• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

If Capela is traded and OO starts then the 15 pick would be the rookie BU center. That is what I meant. The rookie would replace the role of someone stepping up as a starter.

Got it! But wouldn't we want a cheaper backup vet vs a rookie? Do we really want to get younger as a team?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Got it! But wouldn't we want a cheaper backup vet vs a rookie? Do we really want to get younger as a team?

I think there is a bigger chance we trade the 15 pick than we keep it tbh. Teams know this is probably the last decent pick the Hawks will own in years due to the DJM trade and where we are trying to go as a franchise.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I love to hear this. Not just about KAT and Brown, but also about big game hunting.

We have to get out of this poor man’s mindset of holding out hope that we have all these hidden superstars on our roster that we can’t afford to lose. We need to send these healthy sized contracts out and bring back some big time talent.

You start making big time moves and FAs will start taking us seriously when it’s time to fill out the roster with vets on cheap deals. 

Right now, we see ourselves as strapped. But that just means its time to flip medium sized assets together for big ones.

Now is the time to prove we are not just satisfied with making the playoffs and going home early. 

Even if we strike out it still shows we are trying to build a contender. That’s the message we have to send to the league. We are not a farm system team.

I agree and I’m not triggered by your thoughts.  The NBA is all about the top tier players. 

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Sothron said:

If Capela is traded and OO starts then the 15 pick would be the rookie BU center. That is what I meant. The rookie would replace the role of someone stepping up as a starter.

Jay proposed... and I don't pretend to know how serious she was, but I took it at face value...

CC to HOU

for

#20 + Garuba

At first, I balked, but then came to realize that if you ship out a big contract and allow yourself to take advantage of MLE, you're highly likely to find a rotation player at a bargain price simply because there are so few teams with cap space, and at that, relatively little cap space except for HOU.

So, ostensibly, it's #20 + Garuba + MLE bargain... and you still conceivably might be able to stay below the tax line. My idea was Mo Wagner... so you give Yeka both a defense-first backup (Garuba) and an offense-first backup (Wagner).

And you still have #15 and #20 as poker chips to put with, say, Bey, to get yourself an upgrade.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I agree and I’m not triggered by your thoughts.  The NBA is all about the top tier players. 

Dismissiveness isn't a cogent argument. It's not even an argument. It's just dismissiveness.

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I love to hear this. Not just about KAT and Brown, but also about big game hunting.

We have to get out of this poor man’s mindset of holding out hope that we have all these hidden superstars on our roster that we can’t afford to lose. We need to send these healthy sized contracts out and bring back some big time talent.

You start making big time moves and FAs will start taking us seriously when it’s time to fill out the roster with vets on cheap deals. 

Right now, we see ourselves as strapped. But that just means its time to flip medium sized assets together for big ones.

Now is the time to prove we are not just satisfied with making the playoffs and going home early. 

Even if we strike out it still shows we are trying to build a contender. That’s the message we have to send to the league. We are not a farm system team.

Agreed 100%.  Every team's fans overvalue their young players, including myself.  We see flashes from these guys and it gets us excited.  But the reality is that the vast majority of these guys will never become top 25 players.  And by the time they do, our other players would have started declining.  Get the stars when you can.  We have 2 all-star level players already and lots of tradeable talent around them, we need to capitalize on this with a sure thing. It's much easier to find a 7th or 8th man for depth than it is to get another star player.  

I don't want to trade AJ or JJ, they are both very promising but if we can grab a star with one of them in a package it's probably worth it.

Edited by AtLaS

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

I have been told a number of times during the last season and in the offseason Nick Ressler has convinced his dad to pay the LT. I do think the Hawks are big game hunting. I think Jalen Brown or KAT could be in Atlanta next year.

I don' think the LT is a concern for us honestly at this point.

Jalen Brown or Jaylen Brown? 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, sturt said:

Dismissiveness isn't a cogent argument. It's not even an argument. It's just dismissiveness.

You don’t double down on mediocrity.  It isn’t even an argument, it’s a philosophy.  You always hunt big game.  I like that our FO is thinking that way.
We also can’t be dismissive towards aspiring towards a higher tier player.   Everyone understands it’s a challenge to get those guys. We might not get it done, but it’s always the goal.  
I support the effort without needing to make a cogent case about how it would or would not happen.  Asking for proof that it is achievable is what comes across as dismissive to me.  

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

I support the effort without needing to make a cogent case about how it would or would not happen.  Asking for proof that it is achievable is what comes across as dismissive to me.  

I support the effort for world peace and a cure for cancer.

But yeah... devil meet details. It kinda matters.

To wit...........................

2023-06-05_20-15-28.png

I’m not sure why but I’m not excited about adding KAT or Jaylen.

Being a deep team is much more important along with spacing offensively and being able to play in space defensively.

Dont get me wrong I know pairing of Jaylen or KAT with Trae is a great duo but FO would really have to be smart about what’s built around them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Nah, per my sources, yall hate each other. 🤓

Jealous! I’ll lick his boots 👢 harder than you. 

(All seriousness Soth and I are closer than Soth and anyone). Whoever doesn’t believe it is in denial. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AtLaS said:

Agreed 100%.  Every team's fans overvalue their young players, including myself.  We see flashes from these guys and it gets us excited.  But the reality is that the vast majority of these guys will never become top 25 players.  And by the time they do, our other players would have started declining.  Get the stars when you can.  We have 2 all-star level players already and lots of tradeable talent around them, we need to capitalize on this with a sure thing. It's much easier to find a 7th or 8th man for depth than it is to get another star player.  

I don't want to trade AJ or JJ, they are both very promising but if we can grab a star with one of them in a package it's probably worth it.

While I agree with you and @RedDawg#8 my only fear in going after the “big fish” is how the team is built around them and how quickly can it be built.

I would love to see a Trae & KAT duo but what surrounds them is just as important.

I guess what I’m saying is if we can build a DEEP team around Trae & Murray that has to be a big consideration. It’s great to go after the “big fish”…but don’t allow other good moves to past by waiting for a big time trade! I believe that’s what usually happens to us. It’s not that we don’t go after big time players, we allow other teams to constantly screw us over. Then play victim when there were other good deals we could have made.

7 minutes ago, JTB said:

I’m not sure why but I’m not excited about adding KAT or Jaylen.

Being a deep team is much more important along with spacing offensively and being able to play in space defensively.

Dont get me wrong I know pairing of Jaylen or KAT with Trae is a great duo but FO would really have to be smart about what’s built around them.

To appease @JTB here @kg01 forget all those guys just focus on the next Duncan Robinson. :batman:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Jealous! I’ll lick his boots 👢 harder than you. 

(All seriousness Soth and I are closer than Soth and anyone). Whoever doesn’t believe it is in denial. 

😥

Dang, I thought me and soth were bois.  Do I have any friends now that burd's gone? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1