• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How can u defend Josh? Just How can u

MoBetta

The thing that really baffles me is that when Josh gets in the low post or attacks the basket he shoots at a very high percentage and is usually fouled in the process. And yet he refuses to do either of those things consistently. I blame Josh for most of that but I also blame coaching. If you let him settle for long jump shots just inside the three point line which IIRC is the lowest percentage shot you can take in a half court for all players then you are to blame as much as the player. Sit his *ss until he does what he should be doing.

The scouting report on Josh out of H.S. suggest he liked shooting jumpers and did not like going to the hole or playing in the post. I guess if you could send him to Paris Island, they might have a chance at taking that *ussy out of him. I do not think the NBA has anything like Paris Island though.

• Moderators

The thing that really baffles me is that when Josh gets in the low post or attacks the basket he shoots at a very high percentage and is usually fouled in the process. And yet he refuses to do either of those things consistently. I blame Josh for most of that but I also blame coaching. If you let him settle for long jump shots just inside the three point line which IIRC is the lowest percentage shot you can take in a half court for all players then you are to blame as much as the player. Sit his *ss until he does what he should be doing.

While i don't disagree with this the problem is we have no capable bigs outside of Zaza. Sadly I think if we had put Mcgrady and Radman in the last 5 minutes for Marv and Josh we would have won that game.

The scouting report on Josh out of H.S. suggest he liked shooting jumpers and did not like going to the hole or playing in the post. I guess if you could send him to Paris Island, they might have a chance at taking that *ussy out of him. I do not think the NBA has anything like Paris Island though.

nba_g_stockton_sloan_576.jpg

• Like 1

While i don't disagree with this the problem is we have no capable bigs outside of Zaza. Sadly I think if we had put Mcgrady and Radman in the last 5 minutes for Marv and Josh we would have won that game.

nba_g_stockton_sloan_576.jpg

I love Sloan but even he had to give up on a few players.

I had a dream of a funny sketch about Josh in practice, throwing up airballs near the rafters and his teammates just looking with their mouths open in disbelief. There were trainers ready to catch the ball 5 feet away from the rim, behind the rim, and the ones that bounce off the top of the glass and land all over the place. And Josh was clapping his hands like he had a nice rhythym. And Drew is on the sidelines subtly nodding up and down, while Van Exel and the others are pulling each others hair, or scalp out. Joe is scratching his head, Teague's got his mouth open with huge bug eyes, and a cut-away to Marvin in the locker room playing Xbox. I know a dude who looks exactly like Josh, and he's well over 6 feet. It would be hilarious if MadTV or someone could do a parody of him, because he truly has become a caricature here. Or like the Lakers cartoon that used to come on SNL. I think a parody of the Hawks would get better attendance than the actual games. That crowd last night was embarrassing. We should actually put a Josh and Hawks spoof on YouTube to get them some exposure while therapeutically looking on the bright side with this team and create some laughs to keep from bashing our beloved Hawks.

Edited by benhillboy

I had a dream of a funny sketch about Josh in practice, throwing up airballs near the rafters and his teammates just looking with their mouths open in disbelief. There were trainers ready to catch the ball 5 feet away from the rim, behind the rim, and the ones that bounce off the top of the glass and land all over the place. And Josh was clapping his hands like he had a nice rhythym. I know a dude who looks exactly like Josh, and he's well over 6 feet. It would be hilarious if MadTV or someone could do a parody of him, because he truly has become a caricature here. Or like the Lakers cartoon that used to come on SNL. I think a parody of the Hawks would get better attendance than the actual games. That crowd last night was embarrassing.

I was just watching this lol

"dont worry mad dog, in prison they love to do it doggy style, haha im just sayin"

Edited by MoBetta

Josh isn't even a talent anymore, all the guy does is shoot jumpers. I liked him better when he was a rookie.

He is a great athlete by NBA standards but there is a huge difference with that and being a great talent. CP3 is a great talent, Josh as I said is a great athlete.

• Moderators

I can defend Josh!!!

just back up and give him the shot!

Kudos on that line.

I still think Josh is a talent. It is just very frustrating that he is his own biggest obstacle to success. If I were a new team getting him, I would give him some hard love and set a new baseline of expectations that he doesn't shoot long jumpers unlike his Hawks' coaches who have given him way, way too much freedom with his shot selection:

“Josh is five years in the league now, man,” Woodson said after Smith’s 5-for-19 shooting effort in the loss to the Rockets. “And it comes down to time, score and situation. That’s the bottom line. We’re not telling him he can’t shoot 3-pointers but if you miss four or five jump shots, something has to go off in his head that says, ‘I have to do something else.’ “

Coach Larry Drew on Josh Smith: It’s something he has worked on. I can see his stroke has changed. It looks different than the past. I’ve always said if a guy works on his game, works on taking a shot, if he has the ability to make it and shows he can make it, you have got to let him shoot it.

I saw this question asked:

Can you TEACH basketball IQ or is it just something you have or don't have?

Answer:

Of course you can. Think every smart NBA player was that smart when they were 10, 15, 20?

Josh is 8 years in and we keep seeing the same thing over and over...It's either he isn't being taught or he isn't retaining the information.

Answer:

Of course you can. Think every smart NBA player was that smart when they were 10, 15, 20?

Josh is 8 years in and we keep seeing the same thing over and over...It's either he isn't being taught or he isn't retaining the information.

Spike his gatorade with ritalin. I've been saying this for years.

• Premium Member

Answer:

It's an attitude problem. The man thinks he is above the coaches, and obviously it is also a coaching issue because the coaches let him do it.

Hmmmm..Hawks are 10=0 when Josh scores at least 20. You guys sure you want him to shoot less?

It's not how many shots he takes, it's the distance and time in game that he takes the long jumpers from. I'm sure in those wins Josh's shot attempts are closer to the basket.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Watching the game tonight you can see how easily Josh could be an efficient ~17/10/4/2/1.5 player. He did an excellent job in the first half playing around the basket and when he was catching near the top of the key he was making crisp passes. And once he had that awesome fake and drive. Missed a few close shots and tip-ins, but the positioning was great. He only took one jumper in the first half, and it was on a play where Teague and Zaza were converging at the rim and he circled out to make space. Got an open mid-range shot out it. Not a bad play really.

The 3rd quarter was typical 50/50 Josh. He had a handful of bad plays and a handful of good plays. Then he sat for most of the 4th quarter, but the 3 shots he did take were good shots even though he only got one make to show for it.

He has greatness within reach, he just refuses to grab hold! Beating the dead horse to further death, but I got a little glimmer of hope in the first half. Like he was finally ashamed of himself from the previous game. A few bad plays in the 3rd quarter to dispute that, but he finished strong. Tomorrow night will be...interesting. Assuming we're not down 30 by half.

• Premium Member

He has greatness within reach, he just refuses to grab hold! Beating the dead horse to further death, but I got a little glimmer of hope in the first half. Like he was finally ashamed of himself from the previous game. A few bad plays in the 3rd quarter to dispute that, but he finished strong. Tomorrow night will be...interesting. Assuming we're not down 30 by half.

Don't fall for it. Name me ONE player that has changed their entire mentality after 7 seasons of playing the exact same way?? It's like expecting Jamal Crawford to suddenly become more of a passer than a shooter. Josh has ALWAYS had stretches where he playes great, and as surely as the sun rises every morning, he eventually reverts to playing like a complete loser. This entire fan base needs to give up on this guy so we can move him and start building a new team, because this one is really tough to watch.