• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome Back Bruno! and welcome Garrison Mathews.

JayBirdHawk

Congrats Northcyde and Stu. I was dead wrong on Bruno. I claimed he would be out of the league but to his credit he worked hard and not only stay but improved.

Bruno is like a cat 🐈 9 lives. He’s prolly gonna be with us like Kevin Willis for a couple decades. :sarcastic: 

• Like 1

I know defensive raptor isn't everything but it's a solid indicator of things at times.  Matthews is far and away more of a + defender than Jhol was and Bruno compared to frank the Tank is downright insane on defense this year.

Matthews has been a +4.0(top 35 in the league over 100 minutes played) on def. raptor this year where as Jhol was a -2.5  and  Bruno who has improved on defense for sure is a +1.3 compared to Franks -7.1(3rd worst in the league over 100+ minutes played) 

Bruno was a negative defender with us his 1st year but since then has been a + defender at both stops which is nice to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@JayBirdHawk it’s Mathews not Matthews. You didn’t win any spelling bees did you? :ph34r: :sarcastic:

I digress. One of my closest friends is a rockets fan and his fav player not too long ago was this dude Garrison. 

I wanna be a fly on the wall when Korver personally works with this guy and you know Korver is a hands on type of guy. 

Mathews is the closest thing to Korver we’ve had since Korver. :er:

Teams gotta play us honest, they cheat and this dude is a bucket from deep. Underrated pickup.

• Thanks 2

I think this 2 players are really good additions, really underrated move for the Hawks. We added 2 rotation players to out 2nd unit, 3 with Bey, 3 rotation players on any NBA team

Trae/AH

DJM/Bogi/AJ

Hunter/AJ/Matthews

JC/Bey/JJ

Capela/OO/Bruno

13 rotation players, really good

• JayBirdHawk changed the title to Welcome Back Bruno! and welcome Garrison Mathews.

😉  Garrison M. , as a new Hawk, might get a minute or two if he can break into our 9 man rotation!

Bey, Bruno & G Matthews should be available to look at when our next game rolls around.  They might even dress out!  I like our new Hawks!

:smug:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

@JayBirdHawk it’s Mathews not Matthews. You didn’t win any spelling bees did you? :ph34r: :sarcastic:

I digress. One of my closest friends is a rockets fan and his fav player not too long ago was this dude Garrison. 

I wanna be a fly on the wall when Korver personally works with this guy and you know Korver is a hands on type of guy. 

Mathews is the closest thing to Korver we’ve had since Korver. :er:

Teams gotta play us honest, they cheat and this dude is a bucket from deep. Underrated pickup.

Like these two additions.  Friggin Mathews bombed away in us in a game last year.  And we needed a sizey, active guy like Bruno.

Yes, we had our sites set higher but we're better than we were.  That's not deniable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, gurpilo said:

I think this 2 players are really good additions, really underrated move for the Hawks. We added 2 rotation players to out 2nd unit, 3 with Bey, 3 rotation players on any NBA team

Trae/AH

DJM/Bogi/AJ

Hunter/AJ/Matthews

JC/Bey/JJ

Capela/OO/Bruno

13 rotation players, really good

Underrated move, perhaps.

Um. Define "rotation."  I see you have Mathews (1 t... yeah, unusual) and Bruno as 3rd unit players (which I think we all agree is the case). And Nate doesn't even always play his first 10. So, they're going to be end of the bench.

Mathews nor Bruno were getting consistent minutes on a developmental roster in HOU, so it's hard to figure apart from injuries forcing the issue that either one is going to surface that much more than did the guys shipped out to get them.

The grid of our 15-man depth chart... ordinarily a very clean 3 column 5 row frame for most teams... is a little clunky given that we have, in reality, one full-time PG starter... one PG/SG starter... another PG/SG that sometimes gets PT as-if he's on the 2nd unit, other times as-if he's on the 3rd... and then, of course, all that has a trickle-down effect on how our wings get inserted into the frame, which in turn, has some effect on the PF slots, since our front office apparently will continue with the Schlenk philosophy of considering big SFs to be our PF back-ups.

Suffice it to say, though, we have 7 players who, if healthy, have played 20-30 minutes every night no matter what: Trae, DJ, Dre, JC, CC, BogBog and OO.

We have another corps of 3... ADay, AJ, and JJ... who have played 15-20 minutes on occasion, less or decidedly less on other occasions.

Think we'll see Bey incrementally take some minutes from BogBog especially (no more 30+ min in regular season, imo), but also AJ (fewer 20+ min, imo), Dre and JJ... and additionally I suspect that ADay will hardly ever see the floor beside Trae or DJ the rest of the season... ie, exclusively a PG from here on out.

That's 11 guys. Nate never plays 11 guys a night.

And circling back to the thread topic, and responding to the post, Mathews and Bruno, are players 12 and 13.

Not going to see the floor very much (*knock on wood*)

But at least they won't be in College Park, as Tyrese already is, and as Vit... one would think... should be soon. (But since he hasn't already been--literally has not played a single minute for CPS--maybe Nate just feels he needs Vit as a practice squad guy...???)

Sturt, I think there is a difference. JH and Kaminsky were unplayable. Garrison and Bruno have great advanced stats and were positive influence for the Rockets, they can step and play at any moment and they provide solutions. Bruno is a capable defender for some matchups, Matthews can provide defense and 3pt shooting when is needed, JH just could not shoot or defend. I agree they will not play much but they can cover efficiently injuries.

Bey will find minutes as he is a capable scorer for a 2nd unit. 

After the rotation is settled I think Bey is going to impact JJ minutes. I think Bruno will hardly leave the bench unless there is an injury and I think Mathews is going to be on the rotation at the expense of AH, AJ and Bogi minutes, we will see

• Like 1