• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@NBASupes. The deadline date for the expiration of the JC TPE is July 8th. So after the draft and the start of FAcy. That's good for us.

Good job confirming that. It didn't make sense to do it under the old salary cap

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I wanted Haliburton over OO.  Some people agreed.  Some said we didn't need to duplicate Trae.  I just think he was the best player available and would have given us the DJ role on a rookie deal and we could have then focused our trades on front court.  That was a miss, in my eyes.  

Ya you were one I recall. Some others. Gramps loved him. I love OO but Hali turned into something above expectations for many. I mean he shouldn’t have dropped pass the 7th pick where the Suns took Culver I think.

Passing on him for us gave us a pass because we had Trae but I’d take a Trae/Hali pairing right now no matter the defensive liability. 

Just now, Spud2nique said:

Suns took Culver I think.

My bad that was 2019. But whomever picked 7th after us needed to take Hali.

PISTONS! Killian!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I didn't, I wanted Toppin or Deni and would settle on Ball, OO, or Edwards, lmao. You and Pops wanted Haliburton and was right. Travis wanted Hali too. 

To be fair, I didn't think or know he was going to be as great as he's been with Indy this year.  I just thought he would be a solid starter and would solve the secondary playmaker problem we had back then.  

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

JJ pick really hasn't gotten to the 2nd contract yet. JC at this stage looked like a better value than JJ and now he looks awful. Kevin was a hit. Even got us a 1st and he helped turned Sacramento into a playoff team. 

Yea JC was great early on but killed us on his second deal. Huerter was a good pick for sure 100%, kinda mismanaged him as an asset though, and currently, he is providing no  on-the-court value to us (indirectly), and hasn't since we traded him last year. JJ is the only slam dunk pick in since the Trae Young draft. That's pretty sad, and is the main reason we are where we are. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

JJ pick really hasn't gotten to the 2nd contract yet. JC at this stage looked like a better value than JJ and now he looks awful. Kevin was a hit. Even got us a 1st and he helped turned Sacramento into a playoff team. 

JC and Kevin both came in the Trae draft or before.  Both were hits.  Their second contracts have less to do with whether they were hits as draft picks and more to do with how we handled their RFA.  My statement was that JJ was the only "standout successful pick...after the 2018 draft."  I think that is absolutely the case career to date for everyone we picked.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

That's pretty sad, and is the main reason we are where we are. 

True.  But we haven't watched a lot of play from our latest draft crop.  I'm waiting, hoping they come through!

:smug:

• Like 2

Just now, Gray Mule said:

True.  But we haven't watched a lot of play from our latest draft crop.  I'm waiting, hoping they come through!

Same. I wanna see Gueye get burn 🔥 That dude is nice 👍 

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

That is probably because our latest draft crop hasn't played in the big leagues to a pretty remarkable degree.  Definite outliers.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yea JC was great early on but killed us on his second deal. Huerter was a good pick for sure 100%, kinda mismanaged him as an asset though, and currently, he is providing no  on-the-court value to us (indirectly), and hasn't since we traded him last year. JJ is the only slam dunk pick in since the Trae Young draft. That's pretty sad, and is the main reason we are where we are. 

It was a risk like Reddish but it worked unlike Reddish

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It was a risk like Reddish but it worked unlike Reddish

I don't mind some big swings like this.  Projecting development for 18 or 19 year olds is really difficult.  You'll have some hits and misses.  Obviously, the lower you can draft those guys the better since it hurts more to miss the higher the pick is.  

I still hate how it worked out with Reddish.  A SG with his size and skills could have been huge for this team.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

To your point....

2023 Draft.jpg

2022 Draft.jpg

The 2022 draft would look MUCH worse if it just gave AJ's minutes for this year instead of the cumulative minutes career to date.  I bet that Griffin was way higher last year and has fallen steadily all year this season as other guys get minutes and catch up and pass him.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

If we had any journalists out there, they would've asked these questions.  

"Uh Landry.... how yall plan on turnin' sh*t into sugar?" - kg 

Are you volunteering to be The Squawk reporter?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1