• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
Just now, Final_quest said:

I don't feel fooled at all.  My own view is Ressler has been aggressive when opportunity is there and he shows restraint when appropriate.  If our ECF team would have followed up that performance with a strong season, Ressler would have paid more to keep it together or add to it. 

When you end up firing the coach and GM it's not also time to take your salary to the top 25% in the league.  Going into the tax to add Kevin Huerter to your group of wings Murray, Hunter, AJ, Bogi, and Bey made no sense.  You'd be saying we should trade one of those guys for something valuable like a 1st round pick.  It's easier to package a first with a player like Collins or Capela for an upgrade than it would be trying to match salary and fit with Huerter as part of a trade.  

Strategically I don't see where Ressler has ever been in a position where paying the tax was/is the right move.  

To me, it's all about timing as was the Huerter trade. We've debated that point already so let's agree to disagree on it and we'll see how it plays out this offseason.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

BTW it looks like you've been styling Tyler Herro during the Finals.  

his bucket hat game is tight.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

What's the percentage on you punching @Spud2nique in the belly if yall ever meet up?  😄

It's ok, he's not listenin'.  You can tell me.

Don't worry spud, he'll help you up and will buy you a beer afterwards.  But that belly-punch is comin', brolio. 

Can I be there? 

I'll be sitting in the corner just waiting....

Screenshot_20230605_163847_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

If you woulda asked me, there woulda been no pause. CC or JC is gone.

With that person, I rarely ask for a percentage because it puts them in a box so to speak. They were naturally reluctant to put it in a percentage. I rarely ask for something like that because it could put them in a bad spot if whatever I ask about doesn't happen.

I definitely think either Capela or Collins or both will be moved this offseason. I don't know if we are keeping our pick unless it is to draft the rookie replacement for a vacating front court starter.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Sothron said:

With that person, I rarely ask for a percentage because it puts them in a box so to speak. They were naturally reluctant to put it in a percentage. I rarely ask for something like that because it could put them in a bad spot if whatever I ask about doesn't happen.

I definitely think either Capela or Collins or both will be moved this offseason. I don't know if we are keeping our pick unless it is to draft the rookie replacement for a vacating front court starter.

If we're big game huntin', so to speak, we almost have to keep the pick as a cost-saving measure.  Jmho ... who'm I kidding, jmeo. 😎

• Like 4

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

No, soth has a blackbelt in message boardin'.  If he has a problem with it, he'll eloquently and terrifyingly let us all know. 

He tried to. Multiple times. And yet... your response proves you weren't payin attention, brother. People aren't wrong to get tired of having to defend themselves. 'Specially when it's stupid stuff.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I believe that Tony would pay the tax in a hypothetical situation where we drafted well, we have a bunch of great players that need healthy extensions, AND we are making deep post season runs at the same time.  That hypothetical scenario is a rare one, and few teams have been in that situation over the past 10 years.  The decision, in this case, is complete a no-brainer to pay the tax; basically, all GMs would pay the tax to retain a team that is already contending and has great talent and upside -- however -- the reality is that building a contender requires investment.  We can all hope to draft a team like golden state and sign KD and start paying the tax but we'll still be hoping in 2050.

What I would like to see, is a conscious investment in the team to become contenders.  This requires conviction from the front office that we have a group of guys that can get us there and it requires Ressler to trust them.  I am hopeful we can get into that scenario in the next 2-4 years under Snyder.  I had zero faith Ressler was going into the tax with McMillan at the helm, because I wouldn't even have faith in that decision and I'm just a casual fan.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Bro, how many times have we heard there is a 100% chance Collins will be moved?  Nothing is 100%.

@sturt I hear what you are saying and it describes what every NBA franchise has to do continually.  How can we improve more than the competition?  I actually think we ARE in a difficult position to improve because what you are saying is true.  The players we would want to trade due to their fit or contract aren't highly valued around the league. We need to really hit on a signing or trade like we did with Millsap or Korver.  It will take finding some undervalued players or moving more draft capital for an upgrade. 

never said it was JC. clint or dre are also among that front court and clint is probably the most obvious with how Quin closed with Oneyka down the stretch multiple times

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

With that person, I rarely ask for a percentage because it puts them in a box so to speak. They were naturally I don't know if we are keeping our pick unless it is to draft the rookie replacement for a vacating front court starter.

