• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Get a good look because you will miss him once he is gone.

Brotha2ThaNite

First, I spoke in general. Secondly, I do agree that he should give the ball up to the guards. But, where are the guards when he's bring up the ball? Oh yeah, down the court running the lanes. Until they do what Bibby did and jump into Joshs face, he will continue to do it. Thirdly, Josh shoots long shots because of Drews terrible motion dominated scheme. Did you notice the difference when Drew ran set plays through Josh on the block? He dominated and worked inside-out against Serge and Durant. The coach has to define a players role from the start of the game. When Josh makes a couple easy shots in the post he begins to trust it and attack. When he attacks, its beautiful basketball for everyone. Now I hope Drew realizes it and further runs more post plays for him. The kid can be a nightmare when he has a role established for him during the game. Poor BBIQ comes from a player not having a defined role in a system. That's why Josh tries to do it all because his role and purpose isn't clear in this system.

cheers.gif Very well said! Most of us can't go that far into thinking things out. We just listen to what we heard the "media" say and think it's true.

First, I spoke in general. Secondly, I do agree that he should give the ball up to the guards. But, where are the guards when he's bring up the ball? Oh yeah, down the court running the lanes. Until they do what Bibby did and jump into Joshs face, he will continue to do it. Thirdly, Josh shoots long shots because of Drews terrible motion dominated scheme. Did you notice the difference when Drew ran set plays through Josh on the block? He dominated and worked inside-out against Serge and Durant. The coach has to define a players role from the start of the game. When Josh makes a couple easy shots in the post he begins to trust it and attack. When he attacks, its beautiful basketball for everyone. Now I hope Drew realizes it and further runs more post plays for him. The kid can be a nightmare when he has a role established for him during the game. Poor BBIQ comes from a player not having a defined role in a system. That's why Josh tries to do it all because his role and purpose isn't clear in this system.

Why is it that when Ivan is in the game or another PF they don't try and bring the ball up the court? Do you think that Josh is the only PF on our team who's role isn't defined in the offense?

And since grade school basketball players are taught to give the ball up to the guards so I don't buy that Josh doesn't know his role or that it's the guards fault, at least not their fault the majority of the time when they're screaming for the ball and he's ignoring them.

And "Poor BBIQ comes from a player not having a defined role in a system"? Seriously?? How does one even respond to that statement? I don't ever want to hear anyone refer to Josh Smith as having a low BBIQ after LD recently came out and explicitly said in his post-game interview that Josh is one of the most intelligent basketball players he's been around and that he sees things before they happen. Josh not giving the ball up or not being in the right position is a clear and conscious decision that he makes and not because he doesn't know any better.

Why is it that when Ivan is in the game or another PF they don't try and bring the ball up the court? Do you think that Josh is the only PF on our team who's role isn't defined in the offense?

And since grade school basketball players are taught to give the ball up to the guards so I don't buy that Josh doesn't know his role or that it's the guards fault, at least not their fault the majority of the time when they're screaming for the ball and he's ignoring them.

And "Poor BBIQ comes from a player not having a defined role in a system"? Seriously?? How does one even respond to that statement? I don't ever want to hear anyone refer to Josh Smith as having a low BBIQ after LD recently came out and explicitly said in his post-game interview that Josh is one of the most intelligent basketball players he's been around and that he sees things before they happen. Josh not giving the ball up or not being in the right position is a clear and conscious decision that he makes and not because he doesn't know any better.

Now that I agree with. Calling him a low BBIQ player is silly when you see how he quarterbacks the defense and the frustration on his face when people are not in position on sets, Joe holds it too long etc. I see him as being ahead of the curve....which means that when he doesn't give it up...it's a conscious decision. Either it is being encouraged behind the scenes or not being discouraged and he's decided he can and THAT HE WILL!!!

• Premium Member

After several years on this board there are two things I don't understand:

the posters who defend Josh despite some glaring holes to his game

the posters how attack Josh despite the many other positives he brings to the team

There has to be a balance between the two. Josh is a good player, great at times, but he has some glaring holes to his game that should be fixed.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

the posters how attack Josh despite the many other positives he brings to the team

There has to be a balance between the two. Josh is a good player, great at times, but he has some glaring holes to his game that should be fixed.

I think the nature of people is to be either positive or negative.

