• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'll believe it when I see it.  Right now any report of Ressler being willing to pay the tax is beyond suspect in my book.

He'll have the full offseason to set the record straight if he is serious about this team this year.

This x1000.

Story:  Our owner says it ok for us to go into the luxury tax

Fact:  2 minutes later our GM makes a salary dump trade solely for the purpose of not having to pay the luxury tax

Truth:  this is not one of those scenarios where you can say the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  No, here the truth is clear as day.  The Hawks are a small market team with a small market owner who only cares about not getting taxed for a play in team.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, warcore said:

so Travis got pushed out because Nate was/is an idiot. Makes sense. He's the GM -- not the coach. It's not his job to tell the coach how to coach.... get a new coach to solve that. 

Travis got pushed out cause he's also an idiot.    What did he do that was any good?  I guarantee the list of bad far outweigh the list of good.    He was a terrible GM who made more terrible draft decisions than good ones.  He gave out too much money to mediocre players.  He failed to pull the plug on trading bad contracts when tehy still had value.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not sure what this means.  We have been in the playoffs 3 years in a row including making the ECF and haven't paid the tax yet.  The team is now on a run of shedding "core" players two seasons in a row to avoid the tax and doing that every year isn't going to help us win.

Core players include Dre and JC.. two of which I would consider overpaid, underperforming non-assets.

• Like 1

Salary dump + exceptions means Ayton / CC swap may be back in play.

Phoenix desperately needs assets to put around their core while needed to drop salary.  Hawks have 4 non guaranteed contracts on the books, a few draft assets to package with Clint for Ayton.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Salary dump + exceptions means Ayton / CC swap may be back in play.

Phoenix desperately needs assets to put around their core while needed to drop salary.  Hawks have 4 non guaranteed contracts on the books, a few draft assets to package with Clint for Ayton.

I desperately don't want us to pursue Ayton ... I think he is a real negative for us

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I have moved from being more interested in Ayton's upside to being more scared of his downside at this point.  His effort in the playoffs the last two seasons really soured me on him.

Yes, for sure. I'm scared to think of the headlines if Ayton is in Atlanta on the same contract with the same behavior. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Yes, for sure. I'm scared to think of the headlines if Ayton is in Atlanta on the same contract with the same behavior. 

Ah, you know they'll just blame it on ...  you know who.

I can see it now, 'not even former top pick wants to play hard for YKW'.  Meanwhile we'll be all like, 'man, he was loafing in PHX for 4 years!  Dafuq!' 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

You writing an article? That's an oddly specific line of questioning.

7f2m.gif

I think it is actually a fair question.  The Hawks preached these things when they drafted Kobe as big motivating factors.  We've seen some articles about how Landry wants low ego, highly motivated players.  Adding Ayton does seem like it would run completely contrary to those reports.

image.png

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I agree with anyone doubting Ressler and the reports, including my own going back to last season, that said Ressler will pay the LT and has authorized the FO to go  into the LT. I share those doubts. I will repeat what I have been told and you have seen other sources state: Ressler will pay the LT and the FO can go into it.

I still will only believe it when I see it. If we actually use all that TPE to get a guy to come in then we know he was serious.

If you don't pay the LT in today's game you aren't serious about winning let alone trying to win a title.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

Had to go take a walk to blow off some steam!

my Knicks roommates were laughing at me because of this trade!

this hawks regime doesn’t deserve our loyalty when they pull moves like this.

Tell em kg said they can kiss your whole a**.  Their team ain't done jack sh*t since Kennedy was in office.  Last time their team won some sh*t, their best player became a congressman, retired, and died.

You know how old a muthaf*cker gotta be to retire from congress.... then die!?

Wait, is Bill Bradley ded?  Ah, either way, they can kiss your whole a**.  Mine too. 

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Ayton hasn't performed better but there are concerns from my end about Clint's long term health, size, post defense, effectiveness against bigger bigs.

You said a mouthful here.  Capela appears to be aging like warm milk.  He seems to be coasting to try and be healthy at season's end, which is why I hoped we would simply flip his and OO's role/minutes going forward.  Trading him while he still has value could be the better alternative.

• Like 3

• Admin
13 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Ayton is a big, offensive threat we don't have.  He is also able to operate outside the lane.  If you can believe it, our offense gets miles better with him on the floor because he can step out farther than the 5 feet Clint could.  Way more room for Trae/DJM to operate, room for cutters if he's the Center and every bit as terrifying in a lob situation.  Offensively, we could easily be tops in the NBA with a little bit of 3 point shooting.

Defensively he's physically bigger than Clint. Clint = better help defense against penetration.  Ayton = no longer just getting abused by every big bruiser.  Ayton's physical size and ability to slide his feet means much less movement on defense, length to cover/recover on pick n roll. He's not perfect and if we acquired him we'd be banking on change of scenery, maturity.  

Like everyone I have motor questions. But I also know Clint has missed an average of 15 games per season the last 3 years, all of which have affected our win %, playoff positioning.  Clint misses on average 18% of games. Ayton hasn't performed better but there are concerns from my end about Clint's long term health, size, post defense, effectiveness against bigger bigs.

More then just maturity is needed ... he is lazy.  He gives up on plays and puts forth very little effort on either end.  He has the talent but I don't think it will be realized.   He is a horrid defender and he has a really bad attitude too.  I think it will not help this team.   Also, hurts OO's progress as once again he is stuck on the bench.

17 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Ayton is a big, offensive threat we don't have.  He is also able to operate outside the lane.  If you can believe it, our offense gets miles better with him on the floor because he can step out farther than the 5 feet Clint could.  Way more room for Trae/DJM to operate, room for cutters if he's the Center and every bit as terrifying in a lob situation.  Offensively, we could easily be tops in the NBA with a little bit of 3 point shooting.

Defensively he's physically bigger than Clint. Clint = better help defense against penetration.  Ayton = no longer just getting abused by every big bruiser.  Ayton's physical size and ability to slide his feet means much less movement on defense, length to cover/recover on pick n roll. He's not perfect and if we acquired him we'd be banking on change of scenery, maturity.  

Like everyone I have motor questions. But I also know Clint has missed an average of 15 games per season the last 3 years, all of which have affected our win %, playoff positioning.  Clint misses on average 18% of games. Ayton hasn't performed better but there are concerns from my end about Clint's long term health, size, post defense, effectiveness against bigger bigs.

I last her that Ayton to Atlanta is not happening. What possibly happened that changed it. 

• Like 1