Blow up the team ?

EazyRoc

I know! I know! People post these after every loss, but I seriously think this could be the route we take. Our coach is decent, but nothing to rave about. Our talent is decent, nothing to rave about. We could probably make it to the second round, this year and next. However, for so long, we all wanted to see this team grow before we made any major trades. With Marvin wanting out (that's indicative of things falling apart), Joe speaking out, McGrady speaking out, and Joe on the decline we might be better served with another rebuild. Yes I said it. The word rebuild still makes me cringe when I think about it. However, we are only delaying the inevitable and will be a lot worse off if we do not become proactive.

• Like 4

YES, YES, YES... Its definitely time to rebuild. Just keep some players like Horford, Teague, and Smoove and build around them.

Brilliant idea, keep the 3 players that have the highest trade value and deal all the others that no one wants (for various reasons).

• Like 2

We have enough talent to not blow it up but he need the engine to the truck. We need a PG who can score, has court vision, and carry an offense. When Horford is healthy and we get the engine. We will be contenders who need to make small moves to get to the next level.

There's a key question! Do we truly want to win and go all the way?

If ASG has those intentions, then we got the answer!

Yes! Do everything possible to get Howard and a true PG! That, plus one of Al or Smoove should be the new core built on solid foundations and with financial flexibility to add necessary pieces.

• Premium Member

I know! I know! People post these after every loss, but I seriously think this could be the route we take. Our coach is decent, but nothing to rave about. Our talent is decent, nothing to rave about. We could probably make it to the second round, this year and next. However, for so long, we all wanted to see this team grow before we made any major trades. With Marvin wanting out (that's indicative of things falling apart), Joe speaking out, McGrady speaking out, and Joe on the decline we might be better served with another rebuild. Yes I said it. The word rebuild still makes me cringe when I think about it. However, we are only delaying the inevitable and will be a lot worse off if we do not become proactive.

Man you almost lost me in the first line. crazy.gif Drew is not a head coach.

I don't think we need to rebuild, but definitely we need a better, respectable coach and to get rid of our beloved Birdbrain. The man has no discipline at all and acts like he's the savior of the team. If you wonder why he gets those stat lines, it's because he monopolizes the ball so much. It's not hard to realize when he gets his "GOAT" games, the rest of the team doesn't even have a chance to do something. The game becomes "The J-Smoove's Jumper Show".

I'd be on the phone with the Lakers, or Memphis, right now. We have the pieces to make a good trade.

• Like 1

Man you almost lost me in the first line. crazy.gif Drew is not a head coach.

I don't think we need to rebuild, but definitely we need a better, respectable coach and to get rid of our beloved Birdbrain. The man has no discipline at all and acts like he's the savior of the team. If you wonder why he gets those stat lines, it's because he monopolizes the ball so much. It's not hard to realize when he gets his "GOAT" games, the rest of the team doesn't even have a chance to do something. The game becomes "The J-Smoove's Jumper Show".

I'd be on the phone with the Lakers, or Memphis, right now. We have the pieces to make a good trade.

Good point on Josh's "good" games. Those good games look really good on the stat sheet but it doesn't seem to really help the team. When Joe scores 20 or more the Hawks almost always win because you know Josh is doing his role as the garbage guy on offense. Instead when Josh takes jumpers, he is taking more shots from the rest of the team and causes the team to lose. We need to trade this guy before he gets completely out of control.

• Like 1

Blow up the team ?

Please do.

The team was built on the flawed BK philosophy of an all 6-8 roster. It doesn't work. It's not going to work. The "core" has had many years to get its act together. It's not going to.

I'm not saying they have to blow the entire thing up at one time, just do something. I'd rather watch the last "pre-BK" roster any day than this crap. At least JT, Sura, Przybilla, Rebraca, et al were interesting to watch and actually put forth some effort. In my opinion Stotts was a better coach than Woody or Woody Jr.

