• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Landry Fields is interesting

NBASupes

His first three moves have been positive ones to be honest. 

The Bruno/Garrison trade for the scrubs and our picks was key. I liked it. Justin was hurting us, we needed young guys who were fine with their bench role. 

The Bey trade saved our bench and was the bright spot for the 2nd half of the season. 

The JC trade is rough value wise but with so many options at the 4 including OO if Capela is gone and we add a big with some range, you can make a case. While I hate to belittle JC to the damn RAPTOR, his was exceptionally low this year which I felt was more telling because if wasn't just impact stats, it was his damn production which we all know, JC is very capable of being productive. 

His draft philosophy is back to Danny Ferry land. He just scouts 100x better. Danny couldn't scout for shit. No matter if it's Cleveland or Atlanta, he was terrible. 

Personally, Travis eye and my eye were damn near identical. Whereas we are officially back to the Ferry era with Landry. A lot of Spurs DNA. Keen on developing players. Keen on building a culture. Keen on creating a positive identity. I wonder what changes will come to College Park. Austin Spurs really valued the Gleague and Landry was a big part of that. 

I liked the three picks. To me, the hot spot in this draft was 1-3 and 25-40 range. While Bufkin was a tier 4 mid end guy. I was happy he fell to us. While he brings so much to the table, I do expect an adjustment, even in Summer League. Gueye was a tier 5 guy but after really watching his film, he's a low end tier 4 in reality which means he's a steal. This draft had a lot of guys I liked in that 25-40 range. 

14 guys I counted that I am hopeful on in that range. After that, just 4. 

Getting Gueye is massive. 

Lundy is a typical 2nd round pick for us. The question is, can we develop him like we did with Moose and Mike Scott or will he just be here for a season and elsewhere next season. I am not hopeful but this will be telling. None of the other Hawk 2nd rounders have ended up being much of anything. Same for the two-way guys and E10 guys. Travis really didn't value the Gleague, will Landry?

I am interested. So far, that's all I can say. I did like the Quin Synder hire. That was nice as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I see @KB21 in here. What do you think?

Thou shalt not besmirch the name of Danny Ferry!  LOL!

Landry comes from an organization that absolutely believes player development and using the G League.  In fact, Pops likes to have the G League team run the same stuff the big club runs.  Quin Snyder was the coach of the Austin Toros that actually approached Pop to see if they could run some different stuff, because they didn't have the ability to run what they ran in San Antonio.  

Dejounte developed early on in the G League.  Same with Keldon Johnson and Lonnie Walker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I think Lundy projects to be Skylar Mays 2.0, impact wise. Hopefully he’ll be more than that, but I’m not counting on it. 

It's all about development. Teams who do it players develop, teams who don't players don't develop. Under Nate, it was hard finding one player who was getting better year after year. 

One thing I like about Fields is he's a big value of skill. All three, Bufkin, Lundy, and Gueye have a high level of skills. All three are capable of putting the ball on the deck and three level scoring. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

@NBASupes Kobe and Gueye just don’t have the metrics I trust.  They both played on mediocre teams as far as I can see so these individualized metrics should be explosive.  Here’s the WS/40 and points above team rating for recent Hawks draftees in their final collegiate campaigns:

John .256 (+18)

OO .251 (+28)

Dre .237 (+14)

Bruno .214 (+17)

Trae .201 (+3)

Skylar .190 (+11)

AJ .180 (+9)

Dorsey .178 (+14)

Bembry .174 (+5)

Shareef .174 (+11)

Tyrese .168 (+2)

Kevin .165 (+7)

Mouhamed Gueye .152 (+5)

Kobe Bufkin .148 (+8)

Taurean Prince .148 (-4)

Cam Reddish .113 (-18)

You know I don’t watch a lick of college nor highlight reels of it.  Had I been drafting all these players (including John) would be Hawks using this simple methodology:

Brunson 

Halliburton

JJJ

Robert Williams 

Santi Aldama (which would’ve been a mistake over Jalen potential-wise but still a solid rotation guy)

Cam Johnson 

Walker Kessler 

Through trading John (a long ass time ago) I would then fill out the roster with Delon, Bogi, some Ingles/ Slo-Mo type vet, and a developmental two way wing mined out of the rough heat style (think Caleb Martin). And no I’m not debating anyone on the validity of that team my owner would pay the taxes and they would kick an excessive amount of ass.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

@NBASupes Kobe and Gueye just don’t have the metrics I trust.  They both played on mediocre teams as far as I can see so these individualized metrics should be explosive.  Here’s the WS/40 and points above team rating for recent Hawks draftees:

John .256 (+18)

OO .251 (+28)

Dre .237 (+14)

Bruno .214 (+17)

Trae .201 (+3)

Skylar .190 (+11)

AJ .180 (+9)

Dorsey .178 (+14)

Bembry .174 (+5)

Shareef .174 (+11)

Tyrese .168 (+2)

Kevin .165 (+7)

Mouhamed Gueye .152 (+5)

Kobe Bufkin .148 (+8)

Taurean Prince .148 (-4)

Cam Reddish .113 (-18)

You know I don’t watch a lick of college nor highlight reels of it.  Had I been drafting all these players (including John) would be Hawks using this simple methodology:

Brunson 

Halliburton

JJJ

Robert Williams 

Santi Aldama (which would’ve been a mistake over Jalen potential-wise but still a solid rotation guy)

Cam Johnson 

Walker Kessler 

Through trading John (a long ass time ago) I would then fill out the roster with Delon, Bogi, some Ingles/ Slo-Mo type vet, and a developmental two way wing mined out of the rough heat style (think Caleb Martin). And no I’m not debating anyone on the validity of that team my owner would pay the taxes and they would kick an excessive amount of ass.

You always ride with the metrics kings. Sometimes it's a hit, sometimes a miss. Generally, they are on winning teams. 

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/platform/amp/2018/2/17/17010774/hawks-university-atlanta-player-development-mike-budenholzer

This is what I feel like we are getting back to.  Hawks University, where players will develop and play team basketball.  Not just young players but also vets who can take another step up in their production within the system.  

• Like 1

An old adage:  "You can't teach an old dog new tricks!"   OH, Yes you can.  All old dogs aren't stupid.

Older pro players can still learn new stuff.  Prime example:  Falcons have a defensive player with many years experience.  An all star.  He has told us that, coming to Atlanta this season and meeting our new defensive coach, he has learned some new stuff.  

There is no reason to believe that The current veteran NBA players on the Hawks roster, whether right now or future ones who are here when we open the season, are too old and set in their ways that they can't be taught.

I'm 86 and I'm still learning new stuff all the time.  When you cease learning you're going to go down hill fast.  I hope and trust that each of you are still learning.  Don't sell our veteran players short.  They can still learn.  If they can't, get them out of here as soon as possible.  Their brain is dead or almost dead!!

😉

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yeah we're basically back to the Bud days coaching and development wise.  But Quin is a lot more personable so that's good.   

Moving on from JC i understand but we'll see if there is any real organizational changes in the next few months.   Recent history tells us we'll sign some mediocre vets and hope for 'internal improvement' and probably have another average season.  I hope i'm wrong.  

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Wondering if Tony didn't learn his lesson after the past 18 months.

Feels like we've said that a bunch of times. 

• Like 2