• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do You Care For Josh?

benhillboy

The more I see Josh, the more I simply don't care about his play, good or bad. After last season, I thought he was on the fast track to serious All-Star consideration, improved jump shooting, stronger focus, less pouting, more blocks, more boards, more scoring, more of everything good, less of everything bad. I definately didn't expect his free-throw shooting to freefall daily. I cared about nothing going on in sports that didn't pertain to the Hawks re-signing him, and woke up infuriated when no news was reported, and even more pissed when the Hawks dragged their feet and actually had to compete with the Grizz on financial and managerial matters.

Now, I see Josh as the least important factor in wins or losses because he is so wildly inconsistent. Missing considerable time due to injury was the worst thing that could've happened to Josh, as he clearly didn't compensate in any way for missing time, thinking that he would return to last year's playoff form automatically. Teams are only afraid of his jumping ability as it pertains to rebounding and defending shots, not his positioning, boxing out, mastery of defensive assignments and strategy, timing on help, or plain defensive savvy. As soon as he bends his knees for a jumper, assistant coaches clap and rejoice at the transition oppurtunity. Four blocks, three steals? "Oh, the Thunder were just careless with the ball." A double-double? "It was against the Pacers." He hit a big, wide-open jumper in crunch-time? "He had a rabbit's foot under his jersey." A double-single? "One of Josh's patented 'struggling' nights, as Woody puts it." Five turnovers? "I'm surprised it wasn't more." Four-for-Ten at the line, and we lose a close one? "Sounds about right."

Basically, I am almost numb to whatever he does. It is hard to root for a player who, at one end of the court, can make a play that no other soul in the world can make. A minute later, your face is in your hands because he has done something that should've been fixed in AAU. I attribute none of Josh's struggles to Woody, because a coach can do little to nothing to retard the growth of a player who get's starter's minutes. I'm sure most here would agree that he has waaay too much freedom, that probably regresses his game in a wierd, reverse sort of way. He has as much right to lead breaks and shoot threes as I do. I've learned to take my Josh in small doses, with a grain of salt. If he shows out with 20-12-5-4-4, it's a premium. If he bombs with 10-4-2-1-1, what else is new. I know he's still relatively young and has world-class athleticism, but do you all ever see him "Getting It?"

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

He's a Hawk, and a good one at that. Everything the guy does get amplified around here. Yeah, his play can be frustrating at times, but you don't just "give up" ona guy who's giving you 15-8-2 a night. People act like HE was the 6th pick in the draft instead of the 17th pick who was looked at as an afterthought or project. Josh made himself into the player he is today through hard work and dedication. That may not impress some here with short memories, but I remember what he was when he first got here and I have to say that his improvement is nothing short of amazing. You know, despite the fact that we just clinched our 2nd consecutive playoff berth and are strongly entrenched as the 4th seed with homecourt advantage, the negativity directed at the coach and players has really picked up around here. I could understand the negativity when I first caught on with HS a few years ago, but now it just seems a bit out of place with our recent success. That's not a dig at the OP, I'm just making an observation.

im with you. If josh has a good game to good for him. if he has an off game(san antonio) its like "oh well". im not a guy who bashes any of our players that much because im not a serious typer. he is averaging 15-8-2-1.7. he will do a dumb play every now and the .All i care about is how he performs in the playoffs. he reminds me of JR Smith

To be honest with you. when smith isnt havent a good game by any means then the hawks are boring as hell to watch.

Edited by hoodstar

The more I see Josh, the more I simply don't care about his play, good or bad. After last season, I thought he was on the fast track to serious All-Star consideration, improved jump shooting, stronger focus, less pouting, more blocks, more boards, more scoring, more of everything good, less of everything bad. I definately didn't expect his free-throw shooting to freefall daily. I cared about nothing going on in sports that didn't pertain to the Hawks re-signing him, and woke up infuriated when no news was reported, and even more pissed when the Hawks dragged their feet and actually had to compete with the Grizz on financial and managerial matters.