Really the rookie replacement for our bench frontcourt player that is now a starter, right?  (I.e., if CC goes then OO is the new starter.  if JC goes, Bey or JJ will likely be starting.)  I can't imagine us starting a rookie next year unless we trade up dramatically in the draft and that just doesn't seem likely since I think vet talent is more needed than rookie talent.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I have been told a number of times during the last season and in the offseason Nick Ressler has convinced his dad to pay the LT. I do think the Hawks are big game hunting. I think Jalen Brown or KAT could be in Atlanta next year.

I don' think the LT is a concern for us honestly at this point.

I do believe Kat is available.

there’s a lot of rumors about the Knicks being is his likely destination with the Caa ties. Leon was his former agent.

Randle & IQ plus 3 picks for Towns or something like that.

Idk how we’d be able to top that!

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I love to hear this. Not just about KAT and Brown, but also about big game hunting.

Define "big game hunting."

Because I genuinely don't know who qualifies, unless we're talking about players who

(a) aren't available anyhow b/c their current teams understand their value to their own title hopes (eg, AD),

(b) are on the down slope of their careers (eg, Kawhi), and/or

(c) paid or soon to be paid as-if they've got multiple championship rings though not even having one (Jaylen), and in some cases, haven't really even sniffed one (eg, KAT).

I fear the term. It smacks of grass-is-greener-ism.

25 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We have to get out of this poor man’s mindset of holding out hope that we have all these hidden superstars on our roster that we can’t afford to lose. We need to send these healthy sized contracts out and bring back some big time talent.

It's no one's fault. It's just how it is. Players rarely come into the league and dominate from the jump.

It takes years. Literally years.

So, it's not so simple.

This is why GMs get paid the big bucks. They have to be discerning. They have to determine what's more likely than unlikely.

And if a team wants to give you Shareef Abdur-Rahim so they can have an unproven 21 year-old from Europe... you have to be discerning.

Or let Bulls fans talk to you about how long they held on to Lauri Markkanen.

There's no blanket statement that applies here. Each player is an individual asset to be assessed in light of (a) what they're to be paid and (b) what you'll have to pay to get them.

And if you don't get offers that you feel confident will be a win for your end of the transaction, don't make a deal just to be able to say we made a deal.

34 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Right now, we see ourselves as strapped. But that just means its time to flip medium sized assets together for big ones.

So, you're suggesting that other teams aren't as smart as we are.... they'll take whatever "medium sized assets" for whatever "big ones" they have... we're effectively in a league chock-full of dopes with no self-interest.

Wha?

37 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Now is the time to prove we are not just satisfied with making the playoffs and going home early. 

It is.

But the path there is not so clear as you seem to try to make it.

Except for BB and CC, this is not an over-the-hill team. In fact, by average age of the rotation, it was the youngest playoff team.

That's not chopped liver. You have some very viable assets that are still trending upward. And you also can't just toss aside BB and CC because of age... championships more often than not are won by teams with some of those guys, too.

And you don't just summon up chemistry in real life like you might on a video game. It takes dozens of games together normally, if not an entire season.

Don't discount the most potent acquisition making a difference likely has already been acquired. You have legitimately one of the most renown head coaches in the league now. His team beat the EC winner on their court in the play-in. His team took the Cs to 6 games, even missing DJM in a series-decider.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, AHF said:

Really the rookie replacement for our bench frontcourt player that is now a starter, right?  (I.e., if CC goes then OO is the new starter.  if JC goes, Bey or JJ will likely be starting.)  I can't imagine us starting a rookie next year unless we trade up dramatically in the draft and that just doesn't seem likely since I think vet talent is more needed than rookie talent.

If Capela is traded and OO starts then the 15 pick would be the rookie BU center. That is what I meant. The rookie would replace the role of someone stepping up as a starter.

• Like 4