• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Another rumor

terrell

Best trade in Hawks history if it went down. I'm having a hard time seeing why Utah wants any part of Marvin's contract when they already have Kirilenko making a ridiculous fortune.

I agree, but I think when you look at the actual long-term affect for Utah, this might be a deal a little better than face value, although you'd think they could get more for him than that. Utah is currently $17 million over the cap. AK47's expiring deal will erase that and put them right at the cap. They'd have no money left to improve their team and would have the following under contract for 2011-2012

Harris, Jefferson, Millsap, Okur, Favors, Bell, Hayward, Evans, and draft picks. That's not horrible, but you've got 4 of your best players as PF and C (Favors, Jefferson, Okur, and Millsap). Okur's having an off year and has been injured so his trade value isn't real high right now. Favors is their future PF most likely, but projects long-term. Millsap gives them good production for his salary. Jefferson, they got for peanuts, is the highest paid of them all, albeit the best producer. He's locked in for 3 more years. If they can turn his guaranteed salary into cap space and a player that plays SG or SF, wouldn't that benefit them long-term?

If this deal were actually legit and took place, they'd have approximately $19 million under the cap and would have the following rotation:

Harris

SG???

Williams/Hayward/Evans

Millsap/Favors

Okur

They'd have draft picks and alot of money to accelerate the rebuilding phase. They could focus the money and picks at SG, backup PG, and future Center. When you've got that kind of flexibility, it allows you to reach a little on guys like Marvin Williams (all the potential components to being really good, but never quite became that player)

There may be some validity to it, but like I said, I'd think Utah could get a better haul for Jefferson.

• Like 1

Best trade in Hawks history if it went down, but I'm having a hard time seeing why Utah wants any part of Marvin's contract when they already have Kirilenko making a ridiculous fortune.

It would be behind getting Nique, but yeah damn good. Didn't we get Nique from the Jazz as well?

While I am very skeptical this trade will happen I would be the 1st to apologize for all my negative thoughts I have had toward the Hawks ownership these past several years! I might be a little too optimistic but IF this trade does happen I honestly think the Hawks would be legitimate contenders (at the very least the Hawks should be more competitive than they have been for a very, very long time!). Can you imagine the new Hawks core being JJ, Josh, Al (Horford) and Al (Jefferson)?

Sorry. No link. Got a call from a friend. He knows his s***. Says we were in talks with Utah. Said Jamal/Marvin/and possibly Zaza were involved, so we'd definitely get more than Jefferson in return. Take it for what its worth. lol! Dont know why we'd get rid of Jamal after signing Hinrich? We'll need that expiring contract next year. I think? But oh well, aint my $.

Sorry. No link. Got a call from a friend. He knows his s***. Says we were in talks with Utah. Said Jamal/Marvin/and possibly Zaza were involved, so we'd definitely get more than Jefferson in return. Take it for what its worth. lol! Dont know why we'd get rid of Jamal after signing Hinrich? We'll need that expiring contract next year. I think? But oh well, aint my $.

:shake_puter:

Maybe management believes Teague can handle the BU PG spot?

Wouldn't it make more sense to trade Jamal + Powell/Etan Thomas (+pick to sweeten pot if necessary)? straight up for Jefferson? Obviously Utah wants to shed salary and this would essentially cancel out Jefferson's contract entirely.

Nope, because we would add $13 million to next year. Meaning $64 million would go to $77 million and we would be $7 million over luxury. That's not happening. Marvin and Jamal for Jefferson and Miles might work though because we only add $6 million which would put us right at the luxury. We would then have to shed a lot of salary though. The only trade that works and keeps us under is Marvin, Zaza, and a 1st or Marvin, Zaza, and Teague. That's why I don't think it happens.

• Premium Member

Ah... I see that Kirilenko is expiring. I guess Marvin could make some sense... Though I still feel like Marvin doesn't make much sense for a rebuilding team since he is expensive and signed relatively long term. Maybe Utah likes Marvin but I'm sure they probably feel they can get more for Jefferson.

How about this trade:

Jamal / Zaza / Marvin

Kirilenko / Price / C.J. Miles

+ 4 on Espn's trade machine, plus we get out of Zaza and Marvin's contract.

Edited by Atlantaholic

• Premium Member

Nope, because we would add $13 million to next year. Meaning $64 million would go to $77 million and we would be $7 million over luxury. That's not happening. Marvin and Jamal for Jefferson and Miles might work though because we only add $6 million which would put us right at the luxury. We would then have to shed a lot of salary though. The only trade that works and keeps us under is Marvin, Zaza, and a 1st or Marvin, Zaza, and Teague. That's why I don't think it happens.

Hmmm.. not sure I follow. If we are currently at 64 and you take away Jamal and Etan / Powel's salary of aproximately 12 million then add Jefferson's contract of 13 million wouldn't we be at 65 million next year???

With no link it's hard to believe. Lots of this kind of talk goes around on the net. No offense to you.

IF THIS GOES THROUGH SUND IS MVP IN MY BOOK.