Now, I see Josh as the least important factor in wins or losses because he is so wildly inconsistent. Missing considerable time due to injury was the worst thing that could've happened to Josh, as he clearly didn't compensate in any way for missing time, thinking that he would return to last year's playoff form automatically. Teams are only afraid of his jumping ability as it pertains to rebounding and defending shots, not his positioning, boxing out, mastery of defensive assignments and strategy, timing on help, or plain defensive savvy. As soon as he bends his knees for a jumper, assistant coaches clap and rejoice at the transition oppurtunity. Four blocks, three steals? "Oh, the Thunder were just careless with the ball." A double-double? "It was against the Pacers." He hit a big, wide-open jumper in crunch-time? "He had a rabbit's foot under his jersey." A double-single? "One of Josh's patented 'struggling' nights, as Woody puts it." Five turnovers? "I'm surprised it wasn't more." Four-for-Ten at the line, and we lose a close one? "Sounds about right."

Basically, I am almost numb to whatever he does. It is hard to root for a player who, at one end of the court, can make a play that no other soul in the world can make. A minute later, your face is in your hands because he has done something that should've been fixed in AAU. I attribute none of Josh's struggles to Woody, because a coach can do little to nothing to retard the growth of a player who get's starter's minutes. I'm sure most here would agree that he has waaay too much freedom, that probably regresses his game in a wierd, reverse sort of way. He has as much right to lead breaks and shoot threes as I do. I've learned to take my Josh in small doses, with a grain of salt. If he shows out with 20-12-5-4-4, it's a premium. If he bombs with 10-4-2-1-1, what else is new. I know he's still relatively young and has world-class athleticism, but do you all ever see him "Getting It?"

That's why he's such an intriguing player. For all the mistakes and frustration, the fact he has the ability to make plays nobody else can shows his importance. The goal is to funnel all highlight plays into more consistent, fundamental play....which falls into coaching. Many of Smoove's bad habits, laziness, directly stems from lack of discipline on the floor. This reflects negatively on our head coach.

• Moderators

That's crazy. If anything this season has proved that as Josh goes so go the Hawks. Josh had some really bad play this year. Not so coincidentally it was when the Hawks were really struggling. When he starting playing the right way we reeled off 7 in a row. It may be frustrating but he's the key. Its not because he's a superstar or anything. It's because no one else on the team can do what he does when he's on.

The thing is, Josh, when on, really contributes to wins. When he's off, he contributes to losses. For example, Josh is the team's best shot blocker, and can be a very effective inside scorer.

The problem is that he is just too inconsistant to be relied upon, but yet, he has to contribute for the team to be consistant.

The poster that brought up discipline is right on. Josh has got to find someway to even his emotions and energy out. Or even better, find a way to keep himself right on the edge of uncontrolable. When he plays with abandon on the defensive end, he is really good.

Coaching could help with this whole Josh issue. But, a lot of this is up to Josh and him figuring out what he needs to do to keep himself motivated throughout a game.

• Premium Member

Actually, the other day, I was thinking what if we traded Josh? What if we sent Josh and our first for Bosh?

Josh for Bosh kinda works for both teams. We get an allstar, they get an player with loads of potential and a contract that's signed plus a first.

That also fulfills the mantra of talent for allstar that Sund talked about.

My issue is that Bosh plays about as much defense as I do. I have never liked him, but he is 20/10. I think Horf will add the hardness.

Now I said I thought about it. Really it was one of the rare times that I have ever thought about tradiing Smoove. Simple reason is because Smoove could be good... but his attitude must change. Hell, I'd trade him for GWallace if his attitude remains where it is. Let's face it, Smoove's offense is not consistent and his defense is weak nowthat he lacks the explosion he used to have.

earlier this year I said we would be a much better team if we had made a Josh Smith for Lamar Odom trade. The problem Josh is that on a bad team he does a little bit of everything which keeps him focused. On a good team he starts to become pigeon held skill wise. We don't need him on offense doing so much, because we have others who do ball handling, outside shooting, posting up etc. better than he does. What we really need from him now is rebounding and hustling. Josh gets bored with that, loses focus, and starts screwing up. Josh needs his own team to be effective. But, this is Joe's team. I think Josh on a team like Golden State would be the force people are looking for him to be.

