like LP and denying Trae team USA, but more so just poor uninspired decision-making.

Demonizing Nate like he's a bad person is going too far, but being critical of his coaching abilities and team management feels fair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Neither available 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Literally not one of us would argue against pursuing top tier talent. Not one.

Not even one?  I feel like I'm in the Pony Remark episode.  

MANYA: He was a beautiful pony! And I loved him.

JERRY: Well, I'm sure you did. Who wouldn't love a pony? Who wouldn't love a person that had a pony?

MANYA: You! You said so!

🎠

Who's everybody's plan B?  I don't think we'll be doing the Brown or Towns thing.

Are there any other guys folks would like us to target?  Just fodder for discussion.  I'm cool with moving this elsewhere.  I don't want to draw further ire from @Sothron since he already hates us all, per my sources. 😉

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Who's everybody's plan B?  I don't think we'll be doing the Brown or Towns thing.

Are there any other guys folks would like us to target?  Just fodder for discussion.  I'm cool with moving this elsewhere.  I don't want to draw further ire from @Sothron since he already hates us all, per my sources. 😉

1. trade assets for worse assets so we can avoid the tax

2.  overypay DJM cause we're scared to lose him

3.  settle on a very nice treadmill that won't break down for the next 5 years

10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Cursory glance at WAR leaders from the past season, I’d be interested in kicking the tires on:

Name (Rank, WAR)

Dame (7, 11.5) - doubt we could outbid others should he become available, but he could potentially become available  

Brook Lopez (22, 9.1)

Lauri Markkanen (28, 8.5)

Kristaps Porzingis (31, 8.2)

Alex Caruso (42, 7.0)

For reference, the first Hawk player ranked is Trae obviously (17th, 9.8 WAR). The second Hawk to show up is Clint (59th, 5.4 WAR). 

I’m sure this list is pretty vomit inducing for a lot of folks, but they’re players that would provide upgrades that may potentially be available to move depending on the price. 

pulled from:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Unwanted players like Bruce Brown was before he signed with Denver.  Assuming Quin has some targets he favors across the league.

• Like 4