• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

HA!  Spelling champ of my 6th grade class over here so you watch yo damn mouth.  LOL.  

Fast typing and no proofreading gets me every time though. 

This is the thing. As the winner of my 5th grade spelling bee, I bring some important gravity to this tangent, so listen up... 😄 ...

Always thought spelling bees' silly flaw was that you could take 5 minutes to spell the word. Heck, you could go find it in the dictionary in less than 1 (!).

There should be a clock. If there'd been a clock, I'd have made it to DC... to ESPN...

tenor.gif?itemid=3294331

• Haha 1

The media is effective. They even got to me.

Before, the Schmelts got Hor’d (gored;lost) I wanted JB badly really badly.

Then they began to tear him a new one.

I would like to acquire OG before Brown, specially considering the money..

But Brown, despite all this stuff being said negatively about him is that, he’s a dog.

He competes 💯 

When you are ultra aggressive and you don’t have a natural point guard on your roster, coming over to the Hawks and playing with Trae might unlock Brown even more.

This aggressiveness in wanting to make plays caused his turnovers. 

OG and Brown, both dogs that are mainly available to play and play hard every time.

• Premium Member
On 5/10/2023 at 6:55 AM, NBASupes said:

He never wanted to play with clown ass Howard.

I remember this being reported... maybe not in just those words... but it became clear that Dwight was someone Horford felt strongly he didn't want to play with.

7 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

If JB gets a supermax, there's simply not a trade that is worth it to me.  Because even if you started with JB/Trae both on supermax contracts and then custom pieced together a roster from there, I don't think you can get there.  It's too much money to build a competitive roster around.

If it's JB versus Murray on a regular max, I can understand why we might pursue.  

Yea, I dont see the the Trae/Brown pairing working. I mean both players will put up numbers, but we wont be able to afford much else besides them, unless Ressler is willing to pay luxury taxes, which he has so far been resistant too. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yea, I dont see the the Trae/Brown pairing working. I mean both players will put up numbers, but we wont be able to afford much else besides them, unless Ressler is willing to pay luxury taxes, which he has so far been resistant too. 

Do you see a Trae/Brown pairing being better than a Trae/DJ pairing? I do and we'll likely have to max out DJ the next off-season to keep him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

When you tie up most all of your payroll in two players, you're betting that they both remain 100% healthy.  Imagine having Trae/Brown, then one of them gets a serious injury.  Everything automatically goes down the drain.

:ahf:

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, ShooterSays said:

I mean I’m not giving them Trae Young. But outside of that, yeah I’m probably good.

I remember always hoping guys like Cam, Hunter, Huerter, Collins, etc. would develop into the caliber of player Jaylen Brown IS RIGHT NOW. We never sold high on those guys and they didn’t develop into what we hoped they would be.

I have no doubt OO, AJ, and Jalen will be solid NBA players, but I’m not making those same mistakes again. Honestly, I don’t even think these guys will be part of the trade. And if they are, I see only one of them being included.

If we have the chance at a player like Jaylen Brown, you have to go for it.

This x10. We know JB is all-NBA. The others are fun to root for and watch develop, but the likelihood of them reaching the caliber of player that JB already has is low.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I also don't see JB getting a Supermax. The Celtics paying two players $300m when they haven't accomplished anything would be dumb. He might get a fifth year, but I think they'll be open to proposals.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Id rather resign DJ than a J.Brown trade. 

I firmly believe that Trae/JB would be better than Trae/DJ fit wise. In fact, I think DJ/JB would probably be better fit wise.

4 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

I firmly believe that Trae/JB would be better than Trae/DJ fit wise. In fact, I think DJ/JB would probably be better fit wise.

I agree generally, but a trade is cost prohibitive. Celtics will want the moon, that's how these things work. If we could sign him as a free agent I'd be all for it. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, look at this big news...!!

big-news-stamp-260nw-541703920.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member

So, I don't think this will happen, but it certainly is in the realm of possibility. And I forget who said it, but we've been told by respectable sources that our FO has been looking at that possibility... as they should... again, it's totally totally rational that if a player with two ASGs and a recent all-NBA plaque on his wall is apparently very very interested in playing for your team, you obviously have to look seriously into that.

Some argue, "Hell yeah. Forget the price. You have only one player on the current roster who even is comparable in terms of his regard around the league. That means no single player you give up is going to enter the 23-24 season as being the premium asset he is... anyone you give up is only a potentially premium asset in a league chock-full of those."

I get it.

I'd even add the point... you can only have 5 guys on the court at any given time, so in the contest between having 15 really good players, and having 5 top tier players and 10 JAGs... (at least until the league would adopt rules that incentivize teams to play more players, which I would so treasure... ) the better option is to have 5 top tier players, no question.

But.

That's the philosophical discussion.

This needs to be an applied discussion... what about us, our team, right here, right now... what would any of us say this team needs as it stands today? What does this team not have that, if it had it, it would be positioned to make a serious assault in 23-24 on the NBA Finals?

What Brown would bring to the rotation, imo, is mainly offense, mainly a guy who can get his own shot from anywhere on the court... essentially a younger, more athletic version of what BogBog has meant to us.

That, to me, qualifies more as a want than a need.

So, if you can get that kind of asset at a clear discount, I'm all in... but as others have suggested, I'm not confident that he's going to end up being a missing piece. And if you don't get him at a discount (and to a large degree even if you do), your capacity to make moves that actually do  address a need is now going to be constrained by obtaining him--at the price of what you send out, and at the price of the impact on your payroll/tax situation.

I agree with Koonin. We need to identify a bad ass bulldog. Offensively, but also defensively. A true two-way player. Indeed, if there's one screaming need, it's perimeter defense.

Those also don't come cheap. Those also are in short supply. Such a deal is more likely than not, just not out there to be had.

The smart alternative, imo, ends up that you and your scouts target someone who isn't quite there yet but that you feel most confidence is on the cusp... perhaps he's been prevented from developing somewhat due to an injury, or perhaps he's just not had the right situation (behind another star), or perhaps not had the best coaching... or all of the above...

And go get that guy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

The media is effective. They even got to me.

Before, the Schmelts got Hor’d (gored;lost) I wanted JB badly really badly.

Then they began to tear him a new one.

I would like to acquire OG before Brown, specially considering the money..

But Brown, despite all this stuff being said negatively about him is that, he’s a dog.

He competes 💯 

When you are ultra aggressive and you don’t have a natural point guard on your roster, coming over to the Hawks and playing with Trae might unlock Brown even more.

This aggressiveness in wanting to make plays caused his turnovers. 

OG and Brown, both dogs that are mainly available to play and play hard every time.

Based on 'reports', the price for OG is similar to that for Brown tho.  That's even more egregious, imo.  OG is good but he ain't no franchise player either, plus he's an injury risk.  Makes either one untenable.

The 'move' is to get Ingram to ask out.  Holy tampering, batman! 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Based on 'reports', the price for OG is similar to that for Brown tho.  That's even more egregious, imo.  OG is good but he ain't no franchise player either, plus he's an injury risk.  Makes either one untenable.

The 'move' is to get Ingram to ask out.  Holy tampering, batman! 😄

It isn't tampering when the players do it (at least based on precedent for how the league has interpreted tampering).  Just have Trae make the call.

• Like 3