• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Mouhamed Gueye

NBASupes

5 hours ago, Final_quest said:

I see it more like what Dallas did last year.  There are people who want a full rebuild of our roster but I think those are the trade Trae guys.  

To me there is benefit of tanking to try for a top 3 pick with the new lottery odds.  Also, giving minutes to guys like Kobe Bufkin so they can learn on the job without needing to win.  

If we're gonna play to win, I'm cool with that.  But I don't think the majority of the pro tank crowd just want to "tear it all down."

I see absolutely no value in tanking at this, or any other point, jmho.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Draft this year is a crap shoot, and the lottery kind of makes tanking pointless anyway. 

People project weak or strong draft classes and the draft often turns out much different in reality all the time.

Dallas just proved there is a case to tank the last 6 weeks of the season.    

I see both perspectives on the tank debate for our situation this year.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Draft every year is a crap shoot, and the lottery kind of makes tanking pointless anyway. 

Fixed

2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

People project weak or strong draft classes and the draft often turns out much different in reality all the time.

Good players are found in every draft, mostly outside the lottery.  That fact alone renders tanking a useless strategy.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

This is how I feel.  I think the value of the tanking is limited but also some limited value in seeing us compete when you see results like last night's game.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Fixed

Good players are found in every draft, mostly outside the lottery.  That fact alone renders tanking a useless strategy.

First, good talent is mostly found disproportionately in the lottery.  There is a definite decline in talent as the draft progresses when you look at the aggregate historical results (which smooth out the hits and misses). 

Second, here is how I view this draft.  This draft will have some good players.  Who will those players be?  Harder to tell which guys will breakout than in a normal draft which does make tanking less useful than in years with clear top prospects ala LeBron, Wade and Bosh.  But the reality is and the value for leaning into playing young players, etc. to get higher picks is that once a player is taken he is no longer available.  So there might be a Jimmy Butler who could go anywhere from 12-35 in this class but if someone takes him at 12 and he ends up being the big breakout then he isn't on the board for you.  Think about Giannis.  We wanted him but he wasn't on the board when we picked.  Doesn't really matter if he is taken #1 or #10 or #15 if he is off the board when you pick.  You can't get him in any of those scenarios but if you have a higher pick then guys will be on the board who otherwise wouldn't be at a later pick.  Tough to say if that will end up being significant or not.  (In some drafts it is obviously hugely impactful ala Duncan at #1 and Van Horn at #2).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kg01 said:

Unhinged.  The best players are outside the lottery?!  This sounds like a drunk dialing the ex type of take.  

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Unhinged.  The best players are outside the lottery?!  This sounds like a drunk dialing the ex type of take.  

If that's what you read, perhaps you're the one partaking. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm envisioning a front court with Jalen Johnson, Onyeka Okongwu, Mouhamed Gueye, and Kel'el Ware with all of them being very flexible offensively and multi position guarders on defense.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Really encouraging to see Gueye have such a strong game given how limited he has been this year.  He definitely has the tools to be a real success.

• Like 2

When the Hawks are far behind and their rookies and youth take over and our opponent "suddenly" decides that it's time to put their starters back in the game before things get out of hand, I just grin to myself and say, "Our future looks bright!"

:smug:

• Like 1

Gueye is going to be a really good player for us. I'd be interested to see if he gets a role for us in the postseason considering Jalen will be out and Vit is unavailable. Quin may opt for Wes Matthews experience instead, but there is something about MoGueye's game that is both effective and electrifying all at the same time.

• Like 3

Waiting to see M. Gueye in the play-in.  

Sometimes you're the windshield - Sometimes you're the bug.   Wonder which one our Atlanta boys will be tonight??

GO ATL HAWKS!!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Waiting to see M. Gueye in the play-in.  

Sometimes you're the windshield - Sometimes you're the bug.   Wonder which one our Atlanta boys will be tonight??

GO ATL HAWKS!!

• Thanks 1