• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

i'm not saying he knows anything.  Just that he and likely Trae are wanting and expecting this move.  

This.  He’s sending a message.  I even thought you could interpret it as Hunter and Jalen can be traded, I want DJM, Capela, and Trae playing with Siakam.

22 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not intending to criticize you.  I just wanted to point out that a huge TPE is not necessarily going to happen in the event that he doesn't want to resign here.

I would just say that if we traded for him and he left that it might be in everyone's interest to work that out as a S&T rather than a simple free agent contract in which case we would get a TPE roughly equal to the difference between the salaries (if any).  Since Siakam would presumably be getting a massive raise on  his next contract, that increases the likelihood that the it could be quite large assuming the team was substantially under the cap such as Philadelphia will be.

It is a good point.  Doesn’t it contradict the idea that a Siakam rental means we get nothing back?  The most likely scenario is there would be a trade of some kind.

If that is true, then Siakam might be seen as more valuable as trade bait than Hunter and Patty Mills staying with the team.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

It is a good point.  Doesn’t it contradict the idea that a Siakam rental means we get nothing back?  The most likely scenario is there would be a trade of some kind.

If that is true, then Siakam might be seen as more valuable as trade bait than Hunter and Patty Mills staying with the team.  

The return on trades like that historically are not very good unless the team who wants the player can't sign them with their cap space.  So you should assume you get almost nothing back from Philadephia since they have the cap room to simply sign him outright.  The play with them is that if they want to use some of that cap space on other players the SNT becomes attractive.  But they aren't going to give a lot when they could just sign Siakam outright and then use exceptions to sign free agents above the cap line.  This is the Kevin Durant to Golden State scenario where they just signed him outright and OKC got nothing.

If you are trading Siakam to a team like Phoenix, then they are going to give more value because they don't have the cap space to sign him.  Then you should be comparing what it took to get Siakam against that potential return.  Did you give up AJ, a first round pick, Hunter and Mills?  If so, was that worth what you could extract from the other team? What if you didn't have to give up the first round pick?  Etc.  It gets messy trying to project that future return in the event that Siakam doesn't resign.

The fact that Philadelphia is the obvious and rumored place that Siakam might go and that they have the outright cap space to sign him definitely weighs heavily on the idea that a Siakam rental means a de minimus return.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Trae's dad is just a fan.. It is what it is

I'm sure we've tried different variations of trades to get Siakam or OG, it's just we aren't willing to overpay Masai.

He's a Trae fan. All of his wants and decisions have been detrimental to the Hawks but hopeful for Trae. He wanted JC to be paid. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I wish Siakam wanted to stay here then I’d be fully on board with this trade.

i wish the money would entice him to stay since we’d own his bird right but shit I don’t blame him if he wants to go to Philly to play with Embiid and Maxey 😂…no offense to my hawks but I would make that move too!

52 minutes ago, terrell said:

Oops. 

John Collins stock and team value is even worse in Utah than it was here in Atl….. it is a miracle that Utah took him off our hands.......

https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/jazz-john-collins-trade-biggest-regret-2023

LOL we finally pulled a fast one on Ainge and everyone thought we were just salary dumping LMAO

I'm so glad he is gone

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

LOL we finally pulled a fast one on Ainge and everyone thought we were just salary dumping LMAO

I'm so glad he is gone

He was dumb to give a 2nd 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I'm so glad he is gone

We were salary dumping.  He is still a very useful player in a team's rotation.  Just got badly overpaid as we bid against ourselves.  

Not at all shocked that a team that is playing him at SF is finding that isn't a perfect match.  I wondered before the year started how that was going to work with them already having a PF and C.

He is a salary issue more than anything because there are lots of players with limitations in NBA rotations.  They just don't get paid like Schlenk paid JC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

I'm so glad he is gone

Yeah, Utah would be so much better off with Rudy Gay and a second rounder.  Those are things that would put Utah over the top., if only they had hung on to them.  They could have afforded to buy Rudy Gay a walker.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:er: care to explain?

Murray signed July 6th.

The Siakam trades got full steam after (and DJ wasn't trade eligible).

The closest rumored deal was Siakam for Hunter, Mills, AJ, pick.

Everyone was saying at the time that DJ took a team friendly deal so the Hawks could trade for another star to add to him and Trae.

So not understanding this take.

He-ur maybee this cayan hep.  Trae acted like he wuz all excited to get together and play wif Murray.  Now it seems as though Trae and  his daddy are ready to unload Murray.  Murray took a team frenlee deal cuz he thought he wuz gonna be a part a sumthin grate. Ah guess the thrill haz worn off for Trae.  

Edited by Watchman
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, AHF said:

We were salary dumping.  He is still a very useful player in a team's rotation.  Just got badly overpaid as we bid against ourselves.  

Not at all shocked that a team that is playing him at SF is finding that isn't a perfect match.  I wondered before the year started how that was going to work with them already having a PF and C.

He is a salary issue more than anything because there are lots of players with limitations in NBA rotations.  They just don't get paid like Schlenk paid JC.

TS didn't want to pay JC. Trae and his daddy did who by proxy is with who?

I'll let you guess

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, terrell said:

Oops. 

John Collins stock and team value is even worse in Utah than it was here in Atl….. it is a miracle that Utah took him off our hands.......

https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/jazz-john-collins-trade-biggest-regret-2023

Yes, this tracks.  Some were mad we didnt get a first rounder in that trade— I was happy we didnt have to give one up

• Like 1

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Yeah, Utah would be so much better off with Rudy Gay and a second rounder.  Those are things that would put Utah over the top., if only they had hung on to them.  They could have afforded to buy Rudy Gay a walker.

Would you be happy with a starting 5 of JC caliber players? Thats the argument youre making right now— quality matters when youre paying a guy $25M the next three years

• Like 4

Y’all gettin ahead of yourselves. Chill ain’t nuttin happenin soon. Sit tight doh 😖 

-Outsiders (don’t even need the THE, you know who we is and what are %’s are against you know who or whom I don’t give a ..)

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Would you be happy with a starting 5 of JC caliber players? Thats the argument youre making right now— quality matters when youre paying a guy $25M the next three years

Would you want a starting 5 of Trae caliber players?  How about Bey?  How about Hunter?  How about OO?  None of them can carry a team any more than JC can.  Why single him out?

I would take Collins right now over Hunter bad salary and all. Move JJ to 3 and Collins to 4. Trade Capela and find a Brook Lopez type.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Attach Lauri and we can discuss taking JC back…

I'm not suggesting we take JC back, but these people who belittle him probably couldn't make a layup if they were guarded by a 95 year old grandma using a walker.  

• Haha 1