• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Makes me feel like Minny already told ATL they need expirings and picks for KAT in the offseason.  It would make sense to send them OO, bunch of picks, and expiring salaries to help them with cap flexibility.  But maybe Im giving our FO too much credit thinking ahead like that 

Bunch of picks from where?

IIRC, @Sothron says Minny is interested in Murray as their offseason plan, not trading Murray for an expiring now so we can send to Minny. 

Next season DJ costs half as much as KAT.

• Like 2

I have serious doubts that Atlanta and NYK would be the only teams jumping into the KAT trade market if/when he becomes available.  
Color me skeptical, but I just don’t trust the FO to get their first choice (see Saikam, Paskal: Summer of 2023), and outside of Murray, IDK if we have enough assets to beat every other potential offer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

We aren’t going after KAT,

Supes just wants to post it into existence.. we’re up to 2,433 posts and counting

We may go after him but, if it happens, it won't be because of anything HotSupes said.  As you said, he's wishin'.  Nothing wrong with wishin, as long as we recognize it as such. 

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bunch of picks from where?

IIRC, @Sothron says Minny is interested in Murray as their offseason plan, not trading Murray for an expiring now so we can send to Minny. 

Next season DJ costs half as much as KAT.

The picks would come from a Murray trade -- I do not know what Minny is looking for as I don't have connections with the FO.  I am suggesting different ways we might be able to work something out for KAT, if that is a direction they'd like to go.  In that scenario, they could retain Conley (or use the picks we send them to get a different PG) and swap KAT for OO and expirings and stay under the second apron.

44 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Minny trading for equal or a little less salary would be very beneficial for them because it would happen before KATs extension kicks in which adds $13M to his annual pay, so it would be a savings for them in the next season avoiding that increase.  They could also request expirings as well like Patty Mills to help stay under the second apron.

The idea theyre going to “do right” by KAT or appease the fan base makes no sense because they will not be able to keep the same roster.  It wont be possible to retain the squad they have now, and it makes waayyyy more sense to trade KAT than anyone else on that roster, including Reid who likes Supes said is on a very good value deal.  And this all lines up with what Sothron has reported and he has a TWolves source.

So are you saying that they should trade KAT now?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

We may go after him but, if it happens, it won't be because of anything HotSupes said.  As you said, he's wishin'.  Nothing wrong with wishin, as long as we recognize it as such. 

I wished Connor Bedard to the Blackhawks into existence for a year and a half.   

It happens, dreams do come true

-Sensei Lavar Ball

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

As I said yesterday, Naz Reid is the guy they may move, if they are that worried about the 2nd apron.   Naz is actually an important piece to their team, with his ability to stretch the floor from the 4/5 spot, and be "KAT-lite".

I just don't think that the 2nd apron is going to be the end all deterrent that people think it will, as long as teams don't go well into the 2nd apron.  Every time the NBA puts something in place to try to promote "competitive financial balance", the owners who don't give a damn about it, find ways to still do whatever they want to do.

If Minnesota makes an attempt to move Naz Reid, look for a move like Reid + 2nd rd for Kelly Olynyk.  They might even offer Utah a 1st rd pick, just to sweeten the pot to swap guys who are similar offensive players.

Olynyk is a UFA at the end of the season, and if they let him walk, that reduces their cap hit by 12 million.  At that point, you can use the vet min to round out your roster + maybe add one more low cost vet player to keep with their core team.   It keeps you under the 2nd Apron, and Minny can "run it back", if they made a significant playoff run.

Also, Minnesota will potentially be a 2nd apron team for only 1 year.  Tax threshhold goes from 172 mill to 189 mill in 2025 - 26.  If the T-Wolves do nothing, they take the big hit next season, but get immediate relieve in 2026.

image.png.b69a8b08f31dc3c1bb764e12ad52c9f5.png

My predictions if Wolves make the WC Finals or further:

• Wolves deal Reed to Utah for Kelly Olynyk before the trade deadline
  • They let all UFA's fall off the books
  • Wolves then re-sign Mike Conley at the vet min
  • Wolves sign a "Bruno-like" low cost center to replace Olynyk
  • They round out the team with their 1st rd pick, minimum contracts and 2-way players ( ala what Phoenix did this season )
  • Wolves go into next season as 1st apron tax payers only, and run it back.

I LOVE the strategy of trying to use DJ in the offseason to get KAT.  But Minnesota is by no means dead in the water.  They have a way out of this, only if their new ownership is willing to run it back with a championship caliber squad and if they're willing to pay some tax in the 1st apron.

A 1st round Minnesota flame out is what all Hawks fans need to root for.

There is no way Conley signs for wet minimum. He's keeping that team together and it's like an insult to offer him a wet minimum. Without Conley they're barely a play-in team

6 minutes ago, Nash said:

There is no way Conley signs for wet minimum. He's keeping that team together and it's like an insult to offer him a wet minimum. Without Conley they're barely a play-in team

Conley is the top FA player at PG by a mile. Conley getting the full MLE 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Yep. 

For Minny and Atlanta, the best time to trade for KAT is during the draft. It's bad to break up the team now for Minny and it will still count under 2024. 

While this trade kinda sucks for us as we want to keep OO no matter what. This is The most ideal for Minnesota. Atlanta would rather move Dre or Capela instead by a mile. 

fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_1-18-2024_3-32-30PM.png

I don't think Minne would want OO with Dejounte if they are trying to get out the second Apron and fill out their roster.  OO will be at $14 million and Murray at about $26 million next season.  

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

are we willing to put all our eggs in that one basket though? then he ends up in NYK?

I hope so. What can NY offer that fits the Minnesota roster better than Murray AND provides the cost savings they may need?

7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

If it's all about being under the 1st apron. This would be their best route. This would allow you to give Mike Conley the full MLE. 

fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_1-18-2024_5-33-52PM.png

image.thumb.png.2215c78729d7b0e068e66c85f2377d34.png

I haven't figured out picks, but I believe Minne will want some expirings and picks.  Patti, Murray and Saddiq gives Minne the most flexibility.  Not saying the above is the trade from other teams, just the Hawks to Minne part.

6 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Makes me feel like Minny already told ATL they need expirings and picks for KAT in the offseason.  It would make sense to send them OO, bunch of picks, and expiring salaries to help them with cap flexibility.  But maybe Im giving our FO too much credit thinking ahead like that 

I think it'll make more sense to send them Murray, Bey, and Mills and some picks. One from a Capela trade if possible.  

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1