• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Describe the 2023-24 Season in ONE Word.

JayBirdHawk

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Gilmore was slow, plodding and won his nightly battles on strength and positioning.  When he came out of college, he had similar criticisms.  By the end of of his career he was so slow, his nickname was Rigor-artis. Edey is actually more athletic and 60lbs heavier, 2 inches taller.  Growing up a Bulls fan, I saw Gilmore at the middle and end of his career.  They are very similar players and despite being relatively clumsy, Gilmore would thrive today based on his dedication to footwork and positioning. Modern players don't really appreciate how useful that is. 

Thrive?  As a 10–15-minute sub that only plays in certain matchups.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

What do I get when I win?

Up to you guys if you want to bet but the most common one around here is control over the other person's avatar for a period of time.

I would think a month of something like:  "KB/Supes is the best scout on the Squawk" would be a nice way to resolve this debate.

@KB21 @NBASupes

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Up to you guys if you want to bet but the most common one around here is control over the other person's avatar for a period of time.

I would think a month of something like:  "KB/Supes is the best scout on the Squawk" would be a nice way to resolve this debate.

@KB21 @NBASupes

I'm in.

18 minutes ago, AHF said:

@KB21 @NBASupes

I say a "Supes/KB is my hero" avatar.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I say a "Supes/KB is my hero" avatar.

Unless the bet is weirdly structured, it is always up to the winner to pick but I think this is a perfect situation for one.

30 minutes ago, AHF said:

@KB21 @NBASupes

I am okay with the blank is the best scout on the Squawk. 

Not cool with the hero stuff. Too close to lucifer for my liking. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 12:06 PM, KB21 said:

The reason he holds the team back is the fact that he has no perimeter offensive game to speak of, and he cannot switch defensively.  He can hedge and show, but he can't switch and guard on the perimeter.  We need a big that can play on the perimeter offensively and also guard multiple positions defensively.  

Wait.  We have that big on the roster already, but we have too many fans who want to replace him because "He's too short to be a center."

He used to be a prime shot blocker.  Not any more.  He's not very intimidating anymore.

Edited by Watchman

On 4/16/2024 at 7:42 PM, KB21 said:

When your top 8 core players play only 16 games together, injuries can very clearly have an effect.  

It's not a well built roster. This year was not just some off year. This team has been getting worse for a number of years. This core wasn't very good last year either. Or the year before that.

It's time to move on from this roster. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

It's not a well built roster. This year was not just some off year. This team has been getting worse for a number of years. This core wasn't very good last year either. Or the year before that.

It's time to move on from this roster. 

Every move they tried to pull off failed.  No point in tanking when another team controls your picks.  
You have to trade for a better player/fit.  When your plan A and plan B fail then other plans could be desperation moves that make you worse off like trading Murray for scraps.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Every move they tried to pull off failed.  No point in tanking when another team controls your picks.  
You have to trade for a better player/fit.  When your plan A and plan B fail then other plans could be desperation moves that make you worse off like

Well, no matter if you tank or just do trades, my point is that you have to do more than minor changes. This team is too flawed in its construction. I think they should test Trae's value. Trae has been here forever, but the only notable run this team has had was very brief.  How long are people going to have  nostalgia for that brief time? JJ is the only player on the roster right now that feels like a long term value. Maybe DJ.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Well, no matter if you tank or just do trades, my point is that you have to do more than minor changes. This team is too flawed in its construction. I think they should test Trae's value. Trae has been here forever, but the only notable run this team has had was very brief.  How long are people going to have  nostalgia for that brief time? JJ is the only player on the roster right now that feels like a long term value. Maybe DJ.

Why do you think it was brief? 

Ownership/Front office didn't do anything to improve the team as a whole from then. You can't stay the same and expect better results, you can't have less overall talent and expect better results, you can't cut on court talent for less talent and expect better results. Between the front office changes, coaches changes and salary cutting while just fiddling around the edges - what's the expectation?

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why do you think it was brief? 

Ownership/Front office didn't do anything to improve the team as a whole from then. You can't stay the same and expect better results, you can't have less overall talent and expect better results, you can't cut on court talent for less talent and expect better results. Between the front office changes, coaches changes and salary cutting while just fiddling around the edges - what's the expectation?

My memory tells me that there were only a few minor changes following that season. I think the head coaching changed fueled a lot of that brief run. I don't think it was going to last. Especially since none of the players like Cam or Hunter really took off.

I don't think a team can or will build a team around Trae that will main success. Either you have to get someone that can be a true number one, or you have to deal him. You also have to have the right defensive talent around him.

It's a tough hill to climb for a competent ownership, near impossible for a bad one.

• Premium Member

Injured.

On top of everything, this team couldn't stay healthy. Our front court depth was trash before the season started with only Hunter, Bey, and Jalen capable of playing big minutes at 2 positions. I think we were almost always done one and often times down two. Then Capela and Okongwu rotated injury all season. Add in Trae's pinky and we didn't really have a shot. Roster reconstruction will be a major need this off season.

Shout out to Bogi for making it through an entire season healthy tough!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 4/16/2024 at 4:41 PM, macdaddy said:

And honestly we can't keep thinking that guys like Garrison, Vit, AJ, Forrest are good enough to be key players.  No offense to any of them they just aren't there right now.  That may change but the really good teams don't rely on them for big rotation minutes.  

Vit had just as much impact as Bey had imo

3 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

My memory tells me that there were only a few minor changes following that season. I think the head coaching changed fueled a lot of that brief run. I don't think it was going to last. Especially since none of the players like Cam or Hunter really took off.

I don't think a team can or will build a team around Trae that will main success. Either you have to get someone that can be a true number one, or you have to deal him. You also have to have the right defensive talent around him.

It's a tough hill to climb for a competent ownership, near impossible for a bad one.

We're still waiting for the TPE to put on a uniform and get out there and get us a championship.

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2024 at 8:06 AM, thecampster said:

You mean like Artis Gilmore?

Artis was great in his ABA and early NBA years.  The video above shows that he knew two important techniques that are almost lost arts now.  The jump hook and using the glass.  I'd also have to say that those shots he blocked in the video above showed he had some athleticism.  I remember reading that even though he was 7'2" he weighed only 240 lbs.  He had a 32" waist, so he wasn't some plodding slob, depending on girth to do his job.