• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks in talks with Snyder

Spud2nique

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Afro said:

It wont let me quote you @sturt. I agree, but Milwaukee is definitely in that same realm as Utah/Atlanta and Bud has "made it work". Quotations because walking into a surefire first ballot hall of famer who is also very loyal changes the dynamics a bit lol. 

@Afro Check the pinned thread entitled something like “Technical Issue Squawk Theme / Skin.”  Your inability to quote is likely related to that issue.  Good news is that it is an easy fix.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, DS5 said:

I want Quin as HC but not as POBO, and I'm afraid that'll be the only way to convince him to come here. 

It's less that I don't want Quin for POBO, more that I'm a little surprised that Ressler would be okay with that concept since he obviously regretted doing that with Bud. I seem to recall him talking about how he'd been convinced that that was too much to put on a person to do both that and coach.

So, I'm wondering, what would have brought him 360 degrees around on that (?)... ie, if reports are proven true.

But me, I think if you're convinced that Quin Snyder is this culture changer, and you envision him as a young Pops, hell yeah... you want that person to have charge over the whole enchilada... and all the more so with such a young pup of a GM... and and and... so much more still given that the potential next owner of the franchise (some day anyway) is also on the basketball ops staff. It gives me some reason for confidence that Daddy Ressler really does understand that a well-regarded veteran NBA fixture needs to be piloting the plane, and Junior only within shouting distance of the cabin.

• Moderators

Honestly i'm good with POBO because right now that's being done by a committee which is a bad idea.   It's why our ability to make deals for the last year has been so inept because no one can agree.  I assume Snyder's ask is that he has final say.  Someone needs to. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Whatever Snyder’s title, if he comes to Atlanta he needs to be focused on coaching and let the GM do the personnel side.  Coaches lack objectivity in long term roster management.  Coaches should be an important voice in the conversation for personnel issues but not running the show.

That's what Ressler would have said after Bud.

Before and during Bud, of course, he'd become persuaded that Bud could be his Pops... and Pops, of course, would seem to offer himself as evidence that what-is-best-practice is not so absolute.

• Premium Member
Just now, macdaddy said:

I assume Snyder's ask is that he has final say.  Someone needs to. 

Ultimately, this might be the deal breaker. We know Ressler's attitude about this... that it's a fallacy that anyone has the final say that isn't named Tony P. Ressler.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, sturt said:

Ultimately, this might be the deal breaker. We know Ressler's attitude about this... that it's a fallacy that anyone has the final say that isn't named Tony P. Ressler.

Yeah you're exactly right on that.   But hopefully Tony isn't dumb because the evidence is that him having final say has been a disaster for this franchise.  

• Premium Member

Another angle in the POBO conversation...

You want the head coach to know that ultimately, if it ever came down to it, the owner will have his back rather than the star player.

That title reinforces that, and maybe more precisely and saliently, it sends the implicit message to the star player himself... which in turn, can/should be interpreted as "We love you, and we want you to be successful, and/but the way that will happen if it's going to happen is with this guy as the head coach. He should not be regarded as automatically dispensable, because he's not."

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I think anyone who thinks he's gonna be traded

I don't think he's gonna be traded, but that's because I also think the future is bright. (And you know me... of course I do.)

I do think that if they make a hire like this, the attitude will not be later on, "Well, Trae's upset... next man up for head coach?" I think if Snyder is hired, Trae's place will be more vulnerable than the POBO/HC.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

Another angle in the POBO conversation...

You want the head coach to know that ultimately, if it ever came down to it, the owner will have his back rather than the star player.

That title reinforces that, and maybe more precisely and saliently, it sends the implicit message to the star player himself... which in turn, can/should be interpreted as "We love you, and we want you to be successful, and/but the way that will happen if it's going to happen is with this guy as the head coach. He should not be regarded as automatically dispensable, because he's not."

That aspect I like.  There just aren’t enough hours in a day for a coach to be a GM.  It would like a major company’s CEO also being the CFO.  You don’t have enough time to do both jobs the way they need to be done and don’t want decisions from the hip.

• Like 2

You have to have a great working relationship between the head coach/president of basketball ops and the general manager.  See Pop with RC Buford in San Antonio.  I don't think Bud and Wilcox had a strong working relationship in Atlanta, so it went sideways.  My preference at that time was always to let Bud bring in his own GM and keep him long term.  I also think Wilcox went behind Bud's back and ingratiated himself with Ressler at times.

• Like 2