• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

When we drafted Cam and Hunter, I was hoping at least one of them would turn out to be on defense what Trae is to the offense.  Said we needed the Yang to Trae's Ying. Still waiting

Agreed. Both had enormous defensive upside and looked great.

Problem is, both thought they were the next star and deserved the ball as opposed to say, a Herb Jones and Murphy type of teammates who are young but embrace being role players.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Thad Young would have been nice a few years ago.

We can't even get the mid level guys in their useful years around here, smh. 

For some reason nobody wants to come here and play.  

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

I don't understand these two statements.  If every team wants Trae, shouldn't his status around the league be great?  I don't want him to demand a trade so not arguing about it, just not sure I understand how the first statement leads to the second.  

Every team doesn't want him. Half of the league does but only 3 see him the way we do. A Franchise player. Spurs are one of those teams. 

Just because you don't see him like we do doesn't mean you don't want him. Some teams want LaVine but don't see him like Chicago sees him. 

Murray is a prime example, everyone wants him but only teams who see him like you do really want him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Agreed. Both had enormous defensive upside and looked great.

Problem is, both thought they were the next star and deserved the ball as opposed to say, a Herb Jones and Murphy type of teammates who are young but embrace being role players.

Ya'll love Herb Jones but he's no where as good you think. Nowhere. He shouldn't be put ahead of Dre. If he was on this team, you would probably hate him.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

A number of things broke the Hawks way for sure, but I can't get down with calling the ECF run a fluke.  That team had some elements that the Hawks haven't had since.

Extreme Depth

Prime Capela

Instead of a marathon, the season was a sprint which helped us as teams couldn't adjust to Nate's changes. 

A big part of this was many of our key players were on rookie deals. Sadly, we are past that era for us. 

That team had a lot in its favor. No Mitchell Robinson. Danny Green got hurt in game 3. A lot went our way. Almost did against Milwaukee as well but we couldn't capitalize. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Ya'll love Herb Jones but he's no where as good you think. Nowhere. He shouldn't be put ahead of Dre. If he was on this team, you would probably hate him.

This is my feeling too although I am concerned that Dre's knees will be a constant issue for him. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Packfill said:

To me the ECF Hawks team is looking like a fluke.  They got hot for two to three months and have not been able to replicate that for years now - in fact they have arguably been getting worse every year since. 

Trae is an amazing offensive engine but it seems like the team needs a defensive engine to make this work consistently (similar to how GS had Draymond to anchor and orchestrate the defense while Curry could drive the offense).

There is only one player that comes to mind and @JayBirdHawk and many others hated it. Rudy Gobert. Sadly, his impact isn't available this year. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

This is my feeling too although I am concerned that Dre's knees will be a constant issue for him. 

I think people underestimate how hard it is to defend on a Trae Young team even if Trae has substantially improved on that end. He's still terrible at the big things he simply can't control. 

Rudy is the only player I know can make up for it. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Expect a lot of BS till the Hawks make a major deal. At the end of the day, teams around the league are licking their chops when it comes to the Hawks. Until the Hawks do something that changes that, it's gonna be the same Ole, same Ole. 

Hawks are in a tight spot right now.   They are not going to be competitive until they can bring in some good bench role players, getting rid on Holiday was as major mistake along with Gallinari.  Gallinari carried us off the bench in a lot of games.  DJ is not a true PG but more of a combo.   The bench with the exception of Bogi is mostly trash except maybe Bruno as of late.   This summer is crucial for this franchise, there is not a lot on a big time front they can do because they have devalued DJ and it's going to end up like JC.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

It’s not about Herb Jones.

Dre is a better player overall. Not the point that was being made.

We lack a defensive star/playmaker and that should have been both Dre and Cam (Wingstop, remember?)

Remember the Mikal Bridges debate? Same thing. He mastered a role that was needed. We drafted long wings to flank Trae and yet here we are, clamoring for more size and defense.

Dre could be a defensive superstar. He could have that kind of impact.

But he is not, and he does not.

He is good. He could be great.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

No one is even a little interested in Gallo? I know, I know, defense blah blah blah... Fact is doesn't matter which 35 year old vet we get from the February waiver wire none are turning around our 28th ranked defense or likely moving the needle in any significant way on that end. Gallo can get hot a win you a game or two. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

It’s not about Herb Jones.

Dre is a better player overall. Not the point that was being made.

We lack a defensive star/playmaker and that should have been both Dre and Cam (Wingstop, remember?)

Remember the Mikal Bridges debate? Same thing. He mastered a role that was needed. We drafted long wings to flank Trae and yet here we are, clamoring for more size and defense.

Dre could be a defensive superstar. He could have that kind of impact.

But he is not, and he does not.

He is good. He could be great.

Mikal Bridges was always better than Dre

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

No one is even a little interested in Gallo? I know, I know, defense blah blah blah... Fact is doesn't matter which 35 year old vet we get from the February waiver wire none are turning around our 28th ranked defense or likely moving the needle in any significant way on that end. Gallo can get hot a win you a game or two. 

I'd love to have him back.  I doubt he wants to come here.  I'm hoping he lands somewhere and gets to play in the finals.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

A number of things broke the Hawks way for sure, but I can't get down with calling the ECF run a fluke.  That team had some elements that the Hawks haven't had since.

People have short memories. That Hawks team when it was rolling was a sight to behold... also after Nate took over they finished that stretch of season with a 12th ranked drtg I believe. I can't find the sources but I remember seeing it on a telecast late in the season that under Nate the Hawks had the #1 (or #2) ranked offense and the 12th ranked defense. That's championship caliber. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

People have short memories. That Hawks team when it was rolling was a sight to behold... also after Nate took over they finished that stretch of season with a 12th ranked drtg I believe. I can't find the sources but I remember seeing it on a telecast late in the season that under Nate the Hawks had the #1 (or #2) ranked offense and the 12th ranked defense. That's championship caliber. 

One caveat though... the league right now is so much better than it was back then. Hawks have kind of treaded water in their team building while the rest of the league has been loading up. 

• Like 2