I agree with everything Benhillboy has said, except for the coaching angle. Josh would be a fine player for Jerry Sloan or Phil Jackson. Both wildly different, but both have the ability to communicate a philosophy and gameplan. It's all Woody. Josh is extremely talented. Woody is a moron of the highest order and it's not even a question to me, that a more motivated, intelligent coach would get the very best of Josh Smith. Is it a shock that a kid barely old enough to buy a drink would struggle from time to time at the NBA level, playing what is basically streetball? Not to me. It is a shock that people continue to blame him almost more than Woody. He's a kid. Woody should know better. He doesn't though, and he's done more to hurt Smoove than to help him. It's just another example of why the ASG doesn't deserve to own a team. We are wasting very good years and alienating one of our important pieces... and for what? Mike Woodson? Crazy pills, anyone?

Josh + Woody will never work. Woody gives him too much freedom to whine about EVERY non foul call, lets him dribble the ball up on the break, lets him take long jumpers, lets him get lazy around the basket. Josh doesn't have the brains or work ethic to manage himself and Woody doesn't want to do it. Woody & Josh's goal should be consistency. Eliminate the highs and the lows and learn to contribute in some way night after night. I don't see Woody changing and I dont see Josh getting smarter. I think this is it for Josh. He will never be a 20/10 guy and it's a shame with all his talent. Some things you just can't teach or change. Hoping Josh will someday "get it" is a losing battle. Best we can do is hope that the night's when he's "on" come at the times we need them most.....like in the playoffs.

I agree with everything Benhillboy has said, except for the coaching angle. Josh would be a fine player for Jerry Sloan or Phil Jackson. Both wildly different, but both have the ability to communicate a philosophy and gameplan. It's all Woody. Josh is extremely talented. Woody is a moron of the highest order and it's not even a question to me, that a more motivated, intelligent coach would get the very best of Josh Smith. Is it a shock that a kid barely old enough to buy a drink would struggle from time to time at the NBA level, playing what is basically streetball? Not to me. It is a shock that people continue to blame him almost more than Woody. He's a kid. Woody should know better. He doesn't though, and he's done more to hurt Smoove than to help him. It's just another example of why the ASG doesn't deserve to own a team. We are wasting very good years and alienating one of our important pieces... and for what? Mike Woodson? Crazy pills, anyone?

couldn't agree more. Josh with Woody is like a grandma driving a ferrari.

• Premium Member

I think Josh means well but really has no idea of how basketball should be played. How many times have you seen him do something so dumb that you wondered how he ever made it to the NBA? He has the god-given ability to be a HOF player but his mental makeup will be the one thing that holds him back. Josh reminds me of Stacey Augmen. I remember watching Augmen and thinking that he would be a good player one day but truthfully he had the mental makeup of a role player and I think that's what Josh ultimately becomes.

But I'm not mad at Josh. We Hawks fans have to keep in mind that the Hawks FO decided to pay Josh. The only thing Josh did was accept the money. When he signed his name on the contract his mental makeup did not magically change. The man is who he is and we fans may as we learn to accept that.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Its his attitude I can't stand. Attitude goes a long way.

He needs maturity and a decent attitude. He is lacking both. He does not conduct himself like a starter or top 3 players on a winning team should.

If we ever want to be a championship team Josh either has to grow up or we have to ship him out of town for similar talent with a better attitude.

The one positive is that he is taking less 3's and his post game has improved. The other parts to his game have regressed....like decision making, rebounding, and defense.

I think if they gave the Wonderlic test to NBA draft prospects................Josh would give Percy Harvin a run for his money for the lowest score. If he had any type of smarts about him, it would not take him 6 years to figure out the big picture of a game much more simple then football.

Edited by coachx