We have a PG and SF who defer too much. We have a PF who doesn't know the meaning of the word defer, and who thinks he's a 2 guard, and who whines and complains if he thinks the PG took some of the shots he felt should have been allocated to him. One of the most athletic players ever who is too stubborn to play to his strengths. An 18 ppg player who's paid like a 28 ppg player. A PF/C who has to get his daddy involved to try to get him moved out of the position we need him to play, at least for the time being.

If this isn't a team that needs to be blown up, there is no such thing as one.

• Like 2

I'd keep either Al or Smoove, JJ is not going anywhere due to the contract, and get a real center, a point guard that can play PnR and a coach that can coach. Of course that would require getting new ownership.

Surely someone will take on JJ's contract at some point ... I mean heck Rashard Lewis is getting 20+ million from the Wizards to put up awful stats. At least JJ is still capable of being a good player. But it's probably going to limit us to only being able to trade him to big market teams who don't mind being way over the luxury tax. The plus side is that if we were able to move him we'd probably get 2-3 decent players for him similar to what the Nuggets got for Carmelo.

Id rather keep Al and JJ.. I feel they can work alot bettet together than a JJ and Smoove or a Al and Smoove combo. With Al and JJ you have two level headed players who know their roles and arent gonna try to showboat

Id rather keep Al and JJ.. I feel they can work alot bettet together than a JJ and Smoove or a Al and Smoove combo. With Al and JJ you have two level headed players who know their roles and arent gonna try to showboat

And just as importantly you are keeping your best perimeter player and your most consistent frontcourt player. And I'd definitely keep Teague but I'd be looking to move Al to the 4 and finding a bigger center to pair him with, someone who likes playing in the paint and then I'd find a better 3 to replace Marvin.

Exactly Waka...if you are going to "blow it up" you have to blow the whole thing up...you can't just set fire to the outhouse.

I don't know about that. When we "blew it up" last time I think we'd have been better of keeping JT as he's been a tremendous player for Dallas all these years and Antoine has been out of the league for a while and only played for us for what 2 years at the most? So for me I think you need to assess which players are worth keeping long term and then move the ones who aren't.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

We can't just trade everyone under a contract. We realistically would trade either Al or Josh and Hinrich as an expiring if we were going to rebuild or remake the core.

I think this would be the sensible thing to do as this organization can no longer sell the "core" to fans. I think most Hawks fans have lost interest in waiting on a collection of players that as a unit was flawed from the start.

Here is something that I can relate to. Maybe we can trade Smoove for a lottery pick and bad contract(s). Then move Hinrichs expiring for a mid to late first and garbage. Three 1st round picks to try and build a talented roster anchored by our two all stars JJ and Horf.

Biggest obstacle is getting someone to bite on Smoove for a lottery pick. But I am sure there are some fans here who think he is worth two lol.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

I tend to like Buzzard's idea. But, I also don't mind the idea of tearing down to the foundation and starting anew. Of course, we have to bring a whole new coaching staff, and preferably a new front office. With Gearon Jr running the show, that isn't going to happen unfortunately.

My guess is that the ASG believes they have a shot at getting Dwight. And until that doesn't happen they are going to hold off on trades. Unfortunately, I just don't think Orlando is going to want what the Hawks offer.

As far as Smith. I really think he just needs to get the heck out of Atlanta. This will remove him from the enablers and make him start to listen to his coach and teammates. Frankly, Josh paired with Kobe would be sick. Josh and Rondo would also be a very nice combination.

I have no idea if the Hawks could move JJ. Maybe Washington would give us Lewis back with his shorter contract. We'd have to get a pick, but they'd put some protections on it.

Who in their right mind would trade for Marvin. Maybe we could get Metta W-P? That is probably asking too much in return. For me, just getting his contract off the books would be good enough at this point. What a complete waste of ability.

What we really need is truly creative GM/Owner that is willing to gamble to get better. The ASG appears to be risk adverse, but given there are 666 of them it is no wonder they can't make a decision.