• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

16 minutes ago, JTB said:

Right I’m aware of that but even Quinn acknowledged there were some great things he did and some things he could have improved on but it’s all about what’s available on the roster.

I just don’t think we should try to mimic a team that constantly failed in the playoffs.

Quin had them in the top 3 of the west. I wouldn't say they failed. They just ran out of assets and realized rebuilding is the next step. 

This now makes sense why Atlanta is targeting young 2s who can spot at 3 for Capela. Now it makes sense. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This now makes sense why Atlanta is targeting young 2s who can spot at 3 for Capela. Now it makes sense.

Can you elaborate more on this because I’m thoroughly confused about what our front office is thinking.

I know we targeted Green and Hardy from Dallas, but that was before the JC trade.

I guess this means you still think Cap gets moved?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ShooterSays said:

Can you elaborate more on this because I’m thoroughly confused about what our front office is thinking.

I know we targeted Green and Hardy from Dallas, but that was before the JC trade.

I guess this means you still think Cap gets moved?

Same …I feel like we are crowed at the 2.

unless Murray or Bogi is going to be moved I don’t get why we would add more “young 2s”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

Do we really need more young 2s? 

we have Bogi & AJ who can spot up for 3s and potentially KB.

I would think It would make more sense for Capela to be shopped for 3s & 4s after the Collins trade.

We literally asked Dallas for Hardy or Josh Green. 

2 hours ago, Wretch said:

Juicy indeed...

We are past the point of rebuilding.  Trying to put a competitive team out there was the right move and I'm happy for it.

I also think this is a good time to double-down on what I keep saying about potential: there's an expiration date on it.  If we're not careful, we'll end up middling again with 1st round exits, late draft picks, and sh!t offers for talent we've held onto for too long.  It's good that we want to move the needle, but I don't want to see us trying to do that by trimming the fat, dumping talent, and digging through the NBA "bargain bin."

I'd rather see us swing for the fences and whiff than play it safe holding onto all of our assets for middling results.

I’d at least like to give those young assets a chance with a real coach and real system, because they have had neither to this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

While this one is a long shot, don't count put Rudy Gobert. Atlanta has had talks with Minnesota about his earlier before the draft. Just don't count him out. At the end of the day. Quin still has a special place in his heart for Rudy. 

Quin also realizes that you can’t have sustained success in the modern NBA with a center who can’t guard on the perimeter.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I believe they see the 2/3 as interchangeable like Bud Hawks. That's why Dre could be had. 

Ah ok.

if they see it interchangeable that makes a lot more sense.

personally the only player in my opinion that can even come close to playing 2 & 3 currently on the roster is Hunter so that would be interesting if they did see it interchangeable 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Quin also realizes that you can’t have sustained success in the modern NBA with a center who can’t guard on the perimeter.  

Why does this talking point only come up with reference to Gobert?  Gobert guards frontcourt players on the perimeter just fine.  If you're asking him to defend guards on the perimeter then no, he cannot do that very effectively, just like every center in the league with the exception of maybe Bam and guys that get run at the 5 like Draymond or Siakam.  Even still, Gobert recovers really well when he gets blown by and still contests shots around the rim.  He's an elite defender.

4 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Ayton does not fit anything that our FO is saying they are prioritizing going forward. This “Hawks DNA” buzz phrase about guys who want to be coached, are in love with the game, etc…

I just don’t see how Landry can preach that if he tries to bring in Ayton.

Different environment changes players but I’ll save my breath on the Ayton argument. I’ve spent too much of my time trying to defend the new era mindset.

I believe some team out there is going to get Aytons all once he’s truly apart of the offense and that team is going to be lucky to have an extremely capable 2 way center .

1 minute ago, JTB said:

Ah ok.

if they see it interchangeable that makes a lot more sense.

personally the only player in my opinion that can even come close to playing 2 & 3 currently on the roster is Hunter so that would be interesting if they did see it interchangeable 

But remember, Bud doesn't use his wings like most coaches. Neither did Quin in Utah. He never had a big wing in Utah. That said, I just wonder how he gonna tap into Trae. Trae really has to adjust his game to make all of this work. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I believe they see the 2/3 as interchangeable like Bud Hawks. That's why Dre could be had. 

Ayton name was told to me that he wasn't on the Hawks radar. I even mentioned it before the draft. 

Good.

4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Why does this talking point only come up with reference to Gobert?  Gobert guards frontcourt players on the perimeter just fine.  If you're asking him to defend guards on the perimeter then no, he cannot do that very effectively, just like every center in the league with the exception of maybe Bam and guys that get run at the 5 like Draymond or Siakam.

Gobert is actually good at switching too. The issue with Utah was they put 5 guards in the lineup and knew without Conley who was out, Utah can't create for Gobert so they played 5 out and just took Mitchell, Bogey, and their other guards 1v1 and scored and when Gobert tried to go back to the paint, they just passed it to Mann for a 3. It was cheesy shit. You can't do that shit to us with OO on the court and Trae creating for Gobert with a guard on him. We will score everytime. 

Edited by NBASupes

31 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who do you have in mind as the serious acquisition to give that TPE to? 

Just gonna go with Ayton, but have not researched targets.  

Last time Ressler was in a position to shop he got Bogi and Gallo.  He buys when he can buy.

Huerter made no sense to keep when you could get a first rounder.  Y’all said Murray isn’t worth $32M/year, but wanted to pay the backup SGs $32M.  You offload redundant talent for assets.  

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

But remember, Bud doesn't use his wings like most coaches. Neither did Quin in Utah. He never had a big wing in Utah. That said, I just wonder how he gonna tap into Trae. Trae really has to adjust his game to make all of this work. 

yup I recall.

I think the issue I have with it is that Trae is not Mitchell weight size so building a defense around Trae is or should be considered slightly different. 
I can get behind Gobert trade but we still need big wing defenders even with Gobert cause of Trae size issues. So I don’t like the idea of potentially small 3s who can shoot it.

anyways on Trae adjusting his game…I believe he can build to it and that he will. So I’m not too concerned about it.

• Premium Member

For those of you that follow the league more, do you think Rudy Gay has a place in our rotation? His stats obviously reflect an older player getting 10-15 or so mins a game, but does he have any use other than a vet helping young guys learn the in and outs.