• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Describe the 2023-24 Season in ONE Word.

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Lost

As in, lost season, or as in we look lost as a franchise.

And the amount of time lost to injury, the developmental time lost to injury, etc.

• Like 1

I'm going to disagree with anyone who says the organization as a whole is lost, considering the fact that the core group only had 16 games together this season.  Mistakes have been made, and a lot of this is due to the clean-up that is having to be done because of some bad contracts that Travis Schlenk agreed to during his tenure.  They went 9-7 in the 16 games that core group played together, which puts them on a 46-win trajectory.  Yes, that core group has some flaws, but individually, they have some quality players in that core group.  That core group has a lot of young guys as well, so there is still room for internal improvement with that group.  Outside of Capela, Bogi, and maybe Murray, we don't have anyone in that core group that has maxed out their ability and has no room for improvement.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, KB21 said:

I'm going to disagree with anyone who says the organization as a whole is lost, considering the fact that the core group only had 16 games together this season.  Mistakes have been made, and a lot of this is due to the clean-up that is having to be done because of some bad contracts that Travis Schlenk agreed to during his tenure.  They went 9-7 in the 16 games that core group played together, which puts them on a 46-win trajectory.  Yes, that core group has some flaws, but individually, they have some quality players in that core group.  That core group has a lot of young guys as well, so there is still room for internal improvement with that group.  Outside of Capela, Bogi, and maybe Murray, we don't have anyone in that core group that has maxed out their ability and has no room for improvement.  

We like our core!  Just kidding sort of.  I agree with what you said.  I'd just like to see some of this team flipped for better, more proven players.  I'm interested in maxing out Trae's prime years.  That starts with a deep playoff run next year.  Should have been this year but here we are. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I forgot to have you give the meaning of your word and use your word in a sentence 🤓.

Irina: Russian masterpiece
"That Irina sure does have huge tracks of land!"

Edited by warcore
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I can't see how any player they can take will play much in 2024/2025.  

I dont always agree with this viewpoint but this is true for our team currently.  It makes all the pining for upcoming draftees really strange.

Tim Duncan is not walking through that door .. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I dont always agree with this viewpoint but this is true for our team currently.  It makes all the pining for upcoming draftees really strange.

Tim Duncan is not walking through that door .. 

Some have convinced themselves that Zach Edey will walk through that door and be a 25 MPG starter and MVP candidate as a rookie.  

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Some have convinced themselves that Zach Edey will walk through that door and be a 25 MPG starter and MVP candidate as a rookie.  

Literally every other NBA decision maker sees him as probably a backup - otherwise, and especially as a non-NIL recipient, he'd already be in the league. 

The fact that Jokic defied all odds to become what he is has skewed people's viewpoints, I think.

He's the exception, not the rule.  You can't bank on that happening again. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The reality is that we are cap constrained on how we can add talent with the draft representing a low cost path, that there are impactful players in every draft and this could be the last draft we have for years so I think it is pretty natural that interest is higher than normal.

I don't think any of our avid draft prospect watchers doesn't have players they are excited about even if no two people view all the prospects the same way.

There is no Tim Duncan as in a prospect that was foreseeably a high impact rookie with a high floor and high ceiling who can walk in and push the team to an NBA championship as a rookie.  But there may be (and likely are) some guys like Derek Lively, Jaime Jaquez, Walker Kessler, Jalen Williams, etc. who are taken outside of the top 10 and are players who impact their teams rotation very early in their careers.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

If I hear Landry or Kyle say "we like our core" one time this offseason I'm gonna blow my state farm arena roof

:Korver: You don't want this smoke.  I'm 'bout that action, bawse. 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

You have never claimed that about him so I wouldn't take it as a comment on you.  Frankly, I think it is some clear hyperbole from KB that can more realistically be translated as "some scouts and posters here view him as being much better than I do and much better than other scouts with whom I agree."

1 minute ago, AHF said:

The reality is that we are cap constrained on how we can add talent with the draft representing a low cost path, that there are impactful players in every draft and this could be the last draft we have for years so I think it is pretty natural that interest is higher than normal.

I don't think any of our avid draft prospect watchers doesn't have players they are excited about even if no two people view all the prospects the same way.

There is no Tim Duncan as in a prospect that was foreseeably a high impact rookie with a high floor and high ceiling who can walk in and push the team to an NBA championship as a rookie.  But there may be (and likely are) some guys like Derek Lively, Jaime Jaquez, Walker Kessler, Jalen Williams, etc. who are taken outside of the top 10 and are players who impact their teams rotation very early in their careers.

I reasonable post. There are high end impacts in every draft that make a tremendous impact to wins and losses and we aren't talking about them as all stars or MVP candidates as rookies, just guys who can provide high end impact based on our current squad. 

Keep hating on Edey and eat your words later @KB21

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get all that.  As I've stated numerous times, AH, I'm an 'idea' guy.  You blokes are in implementation.

Just ... you know ... make it happen.  Mmkay, thanks. 

😉

Just now, NBASupes said:

I reasonable post. There are high end impacts in every draft that make a tremendous impact to wins and losses and we aren't talking about them as all stars or MVP candidates as rookies, just guys who can provide high end impact based on our current squad. 

Keep hating on Edey and eat your words later @KB21

You guys really... really need to set up a 'loser leaves town' bet.  Please. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get all that.  As I've stated numerous times, AH, I'm an 'idea' guy.  You blokes are in implementation.

Just ... you know ... make it happen.  Mmkay, thanks. 

😉

Fair enough.  So Landry here is my clear path to implementation:  Just make all the right picks.  

Few.  Glad I've done my part.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Literally every other NBA decision maker sees him as probably a backup - otherwise, and especially as a non-NIL recipient, he'd already be in the league. 

The fact that Jokic defied all odds to become what he is has skewed people's viewpoints, I think.

He's the exception, not the rule.  You can't bank on that happening again. 

Yep, and even with that comparison, Jokic is an exceptional perimeter shooter and passer.  Edey is neither.  

Edey would fix all of our massive issues. That said, he's not a singular solution, no rookie is, even Tim Duncan or David Robinson but we aren't that far. All of our issues are obvious and most revolve around our offensive 5 which we don't have any with a pulse. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Fair enough.  So Landry here is my clear path to implementation:  Just make all the right picks.  

Few.  Glad I've done my part.

Stellar.  

You're being wasted in implementation.  Sign up for my 'idea guy' seminar.  Sounds like you'll fit right in. 

• Haha 3