You can be positive about Josh and acknowledge that he does boneheaded things.

It's hard to be negative about Josh and acknowledge that he is a game changer... it's hypocrisy.

There are many Hawks fans though that just want to see Josh and JJ uprooted because for them it's not about the product on the floor, it's about proving that they can be a better GM than what we have. I call bunk on people who insist that we move somebody who has a big effect on how we play because of their contract.

Wtf? So every post I've read about Josh having a low BBIQ hasn't come from posters on this site?! Man Gtfoh!! At least have the balls to admit the truth. All i read on this board is post of how stupid he is, and his low BBIQ. Now you want me to think I'm just seeing things? Okay!!! LOL! Whatever Dolfan. And from a basketball standpoint, that's the reason why he's never developed a good BBIQ. What coach has literally taught him anything? Hell, look at the low historical development of players. I'm not sitting here blurting dumb logic, this is from a person that has played and understands the game.

Funny how Drew comes out and defends Joshs high BBIQ and everyone starts retracting their statements. LOL

Wtf? So every post I've read about Josh having a low BBIQ hasn't come from posters on this site?! Man Gtfoh!! At least have the balls to admit the truth. All i read on this board is post of how stupid he is, and his low BBIQ. Now you want me to think I'm just seeing things? Okay!!! LOL! Whatever Dolfan. And from a basketball standpoint, that's the reason why he's never developed a good BBIQ. What coach has literally taught him anything? Hell, look at the low historical development of players. I'm not sitting here blurting dumb logic, this is from a person that has played and understands the game.

Funny how Drew comes out and defends Joshs high BBIQ and everyone starts retracting their statements. LOL

Yep you should believe the posters on this board, who've never met Josh, over the guy who's been coaching him for what 8 years now? Seems logical to me! And you're right no coach has ever taught him anything, LD is a moron, so was Woody, and anybody can be an NBA coach. Put down the bottle Will!

Yep you should believe the posters on this board, who've never met Josh, over the guy who's been coaching him for what 8 years now? Seems logical to me! And you're right no coach has ever taught him anything, LD is a moron, so was Woody, and anybody can be an NBA coach. Put down the bottle Will!

Dolfan what are you talking about? I don't hold faith in any posters knowledge over Drews knowledge. I would be an idiot if i did that. I've always believed Josh to be a smart player that hurts himself trying to do it all. Obviously, you're putting words in my mouth so you should put down the bottle. Accept the fact that Josh is the life-blood of our team. He goes as we go.

• Premium Member

Don't we go through this at least 4 times a season every season? Josh plays great for a few weeks, all the jock-riders come out thumping their chest insulting all the people who are critical of his game, and then as soon as he starts sucking again all these people crawl back under their rock never to be heard of again... until, that is, another 9-10 game streak comes along. Call me when he plays at a high level during an entire season. The guy is a 7 year veteran, and a team captain, it should not be an unrealistic expectation for him to play with intelligence, poise, and consistency.

• Like 1

Don't we go through this at least 4 times a season every season? Josh plays great for a few weeks, all the jock-riders come out thumping their chest insulting all the people who are critical of his game, and then as soon as he starts sucking again all these people crawl back under their rock never to be heard of again... until, that is, another 9-10 game streak comes along. Call me when he plays at a high level during an entire season. The guy is a 7 year veteran, and a team captain, it should not be an unrealistic expectation for him to play with intelligence, poise, and consistency.

more like 3-4 game streak

Pretty soon Josh is going to be taking more shots per game than Joe this season, he is only .7 under him right now. Do we really want a guy that can't hit a jumpshot as our #1 option?

Problem is you can't be moderate without either extremes calling you names such as hater or hugger. There are a majority of posters even in this thread that are very objective when it comes to Josh or others to the point of even robotic analysis of him but they will immediately be called out by whichever opposing side to their observation and be labeled. From there you have cases where even a homer like Dol is being attacked like an opposite hard liner and of course he has to defend himself from baseless accusations with reason but reason doesn't work with extremists then it turns into a vicious cycle where moderates don't even care about Josh anymore they just want to combat outrageous negative or positive statements being made..... and.....Such is the Squawk

Dude, you know as well as many on here, Josh has always avg in the top 3 in every stat for this team. Hell, this year he's damn close to leading this team in every stat.

Every player is going to have their bad games. Josh is just the easy player to pick on because of his past. He is also the first to dive on the floor for a ball or draw a charge. How many times have you seen Joe or Marvin do that?

So please stop reaching

VERY WELL SAID.

I'M ALL FOR A CHANGE right now too. But Josh, Teague, and Horford are the last guys we should even think about trading unless the return us a star player. I guarantee you a lot of guys on this board have relationship problems with women (or possibly men - LoL - just saying, but to each its own). I say that because so many of you are very near sighted when it comes to our Hawks. It's always what have you done for me lately.

The millisecond one of the guys has a bad game or 2, it's off with their heads," trade him this, trade him that." A lot of us are the same with women and our possessions, "she pisses me off this" and "she'd be alright if that" and then we are on to the next chick, who 8 times outta 10 is way more screwed up and then we are stuck looking back at what could've been. It's funny how this applies to so much of our lives, right?

VERY WELL SAID.

I'M ALL FOR A CHANGE right now too. But Josh, Teague, and Horford are the last guys we should even think about trading unless the return us a star player. I guarantee you a lot of guys on this board have relationship problems with women (or possibly men - LoL - just saying, but to each its own). I say that because so many of you are very near sighted when it comes to our Hawks. It's always what have you done for me lately.

The millisecond one of the guys has a bad game or 2, it's off with their heads," trade him this, trade him that." A lot of us are the same with women and our possessions, "she pisses me off this" and "she'd be alright if that" and then we are on to the next chick, who 8 times outta 10 is way more screwed up and then we are stuck looking back at what could've been. It's funny how this applies to so much of our lives, right?

Oh well, my marriage of 26+ years is inevitably doomed for failure. And it's all because I sometimes get annoyed with Josh Smith's inconsistency!

lol6.gif

Edited by Watchman

• Premium Member

VERY WELL SAID.

1 bad game or 2? It's like you guys just listen to whatever you want to hear.

Josh Smith Ranks

TS% - 11th (Only Hinrich is worse among rotation players)

FT% - 14th (dead last)

FG% - 6th (seems decent, except that for a player that gives you nothing from 3 point land this is bad)

3P% - 9th (out of 10 players who have attempted 3s. again only Hinrich is worse)

Win Shares per 48 minutes - 8th. (no rotation player other than T-Mac and Hinrich are worse)

Sad part is that overall, he has definitely been our best player this season... only problem is that we SUCK this season. What frustrates people is that with his length and athleticism there is NO REASON at all that the guy should be as inefficient a scorer as he is. He continues to take horrible shots (every single game, not just 1 or 2 games), and instead of being a Kevin Garnet the guy is being a Rasheed Wallace. He could be a nice piece for a team with superstars and a coach that can subdue him, but we need him to be a superstar and a leader, otherwise we are better off trading him and looking for a star elsewhere, because without one we aren't going anywhere other than home early during the playoffs.

Edited by Atlantaholic

Again why in the hell is anybody blaming anybody else for the way josh plays....so literally somebody has to tell him what to do at all times for him to do his job correctly, he cant just see whats wrong and try to fix that after 7 years. And you people actually see this as a legitimate excuse....he hasn't had a coach teach him anything so its ok that he just goes out and does what he wants, really???? WTF?????? That was ok when he was 19,20,21...I'll even give him a year or 2 after that, but now, no excuse for this crap.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

There are only TWO THINGS that I hate about Josh!!!!

1. Bringing the ball up on the break

2. Shooting jumpers

Take those two issues out of the picture and Josh would be the best player on this team, an allstar, and a guy on the levels of kevin love and LMA, and he would be our franchise player!!!

Ditto.

• Premium Member

What is consider ape s***? Read the forums. <cntrl> <f> "Josh Smith."

All those GMs are sure wanting that 6th man really bad. That's for sure. Never knew that a "sometimes" 6th man could bring us in huge pieces. Even when Josh is the "worst" player on the court, he will always be there on the defensive sides, making players double think about driving in the paint. People reflect way to much on the offensive side of the game.

I just thought I would provide some recent evidence of Josh being there on the defensive side! Enjoy... (1:54)

Edited by BrazilianHawk

• Premium Member

ahah, Dolfan... maybe we are just as intelligent as Josh. I always know what is about to happen a second before Josh takes a jumper!